Are you passionate about working with youth in play-based and recreational environments? Do you want to make a real difference in the lives of young individuals? If you answered yes to these questions, then Playworks has an exciting opportunity for you. We are actively seeking a dynamic Program Coordinator. (Also known as Playworks Coach!)
Playworks is the national leader in play-based learning. We believe in creating a safe and inclusive recess environment where all students can feel included, be active, and develop valuable social and emotional skills. When kids thrive at recess, they thrive in the classroom and in life. Join our team and help us transform recess into a fun, engaging experience for elementary school students.
What we offer:
- Full-time position, 40 hours per week, for the 2023-2024 school year, at $21-$23 per hour.
- Room for career growth within our organization.
- Comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, 401(k) with match, disability, life insurance, and employee-funded pre-tax health and childcare spending accounts.
- Paid vacation for all school breaks during the school year (5+ weeks), as well as paid sick days.
- Professional development and networking opportunities to enhance your skills and advance your career.
As a Playworks Coach, you will be responsible for implementing the following components of our program:
- Recess: Create a fun and inclusive recess for all students by organizing and leading various games and activities. Be a role model and actively participate in the games to ensure every child has a positive experience.
- Class Game Time: Teach students different games they can play during recess, promoting physical activity, cooperation, and fair play. Help students build confidence and develop skills that they can apply during playtime.
- Junior Coach Leadership Program: Lead a youth leadership program for 4th and 5th graders, training them to become coaches like you. Guide and mentor the Junior Coaches as they assist in managing games during recess. Through this program, students gain valuable skills in conflict resolution, leadership, and more.
- Sports Clubs: Coach a non-competitive sports team of 4th and 5th graders, providing an inclusive and positive team experience. Most students are beginners, so your focus will be on fostering enjoyment, skill development, and teamwork.
Additional responsibilities include maintaining communication with Playworks staff, school staff, teachers, and families; organizing and managing paperwork; and attending regular training sessions provided by Playworks.
- We provide comprehensive training, so no prior experience is necessary. Our dedicated support staff will assist you throughout the year.
- Candidates must pass a National Sex Offender Public Registry, State criminal check, and FBI background check.
- Successful completion of a TB test and CPR/First Aid certification upon hire.
- Reliable transportation to reach your assigned school is required.
- A willingness to actively participate in games and set a positive example for the children.
We believe in the power of diversity and actively encourage applications from individuals of all
backgrounds, including people of color, indigenous people, gender non-binary individuals, and those with historically marginalized identities. Our organization is built on core values of inclusion, respect, healthy community, and healthy play, which are integrated into everything we do.
Research has shown that individuals, especially women and people of color, may not apply for a position unless they meet every qualification listed in the job description. At Playworks, we prioritize finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may come from a less traditional background. We welcome and encourage you to apply and tell us about yourself.