Site Specialist San Francisco, CA
ABOUT PLAYWORKS, at Playworks we believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid. We are changing the school climate by leveraging the power of safe, fun, and healthy play at school every day. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills by partnering with schools, districts, and after-school programs through services including digital engagement, on-site coaches, professional training for school staff who support play, and consultative partnerships.
ABOUT THE POSITION, as a Site Specialist, you will bring healthy play and physical activity to two elementary schools to create a positive environment for learning and teaching. School assignments for this position are located in the Alhambra Unified School District. In this position, you receive training before the school year starts. You will partner with two schools to run Playworks' physical activity programs focused on teaching and organizing safe and inclusive games during the school day. You teach conflict resolution strategies, inspire all children to get off the sidelines and into the game and work to generate more community and family involvement.
Here’s where you come in:
Specifically, you will have Program, Administrative, and School Partnership Duties as follows:
- Plan and implement sports and play based programming during recess, in school and after school hours at a public elementary school:
- Recess - Create a safe, fun, and inclusive playground by developing and modeling standard agreements for behavior and conflict resolution skills, teaching kids and recess support staff the rules and strategies of the games, and recruiting disengaged students to participate.
- Junior Coach Leadership Program - Implement a youth leadership program by facilitating student trainings and providing student leadership opportunities at recess. Junior Coaches are a mix of 4th through 6th grade students who participate in regular trainings that focus on teaching valuable skills like leadership, conflict resolution, inclusion and community action, successfully improving their self-esteem, self advocacy, leadership ability, and desire to improve academically.
- Class Game Time - Lead instructional time with individual classes throughout the year. During this time, the coach teaches foundational skills and activities that will prepare students so they can confidently engage in and enjoy recess.
- Plan and implement the learning units and recess staff trainings for program components.
- Support school staff with launching play-based activities for the summer programs as needed.
- Alternate activities may be requested based on school needs and as approved and in collaboration with Playworks. Modifications could include online instruction and virtual delivery of recess or class game time activities, urgent community service activities such as support for school meals distribution during COVID-19, etc.
- Maintain communication between Playworks staff, school staff, teachers, families, and volunteers.
- Collect and maintain paperwork including organizing daily, weekly, and monthly schedules and timesheets.
- Support the collection of evaluations administered by Playworks.
School Partnership Duties:
- Consistently represent Playworks’ brand in a professional manner.
- Design program schedule with input and support from school administration.
- Communicate with school administration regarding program implementation logistics and support needs.
- Facilitate school’s transition to other Playworks trainings, programs, and products in preparation for future school years.
Regional Support Duties:
- Support in delivering corporate engagements to adults such as School Beautifications, Play Days, Community Events, and Corporate Recesses in person or virtually.
- Support regional team and national program department with delivery of programmatic learning, pre-service training, management resources and contribute to the development and continued quality improvement of Playworks curriculum.
- Participate in fundraising projects and events, e.g. End of the Year Appeal and annual events.
If you're a good fit for this position, you already know most of what this job entails. However, to be sure we're providing a complete picture, here are some details:
- Success in this position will require you to be highly organized and energetic, great at multitasking, with strong attention to detail and ability to manage time and multiple priorities
- The strongest candidate will have proven experience and success in managing dynamic programming, staying up to date on administrative responsibilities, be a motivated self-starter with ability to set clear goals and follow through with flexible and creative problem solving.
Required Skills & Experience
- Proven organizational skills in meeting or exceeding expectations in production of timely planning and deliverables such as program plans, reports and observational notes.
- Extensive knowledge of youth development principles and practices, especially relating to social and emotional learning, play and inclusion.
- At least 2 years of experience working directly with small and large groups of children.
- Experience working collaboratively with adults and facilitating trainings for adults.
- Strong written and oral communication and presentation skills with the ability to facilitate small and large group presentations.
- Experience establishing and maintaining professional relationships with internal leadership and teams and external clients through excellent interpersonal skills and professionalism.
- Experience interacting with diverse communities and ability to integrate into school communities.
- Knowledge of computer and internet based programs especially Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint), Google Drive, and virtual meeting platforms such as Google Meets and Zoom.
- Flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
- Ability to work from home if needed.
Compensation & Benefits:
Playworks offers the full package - great benefits, a fun place to work and an opportunity to grow professionally. We offer:
- This is a full-time non-exempt position with a rate of $21.39 / hr.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, 401k, paid parental leave, life insurance, employee funded pre-tax health and child care spending accounts.
- Paid vacation for all school breaks and paid sick-leave
- Opportunities for professional development
This is a hands-on, creative, playful and fun-loving place to work, all while contributing to the success of our nation’s youth. So if you're ready to immerse yourself in the education sector, working on a rewarding set of challenges and if you've got the skills, experience, passion, and a team spirit, apply!
- Anticipated start date of August 1st, 2023
- Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted on a rolling basis
Other things you need to know:
- This position may require travel to various locations.
- If a Playworks employee is required to drive a vehicle for work related purposes (not commuting purposes) the employee must complete an authorization form and provide us with evidence of valid, current driver's license and proof of liability/collision/property damage insurance with minimum coverage of $50,000 each accident/ $100,000 each occurrence
- In the event of virtual instruction activities, position will require use of computer technology and internet access
Typical physical and mental demands:
Playworks Site Specialists are required to frequently balance, bend, climb, grasp, kneel, reach, sit, squat, stand, stoop, twist, walk, and write on a daily basis. Site Specialist must also be able to occasionally lift and carry light to medium loads of 10 – 50 pounds, and be able to occasionally pull and push loads of 10 – 50 pounds. Requires a normal range of hearing and eyesight to communicate with children and adults. Also requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environments.
Playworks is changing the way children experience school every day by leveraging the power of safe and healthy play. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. Our ambitions demand that we invest in recruiting, developing and managing a team that reflects the broad diversity of our communities.
Our core values of inclusion, respect, healthy community and healthy play are the foundation of our organization and are infused in all aspects of our work, including recruiting and retaining the best talent we can. While diversity is often used in reference to visual characteristics such as race, ethnicity, age, sex and physical appearance, we embrace a broader definition of diversity that also includes less visible factors, We also recognize that individuals can affiliate with multiple identities.
As an equal opportunity program, Playworks encourages applications from all individuals regardless of national origin, religion, gender, differing abilities (physical, mental, learning), sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, education, marital status, language, political affiliation, military experience, and any other legally protected basis. Playworks evaluates all candidates on a merit basis.
Something looks off?