Director of Technology
We are looking for a technologist to help lead the Tiny News Collective.
The Tiny News Collective works to make news entrepreneurship accessible and achievable to more people from a much broader range of professional, educational and lived experiences than are currently represented in our media ecosystem. We provide the tools, resources and commonwealth of knowledge to help people build sustainable news organizations that reflect and serve their communities. We support voices historically excluded from media and media ownership.
We look for deeply collaborative people who share our commitment to building a more equitable future for local journalism. We welcome applicants from a broad range of professional and education backgrounds. If you feel like you’d be a good fit but you’re worried that your experience might not be exactly aligned with what we’ve posted in this job description, please consider applying anyway.
The director of technology oversees the entire technology operation at the Tiny News Collective: managing the technology team, setting the roadmap and vision for technology at the collective, maintaining relationships with our third-party vendors, looking for new opportunities to provide critical technology, and ensuring a quality user experience. This is a leadership role within the Tiny News Collective, setting the general direction and ensuring the sustainability of the project.
A core offering of the Tiny News Collective is the Tiny News Platform, which is a complete digital news publishing system, including web publishing, newsletters, membership, ads, analytics, comments and more. The director of technology will be responsible for ensuring the platform continues to grow and serve the needs of the collective's membership. We hope to expand the platform into a SAAS product.
This role combines hands-on programming, high-level technical strategy, and management. The director of technology will have broad leeway to determine how development on the platform occurs, including release strategy, issue management, code review process, QA practices, and growing the technical team.
Position Type: Full-time
Team: The director of technology will work closely with and report to the executive director and manage the technology team.
Application deadline: Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Set the vision and roadmap for the future of the Tiny News Platform.
- Oversee development through sprint planning, prioritizing issues, reviewing code and contributing major features to the platform.
- Manage relationships with third-party technology partners and forge more critical technology partnerships to serve our members.
- Help our engineers realize their full potential through mentorship and frequent check-ins.
- Work closely with the executive director to maintain a healthy workplace culture, grow the technology team and recruit future engineers.
- Report to Tiny News Collective membership on progress with the platform and gather feedback to inform future development.