Software Engineer Intern (Summer 2024)
Posted on Saturday, November 4, 2023
Schoolhouse.world is a non-profit startup founded by Sal Khan with the mission of connecting the world through learning. Our peer tutoring platform empowers learners everywhere with free online tutoring over Zoom. We currently have thousands of users from 150+ countries, with plans to grow this platform to millions.
We are a ten-person remote team—small but mighty—and are looking for people who thrive in a fast-paced environment.
Schoolhouse is looking for software engineering interns who are passionate about making education and tutoring more accessible. As a an intern, you will be a key member of our engineering team and work in a fast-paced environment across the stack, learning new technologies and owning projects end-to-end to shape the future of education! We’re currently looking for interns to work with us full-time during the summer of 2024.
Past intern projects have included:
- Allowing multiple tutors to co-host sessions
- Letting tutors create and assign custom quizzes for their learners
- Supporting mentioning/tagging other users in posts
- Creating functionality for teachers to track the activity of a group of learners
You’ll be a great fit if you:
- Care about making education more accessible and equitable
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment where you may need to wear many hats and collaborate across product, eng, design, and community
- Care about end users and why you’re building, as much as how you’re building
- Are based in a US timezone
- Have completed at least one internship in software engineering (we do have a preference for current juniors or older)
- Bonus points if you have experience with any parts of our stack: Typescript, Node, Next.js, React, PostgreSQL, and AWS
What we offer:
- A rewarding and important role in a small, mission-oriented startup leading a movement in peer tutoring!
- A competitive salary
- An opportunity to work with and learn from a very talented team
We’re building an inclusive and equitable platform for students across the world, and it’s important our core team reflects these principles too. We strongly encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply!
*Please note that as a rapidly changing startup, we cannot foresee hiring needs and thus cannot guarantee an opportunity to convert to full-time post-internship.