Pro Trainer (Greater Los Angeles)
ABOUT PLAYWORKS, at Playworks we believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid. We are changing the school climate by leveraging the power of safe, fun, and healthy play at school every day. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills by partnering with schools, districts, and after-school programs through services including digital engagement, on-site coaches, professional training for school staff who support play, and consultative partnerships.
ABOUT THE POSITION, in the role as a Playworks Trainer, you are directly responsible for providing professional development for adult learners on how to facilitate safe and healthy play. You will work primarily with external clients, helping foster relationships with and deliver trainings across Southern California to partners such as school districts, after school programs and community based organizations. Each training helps adults create a place where every kid belongs, has fun and is part of the game.
Specifically you will:
- Provide trainings and consultation to teachers, school staff and admin, youth workers and clients outside of the youth development sphere within the areas of play, youth development, recess design, physical activity, group management, conflict resolution, youth leadership and program sustainability
Develop and maintain relationships with clients pre and post trainings, including visits to schools to provide recess observations, consultation, and collaborative action planning with school recess teams
- Contribute to the development and continued quality improvement of Playworks curriculum, including developing training content and techniques
- Support the creation of written materials and tools such as training packets, posters, conference programs, promotional materials and other educational and marketing resources
- Provide feedback and support to other Playworks staff delivering trainings
- Build strong relationships with key strategic partners to generate opportunities for future trainings, working closely with a Playworks' Regional Partnership Manager and Regional Partnerships Director to vet and approach partners for continued relationships
- This position requires extensive travel to local training locations at an average of 75% of your time with some months being more during peak seasons
If you're a good fit for this position, you already know most of what this job entails. However, to be sure we're providing a complete picture, here are some details:
Success in this position will require strong knowledge of youth development principles and practices, especially relating to social and emotional learning, play and inclusion.
- You will be successful if you possess strong stage presence, public speaking skills and active listening skills
- The strongest candidate will have the demonstrated ability to maintain professional relationships with external clients and represent the organization’s brand in a professional manner
Required Skills & Experience
- At least 2-3 years experience delivering training to adults
- Strong and dynamic facilitation skills
- Experience in development and delivery of trainings and curriculum
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, with strong follow through on details
- You must have outstanding interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills -in addition to maintaining an open line of communication, you'll demonstrate good phone and email etiquette and the ability to facilitate small and large group presentations.
- Requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
- Comfort with a playful, exuberant and mildly irreverent workplace culture
- Thrives in an environment characterized by growth, diversity and change
- Able to work outside of normal business hours, including evenings and weekends
- Requires extensive travel to local and national training locations at an average of 45% of your time with some months being more during peak seasons
- Must have ongoing access to reliable transportation to and from local training sites.
Compensation & Benefits:
Playworks offers the full package - great benefits, a fun place to work and an opportunity to grow professionally. We offer:
- This is a full-time, salary, exempt position that reports to the Regional Partnership Manager.
- At Playworks, our starting salary takes into consideration internal pay equity, geographic pay differential and robust external market data. We highly value transparency and equity within compensation and therefore are committed to adhering to established compensation pay points. The starting salary for this position is $66,600
- This position will be based in Los Angeles County, CA with frequent travel in Southern California.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, 401(k) plans with employer match of up to 3% of salary, life insurance, employee funded pre-tax health, and child care spending accounts.
- Generous Flex PTO policy, paid sick and holiday leave
This is a hands-on, creative, playful and fun-loving place to work, all while contributing to the success of our nation’s youth. So if you're ready to immerse yourself in the education sector, working on a rewarding set of challenges and if you've got the skills, experience, passion, and a team spirit, apply!
- A cover letter describing your interest in Playworks and how your experience has prepared you for this role.
- If we think you’re the right fit, we’ll request your references; there’s no need to include them at the outset.
We are committed to racial equity, and we make a particular effort to recruit people of color, indigenous people, gender non-binary people, and people with historically more marginalized identities to apply for open positions. Our core values of cultivating play, center equity, continued learning and collaboration within communities are the foundation of our organization and are infused in all aspects of our work.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. If that is you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself!
As an equal opportunity program, Playworks encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, gender identity/expression, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, faith, marital status, physical ability, or any other legally protected basis. Playworks evaluates all candidates for employment, volunteering opportunities or board service on a merit basis.