Product Designer (Remote)
Posted on Tuesday, May 2, 2023
Schoolhouse.world is a non-profit startup founded by Sal Khan with the mission of connecting the world through learning. We’re building a free online tutoring platform that empowers students across the world to get help, help other students, and gain leadership skills through volunteer peer tutoring over Zoom. We currently have thousands of users from 150+ countries, with plans to grow this platform to millions!
About this Role
We’re looking for a Product Designer to lead design in our (small but mighty) eight-person team of lifelong learners with a passion for education. We’re currently undergoing a major platform redesign, and as our only designer, you’ll work closely with our Product Lead to set the vision for new features that support learner experience and motivate our student community to give back by helping others. This role is a good fit for you if you thrive in a dynamic startup environment, enjoy the challenge of designing around human systems, and are excited to work on a mission-oriented product to empower students across the world.
- Lead scoping and end-to-end design of new features to support learners and tutors in our platform, balancing craft, speed, and impact on our users.
- Work closely with our Product Lead and our growing team of engineers to ship features from concept, to wireframes, to production.
- Interface with our community of high-school aged learners, tutors, and volunteers in user interviews (we’re well connected with our users, and center them in our decisions).
- Own visual and graphic design for our brand identity, product marketing, and other external-facing communications.
- Maintain and build onto our growing design system, with the goal of creating scalable, reusable systems as our team grows.
- You’re a design generalist with an eye for visual design, a strong product-thinking mindset, and fluency shipping experiences from ideas to high-fidelity mockups (we use Figma).
- You communicate clearly–whether you’re collaborating with teammates or crafting intuitive experiences for our high-school aged community.
- You have at least 2 years of experience in Product Design roles. We’re particularly excited to hear from you if you have experience in edtech or social impact spaces, designing in small teams like an early-stage startup, and/or have experience teaching or tutoring yourself.
- Nice to have: You’re familiar with frontend web technologies like HTML/CSS–enough to communicate with our engineering team during design hand-off.
- Note: While we're excited to work with people from across the world, we conduct all of our meetings during US timezones.
What We Offer
- A rewarding and important role in a small, mission-oriented startup leading a movement in peer tutoring!
- A competitive salary with benefits (medical & dental covered 90% by Schoolhouse).
- Additional stipends to support you and the team’s growth—weekly team lunch stipend, professional development stipend, and remote work stipend.
- This role is completely remote, but you’ll have the opportunity to join semi-annual company retreats.
We’re building an inclusive and equitable platform for students across the world, and it’s important our core team reflects these principles too. We strongly encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply!