Title: SMS Director
Reporting to: VP Digital Engagement
Location: United States / Remote, requires U.S. work authorization
Term: Permanent, Full-Time
Deadline: For priority consideration, submit an application by F October 20
WorkMoney is a nonprofit organization dedicated to lowering costs and raising incomes for all Americans to make American life more affordable and American families more economically secure. We provide products, services, perks, benefits, tips, and tools to help members improve their financial lives. We are a trusted source of information about financial matters, economic policy, and public debates about the economy for our 5 million (and growing) members. We also activate and engage our members in advocacy campaigns to support policies and elected leaders to support our core vision that everyone in America can afford to live a good life. Find out more about WorkMoney at workmoney.org and Facebook.
Why we need an SMS Director
In 2023, we have increased our presence and investment across a broader range of paid, owned, earned, and shared channels, enabling us to advance our core vision. As we continue to expand the WorkMoney brand and proposition, the role of SMS Director is critical to maintain strong member relationships on our original and primary channel, and contribute to our organization-wide goals and overall messaging plan approach.
We are focused on digital engagement strategies that help us communicate with – and learn from – our growing base of members across the country. We have built a strong program that we’re proud of; and our ambition for our SMS program continues to grow, so we need a strong leader with the right expertise to help us get there.
What the SMS Director will do
WorkMoney has built an unprecedented SMS program: we have one of the largest SMS lists for an organization like ours, plus some remarkable results to show for our work. We are looking for someone who can drive our strong SMS program onward & upward: to put money in the pockets of everyday Americans and make it clear how public policy impacts regular people’s wallets.
We are seeking an expert in personalization – someone who can think and act with a member-first-mindset; and, do this across a wide range of segments based on what our members actually need (think: parents, seniors, younger folks, geography, income, and lots more). You’ve got to be able to dig in & understand our members' needs and their points of view – and then deliver real value to them over time (learning and optimizing as you go). Our program is an integrated broadcast & peer-to-peer program where we can blend automation and human responses to get members what they need.
The SMS Director will be responsible for the overall member experience on SMS. You’ll make sure our tools do what they need, direct development for new tools & solutions as needed, and lead the team in developing & executing the SMS strategy in partnership with stakeholders across the organization. In addition, the SMS Director will make sure we have the internal processes in place to allow for this team & its members to continue to grow & fulfill our important role within the organization.
- Develop and implement SMS strategy to contribute to organization-wide goals and overall messaging plan approach.
- Lead the program towards always asking “now what?” and make data-informed, tactical, and strategic decisions. Know “what” message & “who” it will resonate with – audience insights are essential.
- Lead the partnership with the Data, Analytics and Insights team to refine audience segmentation, test/learn plan, and overall optimization of member experiences.
- Manage performance KPIs across SMS (retention, engagement, money saved for members, trust, etc) and ensure the program is executed to achieve performance results.
- Drive an expansion of our SMS personalization capabilities & effectiveness.
- Stay on top of relevant rules/regulations for TCPA/CTIA/MMA compliance and run the program in line with industry best practices.
- Ensure a high level of technical expertise and provide a point of view on the SMS platform, leading the team in execution across platforms in partnership with the Digital Innovation Team as we incorporate additional new channels.
- Work in partnership with leadership across the Engagement team & the organization to ensure that there are efficient team processes in place to allow for everyone on the SMS team to do their best work in a fast-paced, often changing environment.
- Lead the SMS team (currently 4 team members).
What we’re looking for in a candidate
We are looking for a candidate who is ready to roll up their sleeves and lead our SMS strategy to success. If you have a strong background in SMS marketing, copy & message development, experience mastering & suggesting improvements to different SMS tools, and experience in leading a team, we would love to hear from you.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in SMS marketing.
- Proven experience in developing and implementing SMS strategies that have driven strong onboarding performance, higher engagement metrics, greater personalization, and better audience retention.
- Strong technical expertise in SMS platforms and execution.
- Experience evaluating & optimizing creative performance (overall & within segments)
- Knowledge of Audit/TCPA/CTIA/MMA Compliance for shortcode and 10DNS campaigns.
- Experience in people management and in leading a team.
- Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Nice to Haves
- Experience with advocacy, legislative or electoral campaign strategy.
- Experience in the direct-to-consumer financial services industry.
- Experience in working in a fast-changing environment.
We’re proud to offer generous benefits like competitive pay, expansive paid time off options, and employer contributions to retirement and student loan repayment. WorkMoney covers the premiums for healthcare, dental, and vision plans so you don’t have to, offers a 6% 401K employer match, four weeks paid vacation, generous paid family and medical leave, and annual allowances for remote work and professional development.
The salary for this role is $140,000 annually and as part of our commitment to pay transparency and equity in our organization, the starting salary for this position is not negotiable.
Why join our team?
Our workplace is dynamic and we aren’t afraid to pivot when things don’t work. We’re mission driven, hard working, and scrappy AF. We have a good time working on hard things, and embrace the line ‘feedback is a gift’. We jump in to help each other, and make time to reflect when things go well and not so well. The truth of the matter is: we’re doing cool stuff with really cool people and having a great time doing it.
While this is a fully remote workplace, domestic travel is required for full team annual retreats and intermittent team working sessions and retreats.
WorkMoney is an equal opportunity employer. WorkMoney prohibits unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on age, color, disability, gender, marital status, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, expression, gender identity, veteran’s status, or any other basis prohibited by law. We see diversity of all kinds as a necessary precondition to doing our work well and strive to build a team that reflects the diverse composition of America itself. We strongly encourage applicants from historically under-represented communities to apply.
Follow the link to the application page, complete the required fields, and submit a resume. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.