Staff Full Stack Software Engineer (U.S. Remote)
Title: Staff Full Stack Software Engineer (U.S. Remote)
Reports to: Chief Digital Officer
Location: United States / Remote, requires U.S. work authorization
Term: Full Time Permanent Preferred; Full Time Contract Optional
Compensation: See salary section for Staff and Senior Staff rates
Deadline: Candidates will be reviewed on a rolling basis, until the position is filled
WorkMoney is dedicated to lowering costs and raising incomes for all Americans to make American life more affordable and American families more economically secure. We provide products, services, perks, benefits, tips, and tools to help members improve their financial lives, and we have become a trusted source of information about financial matters, economic policy, and public debates about the economy for our 3.7 million (and growing) members. We are in the midst of a growth period as an organization and as a brand. In 2023, we will be increasing our presence and investment across a broader range of paid, owned, earned and shared channels which will enable us to advance our core vision that everyone in America can afford to live a good life. You can find out more about WorkMoney at workmoney.org and Facebook.
Why We’re Hiring a Staff or Senior Staff Full Stack Software Engineer
WorkMoney has proven that it can connect with people in need and help them understand, apply for, and benefit from a specific program. We need an entrepreneurial Staff or Senior Staff Full Stack Engineer to help us strategize how to leverage technology to prove that we can do this across multiple programs while maintaining a high quality service, and to help us do it quickly enough to test our hypothesis along the way.
We are looking for someone to join our team on a full time basis and would prefer to onboard someone as a permanent employee. However, we recognize some candidates might prefer a contractor position in which case the minimum term would be six months.
The opportunity is tremendous. We are looking for someone who will build out key pieces of this service offering, help shape our product and tech strategy, and our build versus buy strategy. We know that being the first engineer is a tall order. You will get exposure to different technology solutions, and probably some things you are not familiar with. We’ll give you the space to ramp up and learn to ensure you’re able to:
- Collaborate with leadership to understand business needs and develop a technical strategy and roadmap
- Be the technical voice on “build vs buy” decisions
- Contribute to the architecture and design of the product
- Design and implement the key technological components that we’ve chosen to build in house
- Write well documented, maintainable, and scalable code - that is appropriate for the stage of organization. (You know how to build for scale, but you also know how to build something that is just good enough to get something out the door in order to validate hypotheses.)
- Manage individual project requirements, priorities, and deliverables in a timely manner
- Help define additional engineering or other technical team member roles
What You Will Build
In the near term, we are looking for someone who can architect and implement this product, which will involve creating a system that can:
- Support agents’ ability to provide customers information about relevant benefits and programs offered on the federal, state, and local levels, help those customers understand their eligibility, and help them apply
- There has never been a national service that attempts to navigate so many programs, so a big part of the challenge is ensuring that agents are well equipped with accurate, specific information that is easy to navigate
- Enable agents to have access to high quality information that will help them service their customers
- Automate where possible and necessary
- Enable any automated messaging to be personalized and contextualized
- Enable customers to get the info they need, whether it be via a phone call, SMS conversation, or through self directed learning
- Store detailed customer information, including behavioral data
- Extract customer insights
- Create a unified corpus of messaging that can be used to draw insights, train models, and enable us to understand quality of customer service
We fully expect that this effort would involve evaluating and leveraging 3rd party tools to fulfill different needs and building some of the components in house, but how we approach this would be greatly influenced by you! Our current tool list includes:
- Salesforce CRM
- Strive (for outbound SMS engagement)
- Klaviyo (email)
- Infobip Conversations (for customer service)
What You’ll Need to be Successful
You’ll be the first software engineer hired internally, and will work with a passionate and experienced team spanning product, user research, data analytics and data engineering, policy research, and customer service. Everyone here works beyond their strict job descriptions to maximize our learning and impact, and you should be down to do the same.
We are intentionally not listing out the “qualifications” because we are open to a variety of backgrounds. If you’re excited by the opportunity and responsibilities laid out in the previous two sections and believe you have the skills to succeed, we invite you to apply.
We’re proud to offer generous benefits like competitive pay, expansive paid time off options, and employer contributions to retirement and student loan repayment. WorkMoney covers the premiums for healthcare, dental, and vision plans so you don’t have to, offers a 6% 401K employer match, four weeks paid vacation, generous paid family and medical leave, and annual allowances for remote work and professional development.
This position is hugely important to WorkMoney’s success. And because of that, we’re casting a fairly wide net for talent. We have two salary rates available for the position which are commensurate with experience: 1) annual salary of $210,000 if hired at the Senior Staff level and 2) annual salary of $175,000 if hired at the Staff level.
As part of our commitment to pay transparency and equity in our organization, the salary for this position is not negotiable.
Why Join Our Team?
Our workplace is dynamic and we aren’t afraid to pivot when things don’t work. We’re mission driven, hard working, and scrappy AF. We have a good time working on hard things, and embrace the line ‘feedback is a gift’. We jump in to help each other, and make time to reflect when things go well and not so well. The truth of the matter is: we’re doing meaningful work with really cool people and having a great time doing it.
WorkMoney is an equal opportunity employer. WorkMoney prohibits unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on age, color, disability, gender, marital status, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, expression, gender identity, veteran’s status, or any other basis prohibited by law. We see diversity of all kinds as a necessary precondition to doing our work well and strive to build a team that reflects the diverse composition of America itself. We strongly encourage applicants from historically under-represented communities to apply.
Follow the link to the application page, complete the required fields, and submit a resume. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.