Director of People Operations
New Energy Nexus
ABOUT NEW ENERGY NEXUS
New Energy Nexus (NEX) is an international not-for-profit organization that supports clean energy entrepreneurs with funds, accelerators and networks. We started in California and have expanded operations into China, India, Southeast Asia, East and West Africa, and Australia. Our mission is to support diverse entrepreneurs to drive innovation and build equity in the global clean energy economy. Our goal is to support 100,000 startups to succeed by 2030 – a decisive decade to surface and support as many climate solutions as possible. Through our global network, we directly boost hundreds of entrepreneurs annually while uplifting thousands more. Since 2004, New Energy Nexus (up until recently known as California Clean Energy Fund) has leveraged $1.5 billion in investment, supported over 900 clean energy startups, and launched industry-leading centers for solution collaboration.
ABOUT THE ROLE & OPPORTUNITY
New Energy Nexus California is looking for a Director of People and Business Operations who will be responsible for developing and executing strategies to attract, retain, and support a diverse and highly skilled workforce, in alignment with the mission and values of New Energy Nexus. This new role will report to the Managing Director and will play a pivotal part in fostering a positive organizational culture, enhancing employee engagement, ensuring compliance with employment laws and regulations, and overseeing key aspects of business operations, including budgeting, office management, and vendor relations.
A TYPICAL DAY
Your day as Director of People and Business Operations at New Energy Nexus California will be dynamic and filled with a variety of responsibilities. You may find yourself collaborating with other leaders across New Energy Nexus to understand their talent needs, participating in recruitment and interviewing processes, developing DEI initiatives, conducting performance reviews, and working on improving HR systems and policies. In addition, you will oversee critical aspects of business operations, such as budgeting, office management, and vendor relations, ensuring that the organization runs smoothly and efficiently. You will also be available to address employee concerns and promote a positive workplace culture. Your role is pivotal in shaping the organization's workforce and culture, as well as supporting its operational excellence to align with New Energy Nexus’s mission and values.
WORKING AT NEW ENERGY NEXUS
Working at New Energy Nexus California is an opportunity to make a positive impact in the clean energy industry and be part of a supportive and forward-thinking community. It will offer an innovative and collaborative work environment, fostering networking opportunities and providing diverse roles that allow for personal and professional growth.
This job is located in Oakland, CA. New Energy Nexus California offers a flexible work environment with this position being based in Oakland/Bay Area, CA and with an expectation to work out of our physical office minimum 2 designated days a week. Unfortunately, relocation assistance is not available for this role.
Talent Acquisition and Retention:
- Devise strategies for diverse, skilled workforce attraction and retention.
- Partner with managers for talent identification and recruitment.
- Establish effective onboarding processes.
- Introduce initiatives for employee growth and development.
- Support professional development and career progression.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI):
- Lead DEI efforts, implementing initiatives for an inclusive workplace.
- Oversee goal setting and performance reviews.
- Collaborate with managers to enhance employee performance.
HR Systems and Policies:
- Develop and manage HR systems and policies.
- Ensure compliance with laws and regulations.
Employee Relations and Workplace Culture:
- Manage employee relations and retention.
- Cultivate a positive workplace culture and address concerns.
- Lead and manage organizational change.
- Ensure employee readiness and engagement during transitions.
- Oversee the annual budget-setting process with the Director of Program Finance and Compliance.
- Manage office space, lease, and related responsibilities.
- Oversee procurement and vendor management for operational needs.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE FOR THE ROLE
- Strong dedication to New Energy Nexus's mission, showcasing a profound understanding and alignment with organizational goals
- 10 years of leadership in nonprofit HR, showcasing dedication and expertise
- Proven track record in building and nurturing teams, particularly handling moments of scale and expansion
- Strategic thinker, aligning HR initiatives with the organization's mission and long-term goals
- Expert in managing organizational change, especially during periods of growth or transition
- Proficient in employee relations, adept at addressing concerns and cultivating a positive workplace culture
- Comprehensive experience across the employee lifecycle, from recruitment to continuous growth and development
- Strong commitment to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion, with a history of implementing effective initiatives
- Expertise in developing, implementing, and managing HR and people-related systems and policies
- Tech-savvy, capable of navigating a variety of HR tools and software for optimal efficiency
- Effective leadership and management skills, providing guidance and fostering a collaborative, high-performing team
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION
Competitive compensation of $125 - $140K annually plus generous benefits including, medical, dental, vision, unlimited PTO, paid holidays and 401(K)
TO APPLY, TIMELINE, AND PROCESS
- Submit your resume, cover letter and responses to our application questions.
- Click the “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” button below to begin your application.
- Application deadline: Priority deadline is December 15th, 2023 and applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until filled.
- Target start date: March 2024
- Interview process: Qualified applicants will participate in a series of interviews via Zoom. There will be 2-3 rounds of interviews.
- Accommodation: If you require accommodations during the interview process, please contact us with your request.
New Energy Nexus is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, citizenship status, disability status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression of an otherwise qualified individual, or membership in any other class protected by applicable law. New Energy Nexus hires and promotes individuals on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled. We strongly encourage diverse applicants to apply.