Senior Data Engineer
Stellar Development Foundation
Interested in measuring blockchain’s impact on the real world? The Stellar Development Foundation (SDF) is looking for a talented, experienced, and hands-on Data Engineer to join our team. In this role your primary focus will be all things data. You’ll be designing, building, and implementing data pipelines in our publicly available analytics dataset, Hubble.
As a member of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to work on a wide variety of projects that measure and assess the Stellar Network’s real world impact on the global financial system. This includes monitoring and understanding Soroban (smart contracts) adoption, tracking liquidity and transaction volume, and identifying anomalous activity. Our aim is to make data more accessible, actionable, and easier to use by building custom data products and visualizations for the broader Stellar ecosystem.
In this role, you will:
- Design, build, orchestrate, and maintain data pipelines that give us a unique perspective into the liquidity, adoption, and usage of the Stellar network.
- Conduct ad hoc data analysis to clean, transform, and distill key insights about the Stellar Network.
- Create engaging data visualizations and dashboards to help stakeholders easily understand and act upon recommendations.
- Improve observability and maintainability of our data marts, including usage, quality, and freshness.
- Translate business priorities into measurable insights that aid in data-driven decision-making.
- Improve data accessibility by encouraging self-service adoption of Dashboards, KPIs, and SQL Interfaces.
- 5+ years of professional data engineering, ML, or analytics experience
- Modern data warehousing fundamentals with experience in an ETL framework like dbt, Fivetran, Databricks, or Talend
- Deep expertise in SQL, especially working with raw, large datasets
- Proficiency with scripting languages such as Python or R
- Familiarity with software engineering best practices
- Experience scheduling and orchestrating pipelines and managing complex data dependencies
- A passion for exploring complex datasets and learning business domains
- Data Governance best practices: data cataloging, quality control, and usability
- Experience building compelling data visualizations with dashboard tools
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to explain complex data insights to non-technical stakeholders
- Enthusiasm about working on a small, growing team with the freedom to innovate and set direction
Bonus Points if:
- You have cloud development experience, with a preference towards the GCP data stack
- You have a strong curiosity in blockchain technologies and cryptocurrencies, and understand the fundamentals of these systems
We offer competitive pay with a base salary range for this position of $165,000 - $215,000 depending on job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and location. In addition, we offer lumen-denominated grants along with the following perks and benefits:
- Competitive health, dental & vision coverage
- Flexible time off + 15 company holidays including a company-wide holiday break
- Paid parental leave
- Life & ADD
- Short & Long term disability
- FSA & Dependent Care Accounts
- 401K (4% match)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Monthly gym allowance
- Daily lunch and snacks in-office
- L&D budget of $1,500/year
- Company retreats