Impact, Monitoring & Evaluation Manager
New Energy Nexus
ABOUT NEW ENERGY NEXUS
New Energy Nexus (NEX) is an international not-for-profit organization that supports clean energy entrepreneurs with funds, accelerators and networks. We started in California and have expanded operations into China, India, Southeast Asia, East and West Africa, and Australia. Our mission is to support diverse entrepreneurs to drive innovation and build equity in the global clean energy economy. Our goal is to support 100,000 startups to succeed by 2030 – a decisive decade to surface and support as many climate solutions as possible. Through our global network, we directly boost hundreds of entrepreneurs annually while uplifting thousands more. Since 2004, New Energy Nexus (up until recently known as California Clean Energy Fund) has leveraged $1.5 billion in investment, supported over 900 clean energy startups, and launched industry-leading centers for solution collaboration.
ROLE AND OPPORTUNITY
We are seeking an experienced creative and quantitative professional to lead Impact, Monitoring & Evaluation for New Energy Nexus California (NEX CA) programs funded by government and philanthropy.
The ideal candidate is passionate about clean energy, innovation, and entrepreneurship, and understands multiple social and economic benefits of a just energy transition and the potential for social impact and energy equity outcomes that can result from scaling new clean energy technology. She/he/they are a creative and incisive evaluation strategist who is comfortable designing impact measurement and monitoring & evaluation frameworks for complex, non-linear strategies.
Building on existing tools including templates, an established database, and various reporting formats, we are looking for someone who will play a pivotal role within the NEX CA team to centralize data collection, help bring alignment across new and mature programs, and manage impact evaluations.
A TYPICAL DAY
A day in the life of the Impact, Monitoring & Evaluation Manager could include reviewing a rate-payer benefit framework grant deliverable from an early stage startup and entering key metrics into airtable, researching job creation and cost savings on utility bills from scaling grid-scale storage, meeting with the CA Grants Administration Manager to iterate on the design of a new workflow in the Grants Management System, and working with the Communications Manager to draft a blurb for a press release by extracting a key data insight from your ongoing analysis and framing its impact for a public audience.
WORKING AT NEW ENERGY NEXUS
Working at New Energy Nexus California is an opportunity to make a positive impact in the clean energy industry and be part of a supportive and forward-thinking community. It will offer an innovative and collaborative work environment, fostering networking opportunities and providing diverse roles that allow for personal and professional growth.
This job is located in Berkeley, CA. New Energy Nexus California offers a flexible work environment with this position being based in Oakland/Bay Area, CA and with an expectation to work out of our physical office minimum 2 designated days a week. Unfortunately, relocation assistance is not available for this role.
In addition, candidates for this role should be comfortable with international travel, as the position may involve travel to support New Energy Nexus’s work in the Global South.
- Collect data from awardees, including training, managing templates, conducting quality assurance, and support for reporting to funders.
- Conduct data analysis to connect project outcomes to larger energy transition and economic development trends. Investigate patterns in the data and glean insights that demonstrate environmental, social, and economic impacts. Prepare data visuals, develop content for reporting requirements and communications collateral.
- In collaboration with Program Leads and Communications Manager, author impact reports for individual programs and NEX CA more broadly. Coordinate content generation, design, and review process across Grants Management, Compliance, Communications, and Program teams.
- Iterate upon existing metrics to inform our reporting and strategic communication efforts within and beyond NEX CA.
- Act as lead representative for CA programs on NEX global impact working group to foster organizational alignment. Systems development, management, and best practices
- In close collaboration with the CA Grants Administration Manager, support the design and development of new and existing information databases related to impact and M&E data.
- Track progress on core deliverables, and roll information up and down for different stakeholders. Streamline data collection and enable export of quality controlled information.
- Act as the “gatekeeper” of all data being utilized for fundraising and storytelling efforts. Upholds internal controls with attention to accuracy for all qualitative and quantitative data being used in external or internal communications.
Monitoring & Evaluation Alignment
- Develop and ensure alignment on shared indicators and metrics used across different programs. Oversee collaborative design and use of quantitative and qualitative grant outcomes and indicators to track progress that demonstrate results and areas of growth.
- Manage evaluation and learning projects, including managing consultants.
- Provide measurement and evaluation strategy & leadership for our continuous work on energy equity and social impact: support deepening incorporation of diversity, equity and inclusion racial, social and environmental justice approaches and metrics into NEX CA’s work.
- Provide subject matter expertise for proposals.
- Respond to ad hoc requests for reports, memos, slide decks and other materials to communicate with a variety of stakeholders including Fundraising, Head of Partnerships, Events and Brand, NEX Board of Directors, NEX fundraising efforts, funders, and government donors.