CRM Manager for Email Marketing (Office of Communications)
About Urban Institute:
At the Urban Institute, we believe in the power of evidence to improve lives and strengthen communities. As a nonprofit focusing on social and economic policy, our researchers and policy entrepreneurs open minds, shape decisions, and identify transformative solutions to the most pressing issues of our time.
To open minds, shape decisions, and offer solutions through economic and social policy research.
Collaboration, Equity, Inclusivity, Independence, and Integrity
For more information on the Urban Institute, please visit https://www.urban.org.
Central to Urban’s mission is fostering a truly inclusive community that ensures ongoing relevance to a changing world. The Office of Communications for the Urban Institute seeks a CRM Manager for Email Marketing, reporting to the Director of Email Marketing. The CRM Manager will be responsible for day-to-day management, optimization, and operations of Urban Institute’s email marketing and CRM platforms. A member of the Communications Department, the CRM Manager for Email Marketing serves as the in-house expert on email platform management, plays a key role in shaping and executing email strategies, and collaborates across teams to ensure operations are integrated.
What You’ll Do:
Email Marketing and CRM Platform Management:
- Build and maintain email distribution lists and segments in Salesforce and Salesforce Marketing Cloud.
- Work closely with Email Marketing team, technical staff, consultants, and platform vendors to configure email platform for optimal performance.
Project and Data Management:
- Maintain project and issue queues, and lead projects in conjunction with technical staff for CRM and database functionality.
- Oversee and maintain subscription management systems for multiple email newsletters.
- In conjunction with technical and communications staff, develop and execute data hygiene practices, creating and using automated processes where appropriate.
- Manage data imports and exports, ensuring data integrity for accurate email targeting and segmentation
Automation and Monitoring:
- Lead implementation and maintenance of data-driven automations and triggered send journeys such as subscriber welcome and re-engagement series.
- Manage day-to-day email deliverability monitoring, ensuring list hygiene standards are adhered to by people and systems.
- Generate reports and dashboards to provide insights into email performance and campaign effectiveness.
Training and Documentation:
- Provide training to team members on email marketing and CRM platform usage and best practices.
- Maintain documentation on processes, configurations, and data workflows.
Who You Are:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work or education experience
- Five years of experience with email production, sending, and email platform operations and management in a nonprofit, political or public policy setting with increasing responsibility.
- In-depth knowledge of Salesforce and Salesforce Marketing Cloud or comparable platforms.
- Strong understanding of CRM tools, marketing automation platforms, and email marketing best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to manage ongoing projects across several departments.
- Knowledge of HTML and CSS coding for email; experience creating email templates.
- Experience using querying languages and tools to extract and manipulate data.
- Experience creating reports and dashboards to present and analyze key performance indicators.
- Ability to clearly communicate ideas and status updates to both technical and non-technical staff.
- Able to work independently and as a member of a large team.
- Capable of managing multiple deliverables and completing assigned tasks efficiently.
- Innovative and flexible thinker, comfortable suggesting solutions and willing to take risks.
What You’ll Experience:
No matter your role with Urban, you will contribute to meaningful work that makes a difference for people and communities across the country. And whether you call the Washington, DC area or elsewhere home, you can expect to be part of a welcoming and hybrid workplace. We are committed to cultivating a community and working in a manner defined by collaboration, equity, inclusivity, independence, and integrity.
Urban’s greatest asset is our people.
The target salary range for this position is Min $65,000 – Max $95,000. Salary offered is commensurate with experience and considers internal equity. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Salaries are just one component of Urban Institute’s total compensation package.
Urban is committed to supporting our staff’s physical, emotional, and financial well-being through a robust benefits package for yourself, eligible dependents, and domestic partners. It includes generous paid time off, including nine federal holidays, medical (including prescription), dental and vision insurance, and transit benefits. Urban is unique in that we offer 403(b) retirement plan participation immediately after you’re hired and a generous employer contribution after six months of service and 500 hours, with immediate vesting. You’ll also have access to a health advocate, personal finance coaching, an Employee Assistance Program, and educational assistance for undergraduate and graduate degree programs. This position has the opportunity to be fully remote.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the people assigned. This posting is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and requirements. Urban management reserves the right to amend and change duties, responsibilities, and requirements to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
The Urban Institute is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified candidates will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender or gender identity, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, veteran status, pregnancy or family responsibilities, matriculation, disability, political affiliation, or any other protected status under applicable law. The Urban Institute is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Minorities/Women/Disabilities/Veterans.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you have a physical and/or mental disability and are interested in applying for employment and need special accommodations to use our website to apply for a position, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodation requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
The Urban Institute has formally recognized the Urban Institute Employees’ Union, which is part of the Nonprofit Professional Employees Union (NPEU). Urban management and the Union work together in good faith and are motivated by a shared commitment to this institution. This position is included in the Union-represented collective bargaining unit, and specific employment terms and conditions are subject to collective bargaining negotiations.