ABOUT PLAYWORKS, at Playworks we believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid. We are changing the school climate by leveraging the power of safe, fun, and healthy play at school every day. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills by partnering with schools, districts, and after-school programs through services including digital engagement, on-site coaches, professional training for school staff who support play, and consultative partnerships..
ABOUT THIS ROLE, as a Program Specialist, you will help demonstrate the power of Playworks by: partnering with schools directly, providing support for programming across the Bay Area, and delivering professional development trainings to school staff.
Specifically, you will:
For one to three weeks per month, implement our TeamUp program at East Bay elementary school(s). This includes:
- Maintain communication between Playworks staff, school staff, and teachers.
- Collect and maintain paperwork, including organizing schedules, meeting agendas, implementation emails, notes, lesson plans, school newsletters, and data.
- Plan and implement trainings for recess staff.
- Deliver on-site coaching, consultation, and modeling to school personnel by implementing the following components:
- Recess – work with recess staff to develop a safe and inclusive playground. Be a significant presence on the yard by organizing and playing games.
- Student leadership program – organize a Junior Coach student leadership program for 4th and 5th graders by facilitating monthly trainings and working with school staff to manage Junior Coaches during recess.
- Instructional classes – lead 20-30 minute classes, teaching games students can play at recess. Through these classes, students will learn what, how, and where to play at recess. They'll gain experience and confidence in themselves, and feel more comfortable joining in at recess.
- On non-TeamUp weeks, support the regional program team by working with Program Managers and other Playworks staff to ensure program quality at all Coach, TeamUp, and Relay schools.
- Become a certified trainer and deliver Playworks Pro services to school staff. May include travel within Northern California.
- Organize and facilitate Playworks staff trainings.
- Ongoing learning to develop training skills and curriculum.
- Attend conferences and professional development opportunities.
- Take an active role in preservice training for all new and returning staff.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Demonstrated experience leading groups of children of all sizes with the ability to engage and inspire youth.
- Motivated self-starter with strong interpersonal communication skills, both oral and written.
- The ability to make connections and sustain multiple relationships in diverse communities, and the ability to integrate into an existing school community.
- Ability to engage with diverse staff and leadership to promote equity, trust, collaboration, and partnership between departments and levels of leadership.
- Conceptual ability for the larger perspective with a strong attention to detail and multitasking.
- Must have access to reliable transportation to travel locally, this position will require travel to various regional locations.
Compensation & Benefits:
Playworks offers the full package - great benefits, a fun place to work and an opportunity to grow professionally. We offer:
- Competitive nonprofit compensation commensurate with experience, starting at $28.46 per hour. This is a full-time, non-exempt position which reports to a Program Manager.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, 401(k) with match, disability, life insurance, employee funded pre-tax health, and child care spending accounts.
- Generous flexible paid time off policy with paid sick and holiday leave.
This is a hands-on, creative, playful place to work, all while contributing to the success of our nation’s youth. If you're ready to immerse yourself in the education sector, and if you've got the skills, experience, and passion, apply!
We are committed to racial equity, and we make a particular effort to recruit people of color, indigenous people, gender non-binary people, and people with historically more marginalized identities to apply for open positions. Our core values of cultivate play, center equity, continue learning and collaborate within communities are the foundation of our organization and are infused in all aspects of our work.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. If that is you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself!
As an equal opportunity program, Playworks encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, gender identity/expression, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, faith, marital status, physical ability, or any other legally protected basis. Playworks evaluates all candidates for employment, volunteering opportunities or board service on a merit basis.
Something looks off?