Volunteer: Web Application Developer
Sacramento, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2023
The Oppia team works to create effective, enjoyable online lessons at scale that can reach millions of people. We want every individual, no matter what their personal circumstances, to have access to learning experiences that are not only pedagogically effective, but also fun and engaging. Our focus is on reducing the equity gap in access to education, and we are currently working on providing free and effective basic math and science lessons that can be played on cheap Android devices to learners in underserved communities around the world. Oppia's lessons have already reached over 2,000,000 users, and learners using our basic mathematics curriculum have seen gains of over 50% from pre-test to post-test. You can read some examples of our work in these blog posts ( post 1, post 2).A key differentiator of Oppia is its unique technology platform, which simulates an interactive tutor by adapting each lesson to individual learners’ needs and providing specific, targeted feedback to help them improve. Furthermore, all our lessons are openly licensed and the platform is open source, which enables a diverse group of educators and technologists from around the world to regularly iterate on and improve them. We are looking for a volunteer software developer to collaborate on building features for an open source education platform that aims to make high-quality basic education accessible for everyone. The volunteer would contribute to the development of tools that enable the community to translate lessons into multiple languages, or improve the learning experience for under-resourced learners around the world who use the platform to learn.We currently have openings available on the Web and Android teams! Please follow the instructions on our GitHub wiki pages to get started
- Web https //github.com/oppia/oppia/wiki/Contributing-code-to-Oppia#setting-things-up
- Android https //github.com/oppia/oppia-android/wiki/Contributing-to-Oppia-android#onboarding-instructions
- Oppia has served over 2,000,000 users.
- Oppia focuses on effectiveness, and conducts rigorous user testing and RCTs to validate the lessons we offer. Learners using Oppia’s lessons have seen gains of 50+% from pre-test to post-test.
- Oppia's contributors actively help to provide students around the world with basic education. Please see https //medium.com/@ebelubhuhiose/86b97283edf4 and https //medium.com/@ojobusayo99/6e783aaddb74 for examples of our current work.
- Oppia has a community of hundreds of passionate volunteers from across the globe, so our meetings are held online at flexible times.
- Adding functionality in the "contributor dashboard" to ease the process of translating lessons
- Fixing small issues in the lesson player that confuse students who haven't used a phone before
- Finding ways to make the site faster and more performant on low-end devices
See more open positions at Oppia
Something looks off?