Grants Administration Manager
New Energy Nexus
ABOUT NEW ENERGY NEXUS
New Energy Nexus (NEX) is an international not-for-profit organization that supports clean energy entrepreneurs with funds, accelerators and networks. We started in California and have expanded operations into China, India, Southeast Asia, East and West Africa, and Australia. Our mission is to support diverse entrepreneurs to drive innovation and build equity in the global clean energy economy. Our goal is to support 100,000 startups to succeed by 2030 – a decisive decade to surface and support as many climate solutions as possible. Through our global network, we directly boost hundreds of entrepreneurs annually while uplifting thousands more. Since 2004, New Energy Nexus (up until recently known as California Clean Energy Fund) has leveraged $1.5 billion in investment, supported over 900 clean energy startups, and launched industry-leading centers for solution collaboration.
ABOUT THE ROLE & OPPORTUNITY
New Energy Nexus California (NEX CA) is seeking a candidate who will bring a solid background in Grants Administration Management, specifically in configuring grants management platforms such as SmartSimple, to manage the full life cycle of grant-making programs, from application to contracting, invoicing, reporting, and final project close-out. This is a position that requires technical and project management skills related to coding and system configuration in order to update and improve NEX CA’s existing grant management database hosted on SmartSimple. This role will be part of a Grants Management Team along with other Grants Management and Compliance staff. The successful candidate will have a "roll-up-the-sleeves" attitude, who is inherently hands-on and ready to take the next step forward in their career, and help position us for growth in order to scale our existing and new programs.
A TYPICAL DAY
A day in the life of the Grants Administration Manager could include liaising with SmartSimple Technical Support to configure new instances on the grants management database or troubleshoot user errors, developing guides and updating user manuals to train applicants, awardees, or other teammates interfacing with the platform, and conducting quality checks on invoicing and contracting packages with regards completeness and accuracy of data pulled from SmartSimple. There will also be opportunities to attend program events,visit technology development, testing or demonstration sites of awardees and clean energy entrepreneurs.
WORKING AT NEW ENERGY NEXUS
Working at New Energy Nexus California is an opportunity to make a positive impact in the clean energy industry and be part of a supportive and forward-thinking community. It will offer an innovative and collaborative work environment, fostering networking opportunities and providing diverse roles that allow for personal and professional growth.
This job is located in Berkeley, CA. New Energy Nexus California offers a flexible work environment with this position being based in Oakland/Bay Area, CA and with an expectation to work out of our physical office minimum 2 designated days a week. Unfortunately, relocation assistance is not available for this role.
Grants Management Systems
Oversee development and maintenance of grants management databases, specifically, the cloud-based SmartSimple platform to ensure optimal performance for all end-users (internal and external):
- Manage user accounts, permissions, access rights, system maintenance, and configuration.
- Full grant-cycle management & tracking, including applications, invoicing, and progress reports.
- Ensure data quality and manage data retrieval, coding and reporting, particularly with respect to compliance, monitoring and evaluation.
- Optimize and streamline the user experience, including developing user guidance, streamlining navigation, offering technical support, and providing troubleshooting assistance for internal and external system users.
- Capacity building and training related to use of grants management database for both internal staff and external users
- Manage system development in order to meet program needs such as Monitoring & Evaluation, impact measurement and reporting, invoicing and contracting workflows.
- Serve as the primary liaison with SmartSimple technical support as needed.
Other responsibilities related to grants management systems include:
- Coordinate with Programs, Finance and Grants Management Teams to develop and improve process workflows related to grants administration
- Maintain and update filing systems related to contracts and invoices, ensuring that documentation is well organized and easily accessible to relevant stakeholders across the various cloud-based filing systems (Dropbox, Google Drive, and SmartSimple)
- Stay abreast of industry developments in grants management systems in order to recommend improvements to existing systems and processes or transition to new systems so that NEX CA is well positioned to support new and developing programs
Grants Administration and Compliance
- Under the direction of the Director of Program Finance and Compliance, monitor status of program budget spending and work with Program Leads to ensure appropriate spend rate for awardees and contractors
- Extract, analyze, and organize grants data from grants management systems into coherent and accurate reports that meet reporting requirements of funders
- Provide support with the grant payment process for awarded grants, including informing and communicating with grantees about contract and payment procedures
- Ensure applicant and awardee status is tracked, facilitate awardee status checks with Program Leads and consult on actions to take with poor performance
- Flag potential conflicts of interest and other compliance issues, iterate on and maintain processes for compliance and best practices
- In collaboration with Program Leads, support awardees with budget development, contract creation, and execution, serving as subject matter expert on awardee budgets for government grants and overseeing budget amendments
- Ensure quality control and compliance for invoice packages and contracts
- Maintain tracking spreadsheets, streamlining files and processes
- Support grant and program audits as required