Program Coordinator Sunnyvale CA
ABOUT PLAYWORKS, at Playworks we believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid. We are changing the school climate by leveraging the power of safe, fun, and healthy play at school every day. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills by partnering with schools, districts, and after-school programs through services including digital engagement, on-site coaches, professional training for school staff who support play, and consultative partnerships.
ABOUT THE POSITION, in the role of Program Coordinator (Coach) you will be partnered with one elementary school in Sunnyvale and responsible for implementing the four components of our program:
- Recess - Create a fun, inclusive recess for everyone. Play kickball, foursquare, soccer, and more. Set up games and invite kids to play! Hop in a game and lead by example so every kid can have fun.
- Class Game Time - Lead one class at a time, teaching games students can play at recess. Through these classes, students will learn what, how, and where to play at recess. They'll gain experience and confidence in themselves, and feel more comfortable joining in at recess.
- Junior Coach Leadership Program - Lead a youth leadership program for 4th and 5th graders. Train them once per week after school how to be a coach like you, and then guide them at recess as they help you manage games! We provide a curriculum for Junior Coaches to learn about job skills, conflict resolution, leadership, and more. Students who are Junior Coaches gain confidence and leadership skills, and they help make recess better for everyone.
- Leagues - Coach a sports team of 4th and 5th graders in a non-competitive league. Most students are total beginners, so this team is all about getting the hang of the game, having fun, and providing a positive team experience.
Here's what we offer:
- This is a Full-time, seasonal, non-exempt position for the 2023-2024 school year with an hourly wage of $21.19/hr.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, 401(k) with match, disability, life insurance, employee funded pre-tax health and childcare spending accounts.
- Professional development and networking opportunities.
- This is a Seasonal position starting in August and runs through the last day of school (early-mid
Other Key Responsibilities:
- Maintain communication between Playworks staff, school staff, teachers, and families.
- Collect and maintain paperwork including schedules, calendars, and timesheets.
- Attend regular trainings provided by Playworks.
Required Skills & Experience:
- We provide lots of training. Aren’t sure how to do something? You will be trained, and we have a dedicated support staff to help you throughout the year.
- Candidates must clear a National Sex Offender Public Registry, State criminal check, and FBI background check.
- Successful completion of TB test and CPR/First Aid certification (upon hire).
- Reliable transportation to get to your schools is required.
- Must be willing to play! You don’t have to be an all-star athlete. As long as you’re willing to join the game and set a good example for the kids, you’ll be great.
This is a unique, highly rewarding position. In addition to the benefits listed above, this position receives a lot of professional development and networking opportunities. If you want to work in a school, grow your skills, or just want a fun job while making a difference in the community, apply today!
We are committed to racial equity, and we make a particular effort to recruit people of color, indigenous people, gender non-binary people, and people with historically more marginalized identities to apply for open positions. Our core values of inclusion, respect, healthy community and healthy play are the foundation of our organization and are infused in all aspects of our work.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. If that is you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself!
As an equal opportunity program, Playworks encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, gender identity/expression, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, physical ability, or any other legally protected basis. Playworks evaluates all candidates for employment, volunteering opportunities or board service on a merit basis.