Strategic Partnerships Consultant
Title: Strategic Partnerships Consultant
Reporting to: VP Consumer Products and Services
Location: United States / Remote, requires U.S. work authorization
Term: Contractor, Minimum Term 6 months
Compensation: Hourly Rate Subject to Negotiation
Deadline: Candidate submissions will be reviewed on a rolling basis
WorkMoney is dedicated to lowering costs and raising incomes for all Americans to make American life more affordable and American families more economically secure. We provide products, services, perks, benefits, tips, and tools to help members improve their financial lives, and we have become a trusted source of information about financial matters, economic policy, and public debates about the economy for our 3.7 million (and growing) members. We are in the midst of a growth period as a company and as a brand. In 2023, we will be increasing our presence and investment across a broader range of paid, owned, earned and shared channels which will enable us to advance our core vision that everyone in America can afford to live a good life. You can find out more about WorkMoney at workmoney.org and Facebook.
About WorkMoney’s Service Offering
WorkMoney is currently looking to scale its new service that helps Americans get access to benefit programs that put money directly into their pockets. Through this personalized navigation approach, WorkMoney continues to help people not only understand the programs and credits available to them, but also helps them access these benefits through education and outreach campaigns, automated support tools (eligibility calculators, chatbots) and personalized human support (live chat, phone support).
Our ambition is to connect with millions of Americans via outreach and awareness campaigns coupled with trusted information on how to access these money-saving programs to make ends meet, to better manage their debt, or to afford bigger purchases. We've already helped enroll tens of thousands of our WorkMoney members in new and existing federal, state, and local programs, through people-powered outreach and support. All of this is in service to our vision to help all Americans to afford to live a good life.
Proposed Scope of Work
We are looking for a consultant to supercharge our large scale partnership development work. This would primarily entail identifying and building relationships with target companies and networks that would be ideal for strategic alliance conversations as we look to deliver value to everyday Americans.
We are interested in building partnerships with large corporate retail brands, credit unions and financial services institutions, and other large organizations (Fortune 200 corporations) with the goal of driving more awareness of WorkMoney and connecting folks with eligible programs. The aim is to find more members or consumers who could benefit from our new service offerings.
To be successful in this role, the candidate will come with pre-existing networks and solid experience in business development. The right candidate must also be an effective collaborator with internal stakeholders as the role will require collaborating with multiple internal teams including Product, Marketing, Policy, Data and Analytics, Legal and Finance. The ideal candidate thrives in an entrepreneurial environment and enjoys identifying and championing complex and multi-stakeholder projects.
Expectations and Responsibilities
- Identify target partner companies and networks with a focus on commercial corporate and retail entities
- Work with the VP of Consumer Products and Services to develop a framework to assess and prioritize partners, which balances scale, mission alignment, depth of impact, and potential revenue generation opportunities
- Outline business proposals and recommendation for each proposed partner for executive team review
- Initiate relationships and secure meetings with the appropriate level leaders at priority partner organizations
- Build pitch narrative and win-win components for both parties
- Negotiate initial business terms / agreement components with individual partners and contribute to development of a standard partnership agreement (in collaboration with our legal counsel)
- Work closely with the teams tasked with the integration and activation of new partnerships
- Support partner relationship management and ongoing metrics sharing between WorkMoney and signed partners
- Lead go-to-market plan development and support processes that meet the strategic objectives of all parties involved - develop strategic plan, goals and programs for each of the intended partners, with a focus on WorkMoney Member value creation
Requirements / Qualifications
- A network of business relationships and contacts
- Experience in business development, relationship management, and project management and a passion for execution, innovation, and business development
- Proactive leader who can manage complex partner relationships and execution to achieve defined business goals and metrics
- Works well both independently and across teams
- Excellent presentation and public speaking ability, with experience presenting to executive audiences
- Demonstrable written & communication skills,
- Strong business sense – including expertise in business development, internal and external trends, and agility to adapt to changing conditions/priorities to enable strong strategic and tactical execution
- Highly organized with keen attention to detail
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced, diverse environment
To fulfill this role successfully, you should demonstrate the following minimum qualifications:
- Minimum of ten (10) years of work experience
- Seven (7) years of experience in business development or partnership cultivation
- Five (5) years of experience either leading a team and/or complex project
- Able to commit to a minimum term of 6 months
- Flexibility to travel 20%, as required
We know how labor intensive the consulting proposal process can be. We also know it can put an undue burden on sole proprietors and smaller firms. We welcome submissions from individuals and firms alike, and subsequently created a two-step process that lowers the stakes and initial time investment needed to express your initial consideration.
For the first step, we ask that you submit a Statement of Interest as soon as you are able. This should include the following items, uploaded as a single PDF in the ‘Resume’ field of the application form.
- Statement of Interest that includes:
- Personal statement that articulates your interest in partnering with WorkMoney for this term
- Overview of key highlights and results from prior business development work
- List of corporate partners with whom you have experience
- Client list, if available
- Any substantive questions you may have, that if invited to submit a consulting proposal, would be helpful context
Upon review of the Statement of Interest, we will invite Consulting Proposals from parties we’d like to move forward with. The requirements for the fuller Consulting Proposal are below reference.
- Consulting proposal for 6 month term that includes:
- Summary of general approach and process for prospecting and cultivating relationships with targeted partners
- Paragraph outlining what would need to be minimally developed (and by whom) to pitch prospective partners, and the range of possible deliverables that we could negotiate as part of this SOW
- Estimated outline of activities for the 6 month term and what results / targets you might expect being able to achieve
- Hourly rate
- Hours available per week
- Travel flexibility
- Any additional considerations regarding your availability
- Samples of prior work
Thank you for your interest in partnering with us on this work. We look forward to reviewing your application!