Site Coordinator Northern California
ABOUT Playworks, Playworks is the leading national nonprofit leveraging the power of play to transform children’s physical and emotional health. Playworks makes recess a fun, safe place for all students. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. When kids do better at recess, they do better in class. When they have developed social and emotional skills, they do better in life. That’s where you come in.
Playworks partners with elementary schools to make this fun, inclusive recess a reality. We provide multiple services including on-site coaches, professional training for school staff who support recess, and consultative partnerships.
ABOUT THE POSITION, as a Site Coordinator, you will demonstrate the power of Playworks by partnering with three Sunnyvale elementary schools directly through our TeamUp program. During the school year, you will rotate between the schools, one week at a time.
Implementation of the TeamUp program includes:
- Rotate between schools one week at a time. Deliver on-site coaching to students, and consultation to school personnel by implementing the following components:
- Recess – work with recess staff to develop a safe and inclusive playground. Be a significant presence on the yard by organizing and playing games.
- Student leadership program – organize a Junior Coach student leadership program for 4th and 5th graders by facilitating monthly trainings and working with school staff to manage Junior Coaches during recess.
- Instructional classes – lead 20-30 minute classes, teaching games students can play at recess. Through these classes, students will learn what, how, and where to play at recess. They'll gain experience and confidence in themselves, and feel more comfortable joining in at recess.
- Maintain communication between Playworks staff, school staff, and teachers.
- Collect and maintain paperwork, including organizing schedules, meeting agendas, implementation emails, notes, lesson plans, school newsletters, and data.
- Plan and implement trainings for recess staff.
- Ongoing learning to develop training skills and curriculum.
- Attend conferences and professional development opportunities.
- Take an active role in preservice training for all new and returning staff.
- Organize and facilitate staff trainings.
- (Optional) Become a certified trainer and deliver Playworks Pro services to school staff. May include travel within Northern California.
WHO YOU ARE
- Self-starter. You set clear goals and follow through with flexible and creative problem solving. You can work independently with minimal supervision. You also seek and incorporate feedback from your colleagues.
- You are not afraid to ask questions. You openly communicate with teams and departments that are different from yours, facilitating collaboration and serving as a thought partner for members of the entire organization.
- Relationship Builder. You have an ability to manage, motivate and develop diverse individuals and teams, knowing how to meet an individual's unique needs. You also thrive in situations where you are developing and maintaining external relationships and partnerships.
- Highly organized. You are great at multitasking and able to manage your time across multiple priorities.
- Detail Oriented. You catch the little things and think it’s a big deal. You understand that every word you write to an external audience is a reflection on Playworks.
- You thrive in an environment characterized by significant growth, diversity and constant change.
- Mission Driven. You are committed to Playworks’ mission and vision to improve outcomes for children and schools. You are also committed to Playworks Equity Statement, recognizing that equity learning is a journey that will require a willingness to participate in organizational-wide learning and development.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Demonstrated experience leading groups of children of all sizes with the ability to engage and inspire youth.
- Motivated self-starter with strong interpersonal communication skills.
- The ability to make connections and sustain multiple relationships in diverse communities, and the ability to integrate into an existing school community.
- Ability to engage with diverse staff and leadership to promote equity, trust, collaboration, and partnership between departments and levels of leadership.
- Conceptual ability for the larger perspective with a strong attention to detail and multitasking.
- Must have access to reliable transportation to travel to school locations in Sunnyvale.
Compensation & Benefits:
Playworks offers the full package - great benefits, a fun place to work and an opportunity to grow professionally. We offer:
- In compliance with California’s Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, the expected hourly rate for this full-time, non-exempt position is $23.56 per hour.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, 401(k) with 3% employer match, life insurance, employee-funded pre-tax health, and child care spending accounts.
- Generous paid time off with paid vacation, sick, and holiday leave.
This is a hands-on, creative, playful and fun-loving place to work, all while contributing to the success of our nation’s youth. So if you're ready to immerse yourself in the education sector, working on a rewarding set of challenges and if you've got the skills, experience, passion, and a team spirit, apply!
- A cover letter describing your interest in Playworks and how your experience has prepared you for this role.
- References will be requested if competitive for the position.
We are committed to racial equity, and we make a particular effort to recruit people of color, indigenous people, gender non-binary people, and people with historically more marginalized identities to apply for open positions. Our core values of cultivate play, center equity, continue learning and collaborate within communities are the foundation of our organization and are infused in all aspects of our work.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. If that is you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself!
As an equal opportunity program, Playworks encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, gender identity/expression, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, faith, marital status, physical ability, or any other legally protected basis. Playworks evaluates all candidates for employment, volunteering opportunities or board service on a merit basis.
Something looks off?