Pro Trainer (Part-time, Temporary)
ABOUT US, at Playworks we believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid. We are changing school climate by leveraging the power of safe, fun, and healthy play at school every day. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. We partner with schools, districts, and after-school programs to provide a service or mix of services including on-site coaches, professional training for school staff who support recess, and consultative partnerships.
ABOUT THE ROLE, we are looking for a dynamic, flexible and skilled educational, California Pro Trainer to provide professional development for adult learners on how to facilitate healthy play. Working primarily with external clients, this role helps foster relationships with and delivers training across the country to partners such as school districts, after school programs and community based organizations. Along with attending conferences and providing meaningful team buildings with our Corporate Partners. Each training helps both adults and kids create a place where everyone belongs, has fun and is part of the game. The California Pro Trainer will work closely with the California Hub Team and will report directly to the CA Regional Partnership Manager.
This is a part-time, temporary position based in California with frequent travel throughout the state.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Provide trainings and consultation to both corporate and school based partners to include: teachers, school staff and admin, students, and youth workers within the areas of play, youth development, recess design, physical activity, group management, conflict resolution, youth leadership and program sustainability
- Develop and maintain relationships with external clients pre and post trainings, including visits to schools to provide observations, consultation, and collaborative action planning with school site teams
- Contribute to the development and continued quality improvement of Playworks curriculum, including working with Playworks Pro to develop training content and techniques
- Deliver trainings including but not limited to: Recess Reboot, Recess Implementation, Power of Play & Group Management, Consultation Visits, etc.
- Support the creation of new services and tools such as trainings, conference programs, promotional materials, playshops and other educational and marketing resources
- Build strong relationships with key strategic partners to generate opportunities for future trainings, working closely with California Partnership Director to vet and approach partners for continued relationships
- Provide trainings to clients outside of the youth development sphere in order to support strategies that bring in new resources and partnerships that extend Playworks’ reach
- Work directly with the Regional Partnership Manager’s to support California wide team, pro and grant funded pro services and deliverables.
- At least 2-3 years experience delivering training to adults
- Extensive knowledge of youth development principles and practices, especially relating to social and emotional learning, play and inclusion
- Strong and dynamic facilitation skills
- Strong stage presence, public speaking skills and active listening skills
- Experience in development and delivery of trainings and curriculum
- Demonstrated ability to maintain professional relationships with external clients and represent organization’s brand in a professional manner
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, with strong follow through on details
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Comfort with a playful, exuberant and mildly irreverent workplace culture
- Thrives in an environment characterized by growth, diversity and change
- Able to work outside of normal business hours, including evenings and weekends
- Requires extensive travel throughout all of CA national training locations at an average of 11 training days per month, not including travel days
- Must own vehicle or have ongoing access to vehicle to ensure reliable transportation to and from training sites
- Valid state-issued driver's license required, including a current MVR, proof of liability and property damage insurance with a minimum of (100,000; 300,000) on vehicle used
Other things you need to know:
- This position will require travel to various locations throughout California. Must own a vehicle or have ongoing access to vehicle to ensure reliable transportation to and from training sites.
- If a Playworks employee is required to drive a vehicle for work related purposes (not commuting purposes) the employee must complete an authorization form and provide us with evidence of valid, current driver's license and proof of liability/collision/property damage insurance with minimum coverage of $50,000 each accident/ $100,000 each occurrence.
- You must have outstanding communication skills-in addition to maintaining an open line of communication, you'll demonstrate excellent communication skills, including good phone and email etiquette and the ability to facilitate small and large group presentations.
- Requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
Compensation & Benefits:
Playworks offers a fun place to work and an opportunity to grow professionally. offer:
- This is a temporary, hourly, non-exempt position that reports to the Regional Partnership Manager.
- At Playworks, our starting salary takes into consideration internal pay equity, geographic pay differential and robust external market data. We highly value transparency and equity within compensation and therefore are committed to adhering to established compensation pay points. The starting salary for this position is $30.00/hr.
- This is a remote position located within California with frequent travel throughout the state.
This is a hands-on, creative, playful and fun-loving place to work, all while contributing to the success of our nation’s youth. So if you're ready to immerse yourself in the education sector, working on a rewarding set of challenges and if you've got the skills, experience, passion, and a team spirit, apply!
- A cover letter describing your interest in Playworks and how your experience has prepared you for this role.
- If we think you’re the right fit, we’ll request your references; there’s no need to include them at the outset.
We are committed to racial equity, and we make a particular effort to recruit people of color, indigenous people, gender non-binary people, and people with historically more marginalized identities to apply for open positions. Our core values of cultivating play, center equity, continued learning and collaboration within communities are the foundation of our organization and are infused in all aspects of our work.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. If that is you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself!
As an equal opportunity program, Playworks encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, gender identity/expression, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, faith, marital status, physical ability, or any other legally protected basis. Playworks evaluates all candidates for employment, volunteering opportunities or board service on a merit basis.