Senior Accountant (Remote)
About Array Education
Array Education is an innovation studio that supports, connects, and invests in teaching and learning projects starting with early literacy and continuing through the strong launch of a young person’s career. The projects we are inspired by, whether in K-12 or beyond, are designed to prepare young people to pursue paths of their choosing post high school. Our post K-12 work is united by a recognition that as we age our educations and our careers are best described not as sequential stops in our lives but rather the double helix of our lives’ DNA.
Array Education currently operates five main programs or ventures – Cooperman College Scholars, a college scholarship program targeting high-potential, underrepresented students from Essex County, NJ; nXu, that provides research-based, transformative, purpose-driven learning experiences for youth and adults through a school-based curriculum, educator training and development, and direct student programming; Lit, a program partnering with school and system leaders to build, implement, and sustain reading ecosystems that live at the intersection of research and instructional equity; Opportunity College, a new online post-secondary program for a new generation of career seekers; and Teach Like a Champion, a program that studies and shares the best practices of effective teachers. In addition to operating these programs, we also explore and invest in technologies and tools that have the potential to dramatically improve instructional experiences and outcomes.
The Array central team provides shared services support to all of our programs, including financial, operations, HR, technology, and legal support services. Our job is to keep everything running smoothly behind the scenes, so our colleagues can focus on delivering amazing, life-changing programs. In addition to paying our bills on time, onboarding and supporting staff across all programs, and being helpful and responsive resources to our teammates, we always find ways to learn in our roles and improve how we do our work. We’re looking for eager finance and accounting personnel to join our team and contribute to supporting our ecosystem of programs and organizations.
Reporting to Array Education’s Director of Finance (DOF), the Senior Accountant will be responsible for a wide range of financial reporting and analysis, including monthly budget reporting, grant tracking and reporting, and ad hoc reporting. The Senior Accountant will also be primarily responsible for the A/R function of one of our core programs and provide support for the other programs. Additionally, the Senior Accountant will play a large role in the monthly close process as well as assisting the Junior Accountant as needed with payroll, A/R, and and A/P functions. The Senior Accountant will also focus on special and seasonal projects and improving our client service experience.
The position requires a hard worker who is eager to learn with strong attention to detail. The Senior Accountant will also need to be able to look at the big picture as well as the day-to-day processes focused on continuous improvement, accuracy and efficiency. In addition, the Senior Accountant needs to have a passion for Array Education’s purpose and a deeply collaborative approach to work.
Financial Reporting & Analysis (30%):
- Financial Reporting (25%):
- Prepare monthly financial reports for key programs and support annual budgeting. Maintain updated budget/cash flow projections in partnership with the DOF and key program leads
- Work on ad hoc reporting requests to support operational decision-making
- Grant Management (5%):
- Assist the DOF with maintaining compliance for restricted grants. Ensure grants are used and managed properly through proper accounting/expenditure tracking
Accounting Functions & Oversight (50-60%):
- Manage A/R function for one or more of our core programs
- Prepare partner/customer A/R invoices that accurately reflect program agreements and payment terms
- Respond timely and professionally to inquiries surrounding invoices
- Lead process for A/R tracking and following up with partners/customers, coordinating with colleagues as needed
- Coordinate RFP bid preparation process for potential partners/customers
- Monthly close process:
- Analyze and input accounting data as needed
- Perform monthly bank and investment reconciliations for assigned accounts
- Perform other reconciliations as needed to ensure accuracy of all financial data
- Continuously monitor and improve how accounting processes are completed with an eye for accuracy and efficiency
- Set up and maintain up to date vendor account records with customers and partners
- Aid in coaching and developing the Junior Accountant to accurately and efficiently complete day to day execution of payroll, A/P, A/R, credit card processing, and expense reimbursement process; assist with these process from time to time as needed
Special Projects and Other Responsibilities (10-20%):
- Seasonal Projects:
- Assist with annual audit preparation
- Assist in annual and quarterly tax and regulatory reporting
- Client Service Projects:
- Assist in training program teams on our accounting policies and procedures
- Preparing & maintain guides to support colleagues’ commonly asked questions
- Ongoing Learning for Yourself & the Team:
- Lead and facilitate some team wide sessions to develop cross functional Array Education knowledge and strengthen team culture while building leadership skills
- Partner with DOF to develop and execute a professional development plan to foster finance and leadership skills
- Engage with Array Education’s programs as opportunities arise to deepen understanding and connection to the mission and program objectives
- Bachelor’s degree required; major in accounting, finance, or related field preferred
- 3+ years of accounting or finance experience, with experience in all aspects of bookkeeping, including A/P, A/R, journal entries and payroll; or knowledge of accounting transactions through audit experience
- Proficiency with Excel
- Exceptional attention to detail - you thrive on being thorough, accurate and precise in all you do
- Curiosity to learn new things and desire to deeply understand all aspects of your finance and accounting work - you constantly ask questions, take notes for your own references, and don’t hesitate to confirm your understanding when needed
- Proactive, pragmatic, and resourceful problem solver – you enjoy trying to figure things out
- Ability to work efficiently, smartly, and within an entrepreneurial environment, with demonstrated ability to be a self-starter
- Strong organizational and communication skills with a service-oriented mentality
- A passion to join a mission-driven organization
- Additional qualifications preferred
- Knowledge of non-profit accounting
- Financial reporting experience preferred, e.g. budgeting, forecasting, and grant reporting
- Audit support experience
- Regulatory reporting experience (i.e. 1099, W-2, census reporting)
- Experience with various aspects of vendor management
Benefits: The salary range for this position is $80,000-100,000, depending on experience. Array Education offers a competitive benefits package, including subsidized health insurance (medical, dental, vision), disability insurance, 401(k) match, unlimited sick time, 18 holidays, and 15 PTO/vacation days.
Location: This is a hybrid position requiring 1-2 days a week in-person in lower Manhattan.
If you are interested in this position, please submit your application at our Greenhouse page, where you will be asked to answer some application questions.
We know that women and people of color are often less likely to apply to a position if they don’t match 100% of the job qualifications. Don’t let that be the reason you miss out on this opportunity! Please do apply if you can meet many of the qualifications. We commit to reviewing your applications, keeping your info on file, and reaching out if a well-suited position becomes available.