People Operations Associate
At the Wikimedia Foundation, the Talent & Culture team is committed to supporting our mission-driven, brilliant staff. We deeply care about improving the lives of our employees and supporting their work. We’re looking for a thoughtful and detail oriented human resources professional to support the People Operations team and our people processes. This will also be the face of the organization for new employees, so we are also looking for someone who is also welcoming and friendly.
You are responsible for:
US Employee Lifecycle
- Responsible for preparing, coordinating, maintaining, sending and updating onboarding and offboarding documents, checklists and communications. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: collecting and entering data, sending communications, reviewing, preparing and or saving paperwork, reviewing and completing profiles in HRIS, creating personnel files, eVerify/I-9 retention, updating checklists, notifications to all parties involved such as staff, ITS, payroll, manager, etc, and all other steps.
- Review and respond in a timely manner to staff queries that come in through email, zendesk, slack, and Namely. Independently prioritizing those tasks based on timing and urgency of the request to ensure completion. Escalating any items that may need to be addressed by management or other areas of T&C, finance, etc.
- Timely review and processing of employee and manager changes to ensure that all systems and records are updated appropriately and in line with relevant laws and guidelines. This may include but is not limited to: line manager changes, employee promotions, salary increases, tax changes, address changes, etc.
- Maintain accurate and complete employee data in the HRIS system. This includes reviewing and actioning change requests for US staff members in a timely and thorough manner.
- Review and complete adhoc requests within the required period of time to ensure compliance with local laws. This could include unemployment claim forms, verification of employment, data requests, etc.
Programs and Projects
- Assist in a personnel file digitization project to complete the move of all hardcopy personnel, benefits, and Form I-9 files to an electronic system
- Support federal reporting requirements based on the specifications of government agencies
- Using excel and HRIS reports, support in compiling and auditing employee data as we integrate to a new HRCM and other projects as needed
- Provide support on additional projects as assigned
Skills and Experience:
- 2 yrs experience in human resources or related
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Thoroughness and attention to detail
- Ability to quickly learn internal processes
- Experience and comfort using Excel formulas such as vlookup and if/then statements
- Experience using an HRIS system in an administrator capacity
- Ability to adhere to HR best practices to ensure compliance with local, state, and federal laws
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in a related field
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Familiarity with US employment laws (local, state and federal)
- Experience with Namely and Ceridian Systems
- Technical and analytical aptitude
- Experience using Google suite
- Located within commuting distance of San Francisco, CA to occasionally go into the office
- We always appreciate a great sense of humor!
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge freely. We host Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive donations from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a remote-first organization with staff members including contractors based in more than 50 countries. Salaries at the Wikimedia Foundation are set in a way that is competitive, equitable, and consistent with our values and culture. The anticipated annual pay range of this position for applicants based within the United States is US$ 58,707 to US$ 89,613 with multiple individualized factors, including cost of living in the location, being the determinants of the offered pay. For applicants located outside of the US, the pay range will be adjusted to the country of hire. We neither ask for nor take into consideration the salary history of applicants. The compensation for a successful applicant will be based on their skills, experience and location.
All applicants can reach out to their recruiter to understand more about the specific pay range for their location during the interview process.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks
News from across the Wikimedia movement
Our Commitment to Equity
This is Wikimedia Foundation
Our Tech Stack