Data Center Engineer
Wikimedia Foundation is hiring a Data Center Engineer to work out of our data center site in Ashburn, VA. This role will maintain and provide hands-on hardware support across our fleet of Dell, HP, and Juniper devices. Regular working hours will be Monday-Friday during the daytime, with onsite presence being a requirement. The ticket queue being used will be Phabricator, while the primary forms of communication will be in Coupa, Slack, and IRC channels, with key stakeholders being supported in the SRE and Finance groups. A basic understanding and use of Linux and hardware troubleshooting skills will be necessary for this position.
- Deployment of new servers and network devices via racking/stacking and OS configuration, while also refreshing/decommissioning out-of-warranty hardware
- Basic use of Linux commands to troubleshoot, isolate, and resolve hardware issues on various different platforms.
- Familiarity with diagnosing failed hardware components - motherboards, CPU, RAM, power supplies, drives, controllers, batteries, backplanes, NICs, cables, etc.
- Works closely with vendors on hardware support and submission of RMA requests.
- Collaborates with SREs across different time zones to maintain the stability of infrastructure.
- Ownership of asset management, inventory management, and data protection.
- Routing, installation, and appropriate cable management use of copper and fiber.
- Assists with purchasing and shipping assets for data center logistics.
- Multi-tasks, prioritizes, and maintains quick response and turnaround times for tasks provided via a task tracking system.
- Availability to respond to emergency system outages.
- Shared organizational values, exemplified in daily habits.
- 2+ years of hands-on experience working in a professional data center environment or relevant coursework/knowledge from a college university
- Basic understanding of Linux/Unix commands
- General understanding of best data center concepts and practices
- Communicating effectively with cross-functional teams on a global scale
- Familiarity with data center power and cooling concepts
- Ability to work independently with some direct supervision, as part of a globally distributed team
- Accountable, responsible and dependable
- Basic knowledge of network configuration is a plus
- Experience with electrical systems/cabling installation work is a plus
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 lbs/25kg.
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge freely. We host Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive donations from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a remote-first organization with staff members including contractors based in more than 50 countries. Salaries at the Wikimedia Foundation are set in a way that is competitive, equitable, and consistent with our values and culture. The anticipated annual pay range of this position for applicants based within the United States is US$80,894 to US$101,118 with multiple individualized factors, including cost of living in the location, being the determinants of the offered pay. For applicants located outside of the US, the pay range will be adjusted to the country of hire. We neither ask for nor take into consideration the salary history of applicants. The compensation for a successful applicant will be based on their skills, experience and location.
All applicants can reach out to their recruiter to understand more about the specific pay range for their location during the interview process.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or +1 (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks
News from across the Wikimedia movement
Our Commitment to Equity
This is Wikimedia Foundation
Our Tech Stack
Something looks off?