Chief Financial Officer
Note: This is a volunteer position based in San Francisco. DO NOT apply if you currently live outside the Bay Area.
ShelterTech is a tech non-profit founded in 2016 that is focused on leveraging technology to help address homelessness and bridge the digital divide. Through a grant provided by the San Francisco Mayor's Office of Housing and Community Develop (MOHCD), our volunteer led team has built and launched SF Service Guide, a powerful online directory platform built specifically for those experiencing homelessness or housing insecurity. SF Service Guide seeks to provide easy navigation and up-to-date information to over 500 resources delivering over 1,700 services in San Francisco.
ShelterTech believes that everyone has the right to connectivity.
Consistent internet access is necessary to help individuals find housing, employment, or medical services, as well as to stay connected to family and friends. To help with this, ShelterTech also has its ShelterConnect program, where we have partnered with the City of San Francisco and corporate IT sponsors to provide installations of free WiFi in 25 shelters and SROs serving over 2,200 residents every day, with additional projects in the pipeline.
Reporting to ShelterTech’s Executive Director, ShelterTech’s CFO is
responsible for the organization’s financial operations and plays a role in the organization’s overall leadership.
Manage the organization’s financial operations, including:
- Ensuring ShelterTech’s financial sustainability, e.g. by making sure the organization is cash flow positive
- Managing day-to-day financial operations, including verifying / approving expenses (including payroll processing)
- Designing and owning the organization’s accounting and accounting processes
- Submitting monthly invoices to the City of San Francisco based on expenses incurred by the organization (as part of ShelterTech’s grant agreement with the City)
- Preparing and analyzing the organizations’ financial statements (P&L, balance sheet) and making recommendations in terms of financial strategy
- Driving ShelterTech’s financial planning, including budgeting
- Preparing and presenting quarterly / bi-annual / annual financial overviews (which can include P&L and balance sheet) to the Board of Directors and/or entire ShelterTech team
- Overseeing the preparation of the organization’s tax reports (and audits / reviews) working with external accounting firms
- Supporting fundraising efforts
- Provide periodic presentations to the board.
- Work with the leadership team in designing and implementing the organization’s overall strategy - including from a financial perspective
- Experience preparing and analyzing financial statements
- Experience with HR fundamentals (payroll, benefits, taxes, time tracking, etc.) is desirable.
- Understanding of non-profits’ financial (and ideally legal) obligations
- Experience with Quickbooks online accounting software
- Ability to attend the majority of weekly team meetings on Wednesdays 6:30-7:30 PM in San Francisco, ideally in person and alternatively by dialing in
- Estimated workload per week: 5 hours on average (can vary) and ability to respond to messages/requests quickly