The Ocean Cleanup
MISSION TO METRICS
The mission of The Ocean Cleanup is to develop advanced technologies to rid the world’s oceans of plastic. Our Finance team supports this effort by providing cash planning, solid controls, smooth administrative processes, reliable reporting to funders, tax compliance, and financial transparency for planning and decision support. We need control but no red tape.
“With all the exciting things happening here, the Finance team needs to keep an eye out on the financial impact of all these projects that are both ongoing and just about to kick off. We pride ourselves as a fast and responsive team that supports the wider organization by tackling any surprises. It’s sometimes challenging but always enjoyable, as our dedication to a mission we believe in keeps us going.” - Joy Gao, Finance Director
We are seeking a bright, high-potential senior financial accountant with the “full suite” of financial and accounting expertise. The right candidate will support the Finance Director with a strong accounting background and focus on providing analysis and advice on complex financial issues while also developing and implementing financial policies, procedures, and systems for an organization preparing for scale-up.
Your responsibilities include:
- Undertaking analysis and providing timely, expert financial information and advice on financial issues, such as through reviewing donation agreements and operational contracts
- Prepare position papers, briefing notes, reports, accounting policies, and procedures on financial accounting topics such as consolidation, treatment of research and development assets, etc
- Coordinate the timely submission of financial and tax reports, including subsidies, while ensuring compliance with financial standards and communicating with external advisors
- Prepare and review statutory annual financial statements, including the supporting work papers for the consolidated group and individual entities to meet audit requirements
- Facilitate the monthly and annual close processes, ensuring accruals and period-end journals have been processed correctly and on time
- Review general ledger balance sheet reconciliations, including bank reconciliation
- Manage fixed asset register and develop processes to improve fixed asset management
- Coordinate and implement projects to improve the Finance processes, policies, and systems
- Structuring accounting work processes: clean, nimble, effective, and professional
- Supporting the Finance Director and CFO in ad-hoc tasks
- Proven academic excellence; (executive) master’s degree with a financial focus (RA / RC / CA / CPA / CIMA or equivalent)
- 3-5 years of finance experience with IFRS, Dutch GAAP, and US GAAP in a fast-moving, goal-driven organization
- Proficient in English
- Fast and effective user of Microsoft Office (Excel is a must!), accounting software, and CRM software
- Basic PowerBi knowledge is an advantage
- Affinity with engineering, offshore, and/or the Ocean is key
- You have strong written and verbal communication – able to give meaning to the numbers
- You go into detail where needed but can easily go back to the overall perspective
- You have shown excellent academic performance at some stage of your education and/or training
- You are confident with problem-solving on the fly, but pragmatic with your solutions
- You are flexible, proactive, and willing to jump in to help where needed
- You thrive in a high-paced, international environment
- You have an intrinsic motivation to work on our ambitious and meaningful mission
Please note: because we are a non-profit, our salaries reflect that of an organization fully reliant on donations rather than that of a commercial entity. Conducting a pre-employment check is part of our recruitment process.
Curious to hear how it is to work in the finance team of The Ocean Cleanup? Listen to Joy Gao, Finance Director, sharing some experiences in our podcast.
- Starting from:
- Work permit needed:
- European Union
A valid European Union work permit is highly preferred for this position. However, feel free to send an open application so we can contact you if an opportunity arises in your country.