Site Coordinator Michigan
ABOUT THE POSITION, in the role of Site Coordinator, you provide on-site consultation by teaming up with schools and youth partners to provide consultation and professional development that foster social thinking and increase physical activity through play based learning. You will work directly with a designated school’s administration, teachers, and recess teams to provide expertise on Playworks best practices and as well as model and teach the strategies, games, and systems to develop and sustain a positive classroom and recess culture. In partnership with the school, Site Coordinators create opportunities where students and school staff are active, learn leadership skills and conflict resolution tools, and practice respectful and inclusive behavior.
Program Implementation Duties
- Plan and implement a consultative play-based program at four or less public elementary schools being a consistent on-site presence at partner schools, often outside engaged in play.
- Coordination with administration, educators and recess teams for scheduling programmatic delivery in person. Including the collecting and maintaining of paperwork, organizing and keeping current on daily, weekly, monthly schedules, meeting agendas, notes and data.
- Maintain communication between Playworks staff, school staff, teachers, and volunteers.
- Plan, develop and implement, Playworks lesson plans for program components and recess staff trainings.
- Deliver onsite coaching, consultation, and modeling to School Personnel regarding implementation of the following components.
- Recess - With School Personnel create and coach recess staff to develop a safe and inclusive recess experience. Have a significant presence at recess in person by organizing and playing games with students as well as role modeling positive behavior.
- Student leadership program – with School Personnel organize an after-school in person “Junior Coach” student leadership program by facilitating training as well as coaching staff to supervise and manage Junior Coaches roles in the classroom and recess.
- Instructional games with classes - coordinate and lead class game time classes in person with elementary grade levels students and their teacher in skills building, cooperative games, and activities to increase awareness of rules, boundaries, skills utilized and social & cultural expectations at recess.
- Model Playworks core values, program implementation, group management, and rapport building strategies for School Personnel.
- Provide school personnel with feedback regarding program implementation and co-create school’s action plans to achieve safe & healthy play.
- Lead monthly meetings with school personnel to discuss best practices for program implementation and program quality goals.
- Provide Playworks Program Manager with observation notes and program strategy for program quality consultation priorities for the school.
- Facilitate training(s) with the Program Manager for school staff.
School Partnership Duties:
- Consistently represent Playworks’ brand in a professional manner.
- Design program schedule with input and support from school administration and Program Manager.
- Communicate with school administration regarding program implementation logistics and management support needs.
- Facilitate school’s transition to other Playworks training, programs, and products in preparation for future school years.
- Showcase Playworks services in additional prospective schools to assist with an existing school recruitment strategy for growing TeamUp services within the region.
- Shadow tenured Playworks team members in order to develop skills, collaborate and learn from different approaches and different school environments
- Support partner school and district wide events and/or trainings to support overall Playworks partnership.
- Provide timely professional communication with both external and internal partners and adhere to timely reporting and task deadlines to support program partners and org-wide needs.
- Effectively utilize tools to collect and maintain paperwork including but not limited to; organizing daily, weekly, and monthly schedules, timesheets, mileage reports, implementation emails, Playworks school newsletters, junior coach documentation including attendance.
- Support school recruitment administration that may include, school contact research, analyzing outreach data, attending local conferences and resource fairs.
- Provide Playworks Program Manager with weekly observational updates on program quality and partner in consultation priorities to schools.
Regional Support Duties:
- Support in delivering corporate engagements to adults such as School Beautification, Play Days, Corporate Recess in person or virtually.
- Support regional team and national program department with delivery of programmatic learning, pre-service training, management resources and contribute to the development and continued quality improvement of Playworks curriculum.
- Actively participate in and support regional, hub and org-wide learning environments such as pre-service, working groups, etc as a Playworks Arizona team member.
- Participate in annual external fundraising projects and events i.e. Corporate Kickball and annual events.
- As a Playworks ambassador, participate in annual donor and community fundraising and brand awareness events to further brand awareness of Playworks.
If you're a good fit for this position, you already know most of what this job entails. However, to be sure we're providing a complete picture, here are some details:
- Success in this position will require you to have a growth mindset, be highly organized, great at multitasking, with a strong attention to detail and ability to efficiently and effectively manage time, multiple priorities, and diverse relationships.
- A successful candidate will approach the job with an openness and willingness to to learn and be coached in Playworks best practices to successfully implement programming.
- The strongest candidate will have proven experience and success in managing dynamic programming, staying up to date on administrative responsibilities, be a motivated self-starter with ability to set clear goals and follow through with flexible and creative problem solving.
Required Skills & Experience
- Proven organizational skills in meeting or exceeding expectations in production of timely planning and deliverables such as program plans, reports and observational notes.
- Extensive knowledge of youth development principles and practices, especially relating to social and emotional learning, play and inclusion.
- Demonstrate flexibility, adaptability and the ability to persevere in challenging and unpredictable situations that may require pivoting or shifting focus and/or deliverables.
- At least 2 years of experience working directly with small and large groups of children.
- Experience working collaboratively with adults and facilitating trainings for adults..
- Strong written and oral communication and presentation skills with the ability to facilitate small and large group presentations.
- Experience establishing and maintaining professional relationships with internal leadership and teams and external clients through excellent interpersonal skills and professionalism.
- Experience interacting with diverse communities and ability to integrate into school communities.
- Knowledge of computer and internet based programs especially Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint), Google Drive, and virtual meeting platforms such as Google Meets and Zoom.
- This position requires travel to various regional locations. School sites may be widely dispersed in the city/region therefore daily access to reliable transportation is required.
- Requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
Compensation & Benefits:
Playworks offers the full package - great benefits, a fun place to work and an opportunity to grow professionally.
- This is a full-time, exempt position that reports to a Program Manager and based in Detroit, MI.
- At Playworks, our starting salary takes into consideration internal pay equity, geographic pay differential and robust external market data. We highly value transparency and equity within compensation and therefore are committed to adhering to established compensation pay points. The salary for this position is $43,000.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, 401(k) plans with employer match of up to 3% of salary, life insurance, employee funded pre-tax health, and child care spending accounts.
- Generous Flexible PTO policy with paid sick and holiday leave
This is a hands-on, creative, playful and fun-loving place to work, all while contributing to the success of our nation’s youth. So if you're ready to immerse yourself in the education sector, working on a rewarding set of challenges and if you've got the skills, experience, passion, and a team spirit, apply!
- A cover letter describing your interest in Playworks and how your experience has prepared you for this role.
- References will be requested.
Service Environment: This position operates in both a school and office environment both indoors and outdoors. The position interacts with children on playgrounds and in classrooms on a daily basis. A significant portion of the interaction with schools may occur virtually.
Typical physical and mental demands:
This position requires sufficient physical ability and mobility to stand for extended periods at times; walk on a school site in various weather conditions; to climb stairs at some sites; to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach and twist and, dependent on assignment the employee may occasionally lift, push, pull and/or move up to 50 pounds.
ABOUT PLAYWORKS, at Playworks we believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid. We are changing the school climate by leveraging the power of safe, fun, and healthy play at school every day. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills by partnering with schools, districts, and after-school programs through services including digital engagement, on-site coaches, professional training for school staff who support play, and consultative partnerships.
We are committed to racial equity, and we make a particular effort to recruit people of color, indigenous people, gender non-binary people, and people with historically more marginalized identities to apply for open positions. Our core values of cultivate play, center equity, continue learning and collaborate within communities are the foundation of our organization and are infused in all aspects of our work.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. If that is you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself!
As an equal opportunity program, Playworks encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, gender identity/expression, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, faith, marital status, physical ability, or any other legally protected basis. Playworks evaluates all candidates for employment, volunteering opportunities or board service on a merit basis.