Business Development Manager - Climate Change
First Street Foundation
We are a research and technology non-profit organization with a mission to make climate risk accessible, easy to understand and actionable for every individual, business and government agency in the country.
Climate based disasters cause billions in property damage every year and are increasing dramatically. The best science highlighting the issue is complex, happening in silos, and left in peer reviewed journals. Because of this, millions of Americans are making the biggest investment decision of their lives without a true understanding of their risk.
First Street Foundation’s climate data software tool Risk Factor (www.riskfactor.com) solves this problem for flooding, wildfire, and extreme heat and we are just getting started.
We have started a revolution in climate risk data, we have proven product market fit, and we are trailblazing a path to create a new philanthropic model that moves away from donors and is entirely self-sustaining ensuring predictable revenue and continued growth and impact. It is with this foundation that we want to supercharge growth. To do this, we are looking for an experienced Business Development Manager.
The successful candidate is driven by their passion for fighting climate change and thrives in a fast-paced environment. The Business Development Manager will report to the Head of Business Development. The role will be strategic (targeting and researching new leads), client-facing (first point of contact for new leads), and creative (contributing to marketing/sales collateral and product positioning). Some travel may be required.
- Working collaboratively with the Leadership Team to create and implement strategies for reaching top-line revenue goals
- Proactively research, identify and qualify new clients, markets and partner opportunities
- Leading communications with potential clients to establish a relationship and facilitate conversations
- Planning, overseeing and traveling as needed to events and activities, including conferences and networking opportunities
- Collaborating with the Product Team to develop winning collateral, presentations and proposals
- Providing key insights on existing clients for feature development and product collaboration
- Consistently track and maintain an organized database of contacts with high attention to detail
This role is open to New York-based candidates. You’ll be expected to work from our office in Dumbo, Brooklyn 3 days a week.
- 1-3+ years direct experience building and sustaining deep relationships with clients
- Proven ability to enter into new markets with data that has not been available previously
- Preferred knowledge of climate change data and the current industry landscape including regulation
- Preferred MBA or undergraduate business degree
- Hands on and “in the weeds” type, with an understanding of how things work and constantly suggesting improvements
- Relentless attention to detail and overall client needs
- Excellent writing, editing, communication, and public speaking skills
- Strategic thinking: able to understand a prospective client’s needs, identify competitive differentiators, and execute win strategies
- A deep passion for climate change. Love of data and science is a bonus!
- Energetic, competitive spirit: driven to win and able to lead with optimism and persistence
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and CRM platforms
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience
- Bi-annual bonus of up to 20% of salary
- Medical, dental and vision plans
- Voluntary 401K plan and life insurance
- Generous paid time off, holidays and sick leave
- 12 weeks of fully paid parental leave
- Professional development budget
- Tech startup environment and a new (dog-friendly) office space filled with cold brew and snacks
- Working on the world’s biggest issue with other passionate professionals
- Passion: We are driven by our shared goal to fight climate change
- Inclusion: We believe the best decisions consider many points of view
- Impact: We only focus on things that move the needle
- Urgency: We move quickly because the world depends on it
- Integrity: We use open science and operate transparently