Operations Consultant (Part-Time, Remote)
Posted on Tuesday, February 6, 2024
Schoolhouse.world is a non-profit startup founded by Sal Khan with the mission of connecting the world through learning. Our peer tutoring platform empowers learners everywhere with free online tutoring over Zoom. We currently have tens of thousands of users from 150+ countries, with plans to grow this platform to millions. We've also partnered with over 10 state departments of education and 15 universities to expand access to free tutoring.
We are an eleven-person remote team—small but mighty—and are looking for people who thrive in a fast-paced environment.
About the Role
We are looking for a part-time operations consultant to join us in our audacious mission by executing on critical operational tasks while also building improved systems that can effectively scale. These tasks will support both the full-time team and the volunteer community, and run the gamut from user support to volunteer & community management to safety operations.
This is a hands-on role. An example day: you start with 45 minutes of daily tasks (reviewing user video applications that have come in, reviewing escalated safety issues, supporting high school volunteers in responding to user support chats on the website), you write up a weekly digest announcement to the community (which includes conducting a short interview with a volunteer over Slack), you meet with volunteer team leads over Zoom and help them debug any roadblocks their team has been facing, and you then spend the remainder of your time digging into a bottleneck in Schoolhouse operations that have been slowing down the tutoring certification system and proposing an improved system (which involves brief meetings with other product team members, brainstorming solutions, writing up tickets with suggested product changes, building Coda docs and Typeforms to improve the processes, and writing FAQ articles to communicate the changes to users).
• You’re a generalist and also entrepreneurial. You’re willing to learn whatever it takes to accomplish your goals. You’re also good at context switching.
• You have a strong bias towards action and are exceptional at executing on operational tasks, no matter how small or large. You’re not afraid to work on repetitive tasks if it furthers the mission. You enjoy getting things done.
• You have an interest in problem solving; you approach problems like a puzzle and communicate the solution with enthusiasm and clarity.
• You can thrive in a fast-paced startup environment: embracing ambiguity and uncertainty, balancing rapid experimentation with scalable solutions, and adapting to roles that continually evolve.
• You are a skilled communicator and have exceptional written communication; an ability to convey empathy for a person via written word.
• (Nice to have) You have experience working with teenagers.
• (Nice to have) You already have operations, customer-facing experience, and/or community/management experience.
• While there will be flexibility in hours, you will need to have at least some availability during U.S. work hours and also occasionally meet with volunteers during 4-8pm ET
• 1 to 10+ years of work experience
• You’re impact oriented. It’s what drives you.
• Fully remote
• An opportunity to work with and learn from a very talented team
• A rewarding and important role in a small, mission-oriented startup leading a movement in peer tutoring.
We’re building an inclusive and equitable platform for learners across the world, and it’s important our core team reflects these principles too. We strongly encourage people from underrepresented groups apply.