Chief Operating Officer
Location: Remote, New York City, or San Francisco Bay Area
Role Type: Full-time
Compensation: $180,000 - $210,000
Visa sponsorship: Not available
Hires remotely in: United States
Preferred timezones: Eastern, Central, Mountain or Pacific Timezones
Remote work policy: Onsite or remote
Experience: 8+ years
Skills: People Ops, Finance, Recruiting, Legal
The Chief Operating Officer is responsible for building and scaling Recidiviz’s internal processes governing finance, legal, and people operations. This role will be responsible for the systems and policies that ensure our staff can do the best work of their lives throughout their time at Recidiviz, with special attention to equity, retention, and compliance.
This is a full-time position, available in-office (NYC, SF) or remotely. The role will report directly to the Chief Executive Officer.
The ideal candidate would have held a similar role in a for- or non-profit organization of 200+ staff. They would have experience building new processes to support a growing team, and managing core organizational processes including finance, compensation, benefits, payroll, employee policy and governance, onboarding and offboarding processes, and multi-year strategic planning. They would enjoy decomposing complex problems into smaller, more manageable components, and can balance urgency and empathy while responding to staff needs. Critically, they would be comfortable balancing the need to ensure Recidiviz is compliant with applicable law and the need to ensure staff are heard and have the resources and support they need in their careers.
This role will necessarily involve both strategy and implementation—so the ideal candidate would be a strong written and verbal communicator, a capable manager, and an experienced team player who can lead with insight and empathy.
This role will oversee people operations policies and processes, team culture support and development, hiring support, annual headcount planning and budgeting, and managing our pro-bono legal firms. The role will evolve over time, as the team and its needs continue to grow.
- You are a passionate leader with 4+ years of relevant experience leading people operations, talent, finance, or legal work, with experience managing others
- You have experience implementing an organizational vision, developing long-term strategic organizational plans, operating with empathy and collaboration across projects, and leading change with results in mind
- You have strong analytical and quantitative skills and a track record for planning, doing, and auditing work
- You have strong verbal and written communications skills, including the ability to write policy, create clear presentations, and facilitate meetings as needed. You have experience presenting to internal and external stakeholders, including boards of directors
- You are proactive and highly organized, with the ability to work under tight deadlines while maintaining attention to detail
- You are a capable operator who has had experience scaling internal operations, preferably in a growing tech company
- You have varied knowledge and experience in any of employment law, compensation and benefits, organizational development, finance, people operations, and employee relations
- You have a demonstrated ability to manage through ambiguity and competing priorities
- You have and can operate as a counselor, coach, and strategic advisor on all operations matters and consider their impact on the organization's strategic and cultural goals
- Your outlook is culture-focused, with a strong people orientation
The Recidiviz mission is to build healthier, safer communities by improving outcomes for justice-involved individuals.
Since February 2019, we’ve built an incredible team of software engineers, designers, product managers and criminal justice domain experts. Our team is partnered with 11 states, representing nearly 30% of the nation’s incarcerated population. We help partners navigate towards building smaller, more equitable justice systems. For more about us, check out:
- Our Website
- Fast Company | Why this Google product manager left to work on criminal justice reform
- Time | 2021 The Next 100 Most Influential People
- Stanford | Strength in Numbers: Alumnae using data for social change
- Freethink | The Missing Data in Criminal Justice Reform (video, article)
- TEN7 | Meeting the Moment: Using Data to Reimagine Criminal Justice (podcast)
The Operations Team
Although Recidiviz is a non-profit working in criminal justice, most of our team culture comes from the private sector tech ecosystem. Our Operations team currently includes three members, focused on finance and people operations.
Operations has previously been led by one of our cofounders, who will be stepping back to focus on their other teams as the organization continues to grow (but will remain available to support you in this role over the coming months).
Lasting change is always built on a diverse and equitable foundation. Recidiviz is an equal opportunity workplace, committed to equal employment regardless of race, color, sexual orientation, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status. We consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal history, in accordance with legal requirements and limitations. If you have a special need that requires accommodation, please let us know in your application.
Something looks off?