IT Systems Administrator
Think of Us
Reports to: Vice President, Engineering
Direct Reports: None
Category: Sr. Associate; Full-time, Exempt
The IT systems administrator is responsible for overseeing the maintenance and security of TOU’s computer systems. This person manages servers, network equipment, other related IT infrastructure and coordinates with the VP, Engineering to determine new technologies and enhancements for TOU’s systems. In addition, a strong candidate is one who has experience working in high growth environments.
This role is dynamic in scope, with responsibilities including but not limited to:
Systems Management (40%)
- Software, System and Network Administration:
- Install, configure, and maintain servers, ensuring high availability and efficient functionality
- Install, upgrade, patch, configure and maintain software and services to ensure secure and up-to-date networks and environments
- Identity and access management, creating and managing system permissions and user accounts
- Monitor and optimize server performance and resource usage
- Troubleshoot network connectivity issues and maintain network documentation
- Backup and Disaster Recovery:
- Implement and manage data backup solutions, ensuring data integrity and recovery capabilities
- Develop and test disaster recovery procedures to minimize downtime in case of emergencies
- Documentation and Reporting:
- Develop user guides, knowledge base articles and training materials of system configurations, procedures, and troubleshooting steps
- Generate reports on system performance, security, and incident response
IT Infrastructure Management and Technical Support (40%)
- Design, deploy, and maintain the company's IT infrastructure, including servers, networks, storage, and cloud services/platforms
- Monitor system performance, resource utilization, and make recommendations for optimization and capacity planning
- Ensure high availability, reliability, and scalability of critical systems and services with proper alerting in place
- Inventory/asset management, keeping track of hardware, software, and peripherals used by employees as well as systems to support our services
- Provide technical support to team members, responding to IT-related issues promptly
- Troubleshoot and resolve hardware, software, and network problems and outages to minimize downtime
Security Compliance and Data Protection (20%)
- Implement and maintain security measures to safeguard company data and systems from unauthorized access, breaches, and cyber threats
- Perform regular security audits, tests, monitoring and vulnerability assessments, addressing any identified issues promptly
- Implement and enforce change management processes for auditing and compliance
- Work in collaboration with the technical team to develop, implement and enforce IT security policies, standards, and best practices
- ANALYTICAL: Draws conclusions from data in a logical, systematic way and breaks down complex data into elemental components for better understanding
- DETAIL-ORIENTED: Shows rigorous and meticulous attention to detail and applies careful attention to every part of a task.
- PROBLEM SOLVER: Effectively identifies and solves challenging problems. Discovers underlying causes of problems and takes on demanding tasks to solve them.
- ADAPTABLE: Adjusts easily to new or changing circumstances. Demonstrates flexibility in rapidly changing situations.
- INITIATIVE: Anticipates future needs and takes action. Develops new ideas and persuades others.
Two year’s minimum of job-specific experience including:
- Experience managing systems in 1+ cloud platform infrastructure (e.g. Azure, AWS, Google Cloud; Certification a plus);
- Proficiency in Windows and Linux based Operating Systems including network administration;
- Proven ability to troubleshoot and identify the root cause of issues;
- Ability to write technical documentation in a clear and concise manner;
- Advanced knowledge of computer security best practices and policies including demonstrated experience securing server-based software;
- Solid understanding of security best practices encompassing multiple platforms (Linux, Windows, Mac, Azure, AWS, etc);
- Experience in installation, configuration, evaluation, management and maintenance of all operational components, including open source and commercial applications and monitoring tools employed in a Unix environment;
- Hands on experience in upgrade procedures and patch management for multiple Unix/Linux operating systems and application software running on these environments; and
- Experience working in an ITSM tool/platform for ticket, change and asset management such as Zendesk, Jira Service Management, ServiceNow, etc.
Preferred additional experience:
- Experience creating documentation and articles in a knowledge base/documentation platform (ServiceNow, Confluence, etc);
- Proficient and knowledgeable in cyber and network security and how to prevent & respond to attacks; and
- Previous experience developing and implementing security policies.
Physical Demands and Working Environment
The bullet points below are representative of the physical demands and working environment that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made for individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
- Standard / Remote office setting; proximity to office equipment that includes electronic devices
- May need to be at a workstation for 50% of the time; will need to use equipment that includes electronic devices
- Perceive and interact with text, media, and people;
- Communicate and accurately exchange information with text, media, and people
We are seeking candidates for a position that may require irregular hours as part of the job's responsibilities. Our organization values work-life balance and strives to accommodate the diverse needs of our employees. While the standard work schedule may not always apply, we are committed to fostering a flexible and supportive work environment.
The nature of this role may involve occasional evening or weekend work, with the understanding that time off or schedule adjustments can be made to ensure overall work-life harmony. We believe that maintaining a healthy balance between professional and personal commitments is essential for our team's well-being and productivity.
- We provide generous health, dental, & vision coverage for you and dependents as well as a 401k plan for your pre-tax retirement contributions
- We're a remote team with schedule flexibility
- We have a flexible vacation policy
- We hold monthly organization-wide learning sessions to deepen our understanding of the Lived Experience of foster youth and also on topics outside of foster care to build culture of curiosity and growth
- We provide the opportunity for you to interact with leading voices in government, foundations, the nonprofit world, and entertainment working to reform foster care
This role is a full-time remote position with domestic travel. This role has a salary range of $84,000 - 90,000. We are looking to fill this position immediately - applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Apply for this position