Applied Climate Economist
First Street Foundation
Our mission at Risk Factor and First Street is to make physical climate risk data accessible and actionable for businesses, governments, and individuals. We started seven years ago by working with the world’s leading climate scientists to create groundbreaking, climate-adjusted models for Flood, Wildfire, Extreme Heat, and Hurricane Wind. Climate-based disasters cost the US billions each year. Our data leads to smarter decisions that reduce the impact of climate change on businesses, communities, and individuals.
Our data and tools are already used by:
- Government agencies. Ranging from the U.S. Department of Treasury to Fannie Mae
- Companies. Ranging from Bank of America to Amazon
- Millions of consumers on Redfin, Realtor.com, and our own site, Risk Factor.
This position will work with the Climate Implications Team, to contribute directly to the development of scientific products associated with the implications of climate risk at the property level using data from, but not limited to, the suite of hazards developed and displayed on RiskFactor.com. A key focus of this role will be on the translation of risk from climate hazard data to meaningful implications, with a focus on the ability to tie those implications to the property level through the application of statistical quantitative models (including but not limited to implications from climate risk to and around property values, tax revenue, commercial real estate, and larger community downstream effects). Additionally, this role will participate in the production of research in the form of white papers, reports, and peer-reviewed scientific articles and in support of the First Street mission, communication needs, and organizational requirements.
- Applying statistical and causal modeling techniques to solve various climate implications research questions, using programmatic statistical software packages.
- Conducting background research and using insights from the current state of academic and industry literature to inform approaches in quantitative modeling for various implications projects, such as the association between climate hazard risk/exposure and climate migration, property value changes, rent demand, supply chain disruptions, insurance risk, and other publicly relevant topics across the United States to climate risk.
- Writing content in a scientific and technical tone that is accessible to both expert and non-expert readers, for the support of internal and external stakeholders.
- Assisting, and periodically leading, in the development of research papers and reports for publication.
- Assisting, and periodically leading, in the documentation and presentation of data, variables, and methods for the development of materials for the clear communication of content and process as it relates to the data and models being produced by First Street and its partners.
- Development of implications focused models and products created through the identification, and execution, against business and product requirements.
- Increasing responsibility associated with the management of projects set against organizational deadlines.
Experience / competencies:
- The ideal candidate will have the ability to pay exceptional attention to detail, be able to work independently on multiple projects at once, and be very organized in their day-to-day work.
- Experience in the application of statistical models in the understanding of economic/financial impacts associated with climate change
- Expertise using scripted languages to efficiently and reproducibly create quantitative modeling outputs (R, Python, etc.).
- Experience with database querying and aggregation, particularly with SQL
- Experience with big data analysis and parallel processing workflows.
- Capability of executing with a high degree of concern for accuracy and reproducibility.
- Experience in the development and timely completion of research papers/reports.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience
- Bi-annual bonus of up to 20% of salary
- Medical, dental, and vision plans
- Voluntary 401K plan and life insurance
- Generous paid time off, holidays, and sick leave
- 12 weeks of fully paid parental leave
- Working on the world’s biggest issue with other passionate professionals