Director of Program Finance and Compliance
New Energy Nexus
ABOUT NEW ENERGY NEXUS
New Energy Nexus (NEX) is an international not-for-profit organization that supports clean energy entrepreneurs with funds, accelerators and networks. We started in California and have expanded operations into China, India, Southeast Asia, East and West Africa, and Australia. Our mission is to support diverse entrepreneurs to drive innovation and build equity in the global clean energy economy. Our goal is to support 100,000 startups to succeed by 2030 – a decisive decade to surface and support as many climate solutions as possible. Through our global network, we directly boost hundreds of entrepreneurs annually while uplifting thousands more. Since 2004, New Energy Nexus (up until recently known as California Clean Energy Fund) has leveraged $1.5 billion in investment, supported over 900 clean energy startups, and launched industry-leading centers for solution collaboration.
ABOUT THE ROLE & OPPORTUNITY
New Energy Nexus California is seeking a candidate who will bring a solid background in Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and financial forecasting. The Director of Program Finance and Compliance will be responsible for all daily general accounting-related duties, including a broad range of transactional, reconciliation, and other accounting activities. The successful candidate will have a "roll-up-the-sleeves" attitude, who is inherently hands-on and ready to take the next step forward in their career, and help us plan and strategize for growth in order to scale New Energy Nexus California.
The Director of Program Finance and Compliance will support New Energy Nexus California as we prepare for continued growth and expansion. The person in this role should bring a high level of grit and curiosity and will work in collaboration with Finance & Operations (FiOps) and CA leadership teams, to ensure that New Energy Nexus California is operating efficiently, effectively and within budget. You will be tasked with providing strategic direction on budgeting, forecasting and financial planning. If you have a passion for clean energy, entrepreneurship, enjoy process design, operational excellence and enabling organizations and people to succeed, this position may be for you!
A TYPICAL DAY
The Director of Program Finance and Compliance at New Energy Nexus California plays a critical role in ensuring financial sustainability, transparency, and adherence to legal and ethical standards, making their daily responsibilities essential to the organization's success. A typical day for the Director of Program Finance and Compliance involves managing the organization's financial resources efficiently. They will often handle a wide range of responsibilities, including maintaining financial records, processing transactions, preparing budgets, and ensuring compliance with relevant regulations. Additionally, they will be responsible for grant management, people management, and donor relations. The Director of Program Finance and Compliance will work closely with a small team and even handle many of these tasks independently, requiring adaptability and a hands-on approach to financial management and compliance.
WORKING AT NEW ENERGY NEXUS
Working at New Energy Nexus California is an opportunity to make a positive impact in the clean energy industry and be part of a supportive and forward-thinking community. It will offer an innovative and collaborative work environment, fostering networking opportunities and providing diverse roles that allow for personal and professional growth.
This job is located in Oakland, CA. New Energy Nexus California offers a flexible work environment with this position being based in Oakland/Bay Area, CA and with an expectation to work out of our physical office minimum 2 designated days a week. Unfortunately, relocation assistance is not available for this role.
Budgeting & Reporting
- Prepare and monitor budgets and financial forecasts, analyze deficiencies, and report variances to CA leadership.
- Ability to build and maintain resource plans (budgets) for the California-based team that is delivering on multiple projects with shared resource allocations.
- Working knowledge of restricted grant budget management and reporting.
- Build integrated budgeting and reporting workflows that satisfy multiple reporting objectives (e.g. Budgets to Actual for the team as a whole, for a program etc.) from a given data architecture and source data set.
- Provide financial analysis and modeling to support strategic and operational decision-making, this includes analyzing and reporting on operational metrics to identify trends and opportunities for improvement.
- Ability to routinely and consistently create and collate government invoicing packages subject to specific templates and procedures.
- Project budgeting expert on the team, providing guidance, training, tools, and templates to the CA team for Accounting-related processes including, but not limited to, independent contractor budgetary development and contract execution.
Contracts Analysis & Management
- Develop, implement, and monitor controls and procedures to manage operational expenses.
- Prepare and publish timely monthly financial statements to CA leadership and executive team as required.
- Ability to analyze complex fact patterns and distill them into simple and understandable concepts for internal and external stakeholder groups
- Maintain capitalized tracking ledger.
- Ability to analyze and solve complex problems with multi-dimensional constraints that require both creativity and attention to detail.
- Ability and patience to read and comprehend complex contracts and regulations and design smart (resource-efficient/effective) workflows and controls that are additional to or separate from standard organizational processes.
- Working knowledge of Federal Cost Principles (2 CFR 200) and Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR).
- Work with external auditors and provide needed documentation and support for the annual audit.
- Responsible for compliance with all contracted terms and embedded regulations, and preparation of reports, audit trail documentation and end-to-end management of program audits (by funders, government agencies etc).
- Act as a liaison between New Energy Nexus’ FiOps team and CA staff.
- Additional financial planning and accounting responsibilities as needed.
- Oversee, lead, and manage a grants management and compliance team, fostering a collaborative and motivated team environment.
- Provide mentorship, guidance, and professional development opportunities to team members.
- Foster a culture of accountability, transparency, and ethical financial practices.
- Conduct 1:1 and team check-ins and oversee performance reviews for the team
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE FOR THE ROLE
- Strong dedication to New Energy Nexus's mission, showcasing a profound understanding and alignment with organizational goals
- 7-10+ years of experience in financial accounting or controller management positions
- A subject matter expert in all aspects of finance and compliance
- Familiarity with cost allocation methodologies
- Knowledge of GAAP and accounting concepts
- Have a positive attitude, strong communication skills, and an affinity for numbers.
- High level of attention to detail, with the ability to analyze and solve problems quickly and creatively with attention to detail
- Remain flexible in a constantly changing environment and work independently with strong planning and prioritization skills, able to succeed in a regularly expanding environment
- Ability to navigate ambiguity and find solutions for concurrent conflicting challenges
- Significant track record of progressively responsible experience in budgeting and forecasting
- Proven professional experience as an upper-level Accountant, experience working at a medium to large-sized not-for-profit organization a plus
- Working knowledge of GAAP accounting principles and procedures
- Experience with governmental contracts, invoicing/reimbursement structures, and restrictions
- Prior experience with Single Audits and/or other program audits is a plus
- Expert in Excel and with prior experience creating financial statements
- Excellent written and verbal skills to create internal and external communication pieces ranging from detailed audit trails to executive summaries
- Ability to think through data structures and data integrations of mainstream SaaS solutions with manual interfaces
- Experience in developing and implementing policies and procedures
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration
WE HOPE YOU BRING ONE OR MORE OF THESE BONUS SKILLS
- Advanced degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related discipline
- Experience working in IT and cybersecurity
- Drafting budgets for proposal development
- Experience in reporting on match share requirements on grants
- Experience in a global business environment
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION
Competitive compensation of $130 - $155K annually plus generous benefits including, medical, dental, vision, unlimited PTO, paid holidays and 401(K)
TO APPLY, TIMELINE, AND PROCESS
- Submit your resume, cover letter and responses to our application questions.
- Click the “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” button below to begin your application.
- Application deadline: Priority deadline is December 15th, 2023 and applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until filled.
- Target start date: March 2024
- Interview process: Qualified applicants will participate in a series of interviews via Zoom. There will be 2-3 rounds of interviews.
- Accommodation: If you require accommodations during the interview process, please contact us with your request.
New Energy Nexus is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, citizenship status, disability status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression of an otherwise qualified individual, or membership in any other class protected by applicable law. New Energy Nexus hires and promotes individuals on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled. We strongly encourage diverse applicants to apply.