Program Manager (Remote)
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2024
Schoolhouse.world is a non-profit startup founded by Sal Khan with the mission of connecting the world through learning. Our peer tutoring platform empowers learners everywhere with free online tutoring over Zoom. We currently have tens of thousands of users from 150+ countries, with plans to grow this platform to millions. We've also partnered with over 10 state departments of education and 15 universities to expand access to free tutoring.
We are an eleven-person remote team—small but mighty—and are looking for people who thrive in a fast-paced environment.
About the Role
We are looking for a program manager to expand our structured programs into additional subjects and own the design and scaling of these new offerings.
Note: this is not a traditional program manager role. In addition to program management, this role requires a highly strategic mindset to unlock program success and a strong product sense to recommend solutions on the platform. Given the focus on building programs that support students in their college readiness journey for American universities, candidates will need to be based in the US.
In addition to being a platform, Schoolhouse has seen considerable success through its structured programs in which tutoring follows a consistent format and a standardized curriculum, such as our 4-week long SAT Bootcamps which have supported over 35K students to date. Rather than stopping at just SAT Bootcamps, we plan to build out other structured programs in subjects like math, AP testing, and college applications to support students throughout their college readiness journey.
Like everything at Schoolhouse, these programs are ambitious. They rely on close relationships with key stakeholders as well as effective curriculum to close student learning gaps. They require streamlined operations and scalable systems that layer on top of the product platform and existing volunteer processes. Such program work will interact with just about every part of the organization including product, session quality, and community.
• Own the design and execution of new Schoolhouse programs
• Run daily program management, interfacing directly with external stakeholders
• Design and iterate on Schoolhouse’s program curriculum and training, with the potential for AI augmentation
• Conduct data analysis to inform future decisions and experiments
• Collaborate closely with other parts of the platform and team
• Report to our Programs Lead, helping set success metrics for programs and then owning them
• Propose new programs altogether
• You like designing innovative new programs as well as executing on them.
• You’re a generalist and also entrepreneurial. You’re willing to experiment and learn whatever it takes to accomplish your goals.
• You can thrive in a fast-paced startup environment: embracing ambiguity and uncertainty, balancing rapid experimentation with scalable solutions, and adapting to roles that may evolve every 6 months.
• You are passionate about education — both the teaching of our learners and the growth of our tutors.
Skills & Experience
• You have experience leading program management.
• You have experience scaling an operation while maintaining quality and user satisfaction.
• You ideally have experience working with schools, school districts, and students.
• You are extremely organized and excel at turning unstructured work into structured action plans.
• You are comfortable leveraging data and scoping product solutions.
• You are a skilled communicator and storyteller.
• 2 to 10+ years of work experience.
• Based in the United States.
• You’re impact oriented. It’s what drives you.
• Fully remote
• Competitive salary with benefits
• tl;dr: Foundational role in a mission-oriented startup leading a movement in peer tutoring
We’re building an inclusive and equitable platform for learners across the world, and it’s important our core team reflects these principles too. We strongly encourage people from underrepresented groups apply!
Role doesn’t look exactly right to you but feel you could still contribute? Apply anyways and tell us how you’d help grow Schoolhouse’s impact.