Senior Back-end Cloud Engineer - Remote
Simprints is a nonprofit tech company with a mission to radically increase transparency and effectiveness in global development. We build ethical, inclusive digital ID powered by biometrics to verify that health, aid, and services truly reach people. Simprints partners with organizations like Gavi to boost immunization rates in developing countries, Ministries of Health like Ghana on pandemic response, and NGOs like BRAC to deliver maternal healthcare. Studies have shown Simprints increases impact through real-time, precision data, for example increasing maternal health visits by 38% in Bangladesh or accurate HIV tracing by 62% in Malawi. Today we’ve worked in over 17 countries helping deliver health, aid, and finance to >2.5M people. Our goal is to transform the way the world fights poverty, ensuring that every vaccine, every dollar, and every public good reaches the people who need them most.
About the Role
We are looking for a cloud-native back-end engineer to join our growing tech team, working on either our core Simprints ID platform or specific projects. You will also be able to contribute to our journey as we begin to open-source our products to help drive market adoption of biometrics. In addition, you will be responsible for designing, developing, and maintaining Simprints applications and their integrations, both with our internal back-end services and external data collection applications.
You will work on an agile, collaborative team with a commitment to clean code and robust design, along with a strong culture of continuous learning and improvement. You will help the project management team assess feature feasibility and create a plan of action. If building technology for global health sounds exciting, we want to meet you!
This is a remote job; we are currently only able to take forward applicants based in the UK, France, Ghana, Ethiopia, Poland, Bulgaria or Romania. We are unable to provide visa sponsorship for this role.
UK Grade 6: £55,000 - £70,000 with a cost-of-living adjustment for non-UK residents
At Simprints, we want everyone to feel ownership of the tasks they are working on, starting from your first day. Within the first month, we’ll help you set your environment up, and you will be contributing improvements to our products in no time. By your third month, you will be comfortable building new functionality and will have a good understanding of how our products are used. In six months, you will lead with a high degree of autonomy the design and development for our roadmap and projects.
- Design technical solutions to help Simprints scale to support projects all over the world
- Team with other Cloud engineers to write robust code that is easy to test and maintain, and runs reliably in challenging settings
- Build APIs that expose our data and events for other areas of Simprints to derive insights and measure the impact of our projects
- Work on cross-functional projects by collaborating with mobile engineers, data analysts and external stakeholders
- Mentor junior engineers by guiding them through code reviews and making design decisions
- Ensure that the products we build are both performant and secure
- Create specification documents that outline designed solutions and a plan of action to achieve them
- Suggest and implement improvements in the way we build our products
- A passionate problem solver who can help us find a way to achieve our mission
- Deep understanding of GCP with at least 5 years of experience building, integrating, testing, and supporting cloud hosted applications
- A bit of an SQL/BigQuery wizard to assist with navigating large datasets to troubleshoot and monitor application performance
- Well versed in the best practices of secure application development
- Solid understanding of the full software development lifecycle including application architecture design
- Experience working within a team with a focus on code quality, where testing, code reviews, and continuous integration are the norm
- Working knowledge of Go (our code base is written in it)
- Experience with “serverless” GCP services such as Cloud Run, Firestore, Cloud Pub/Sub and BigQuery
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code, and especially Terraform
7 Reasons to join Simprints
Life is short. We believe work should be awesome, meaningful, and fun. At Simprints, we’re taking on global development’s biggest challenges, powered by an amazing culture and incredible people. Work with us, and you will grow faster, learn more, and take on great responsibilities with the potential to make lasting change.
- Genuine Impact. Work directly with our partners and users to deliver technology that has the potential to impact millions of lives.
- Incredible, diverse team. Ask any “Simployee” what their favorite thing about working at Simprints is, and the answer is likely to be “the people.” Our work is at the intersection of technology and global development, and we’ve managed to build an amazing team drawn from all over the world. But don’t take our word for it—we’re an externally recognized Great Place to Work and 2022 Best Workplace for Women
- Career Advancement. Join the team of a forward-thinking social enterprise that is making waves with some of the biggest names in our sector. Simprints Alumni have gone on to work for Google, USAID, Gavi the vaccine alliance, Save the Children, and other top players.
- Flexible hours. More efficient late at night? Better before the sun rises? Need to squeeze in a doctor’s visit Thursday morning? That’s fine by us. We are looking for people who get the job done, not for people who clock-in and clock-out. Outside of core hours (10am to 3pm UK) it's up to you to decide when the job gets done.
- Professional development and well-being. We promote continual learning with self-directed learning objectives, external mentors, and regular one-on-one feedback. We also put our money where our mouth is with a dedicated ‘Learning ’ budget, and access to global experts through the GLG network.
- Unlimited paid time off. We set high standards and goals, but give people the freedom to choose when and how to recharge. Join a team that trusts you with the job.
- 4 day work-week. We are currently on a 6 month pilot where we are trialling a 4 day work-week. Nobody is expected to work Friday's, so you'll get to enjoy a long weekend, every weekend. So far, the data has indicated this is a positive change, so we expect to make this a permanent fixture at the end of the pilot.
Simprints is an equal-opportunity employer. We pride ourselves in our firm commitment to improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in our workplace. We aim to attract, hire, grow, and retain the most qualified candidates regardless of race, gender, ability, religion, nationality, age, sexuality, and other differences. We encourage interested and suitable candidates who are part of underrepresented groups to apply for this position.
We are recruiting on a rolling basis for this role. With that in mind, we advise candidates to apply as soon as possible as we will be reviewing applicants on a first come, first served basis. This vacancy will be closed once a suitable candidate is identified.
Something looks off?