Curriculum & Product Design Consultant
Position: Curriculum & Product Design Consultant
Location: Flexible (100% remote)
Type: Full-Time, Short-Term Consultant (8-10 month position)
Overview of nXu
nXu (short for nexus) is a non-profit initiative that provides research-based, transformative, purpose-driven learning experiences for youth and adults through a school-based curriculum, educator training and development, and direct student programming. Through our model, we cultivate spaces to elevate joy and center our collective stories. We dig deep to explore the unique set of joys, strengths, and values that intersect to drive each of us in a meaningful direction. In doing so, we learn to see our identities as powerful and essential for charting fulfilling future pathways.
Overview of Role
We seek an exceptional Curriculum & Product Design Consultant to build & iterate on our existing middle & high school Nexus curriculum while concurrently serving as a strategic thought partner around nXu’s product development & expansion. The ideal candidate has a sincere passion for curriculum development, thorough knowledge of social-emotional learning & career exploration content, middle & high school students, and an appreciation for purpose development. Moreover, this candidate possesses a deep understanding of how to create curricula that is resonant with middle & high school students, particularly those from historically marginalized communities, and that can be implemented by educators in a wide range of teaching contexts and modalities.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Core to nXu's partnership model is the Nexus curriculum, and this role will drive the continued development, refinement, and expansion of our content. Core responsibilities of this position include:
- Serve as a strategic thought partner & leader of nXu’s curriculum development, product expansion & organizational vision;
- Develop–in collaboration with members of Curriculum Development team–new lesson content that leverages nXu’s preexisting middle & high school scope and sequences;
- Coach & manage nXu’s Curriculum Development Team in further revisions & additions to nXu’s 175+ lesson middle & high school curriculum. Current areas of focus include:
- Modifying lesson length for meet the needs of partners’ various use cases;
- Revising lessons to accommodate for students with learning differences; and
- Iterating and expanding on the curriculum’s Career Exploration content to further align with national career standards.
- Develop & maintain systems and processes to ensure the Curriculum Development team is on track to deliver high quality curricular materials to nXu partners;
- Seek input from nXu team members and, if appropriate, from key external constituents with expertise in middle & high school SEL curriculum; and
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
Candidates for this position must possess the following qualifications:
- At least 3-5 years of previous curriculum development experience, especially related to SEL and career exploration curriculum, that has been implemented by a wide range of educators in multiple educational contexts;
- Thorough knowledge of social-emotional learning & curriculum and career pathways content and, ideally, connections to experts in this field;
- Previous middle or high school teaching experience strongly preferred;
- Experience with people management, particularly around project support and execution;
- Exceptional task management skills, including superior attention to detail and consistent ability to meet deadlines;
- Passion for curriculum development;
- Experience seeking and integrating feedback from multiple constituents;
- Comfort working with a remote team, often independently;
- Entrepreneurial spirit and an interest in working in a fast-paced, start-up environment; and
- Belief in nXu’s mission and a passion for helping other people--especially teenagers--explore, articulate and pursue their purpose in life.