Head of Partnerships, Events & Brand
New Energy Nexus
ABOUT NEW ENERGY NEXUS
New Energy Nexus (NEX) is an international not-for-profit organization that supports clean energy entrepreneurs with funds, accelerators and networks. We started in California and have expanded operations into China, India, Southeast Asia, East and West Africa, and Australia. Our mission is to support diverse entrepreneurs to drive innovation and build equity in the global clean energy economy. Our goal is to support 100,000 startups to succeed by 2030 – a decisive decade to surface and support as many climate solutions as possible. Through our global network, we directly boost hundreds of entrepreneurs annually while uplifting thousands more. Since 2004, New Energy Nexus (up until recently known as California Clean Energy Fund) has leveraged $1.5 billion in investment, supported over 900 clean energy startups, and launched industry-leading centers for solution collaboration.
ABOUT THE ROLE & OPPORTUNITY
New Energy Nexus California is launching a new role, Head of Strategy and Partnerships, which is a key leadership position entrusted with steering the organization's strategic initiatives in communications, marketing, and partnerships. This dynamic role requires a skilled team leader and storyteller capable of conveying compelling narratives about how our work is supporting a just and equitable clean energy transition.
The Head of Strategy and Partnerships will play a pivotal role in growing and managing relationships with diverse innovation ecosystem partners, collaborating closely with the Managing Director to align strategies with our evolving vision. This position will provide management, mentorship, and oversight to our communications, impact reporting, and events/ partnerships teams, ensuring a cohesive and impactful approach to advancing the organization's mission.
A TYPICAL DAY
A typical day for the Head of Strategy and Partnerships at New Energy Nexus California involves engaging with potential mission-aligned partners, maintaining existing and new relationships, and developing partnership strategies in alignment with New Energy Nexus's mission. Simultaneously, you will work together with the Head of Programs to pursue program funding through various channels, cultivate relationships for new program development, and explore strategic partnerships. Team leadership is a vital part of their role, as they inspire and mentor teams, foster collaboration, and adapt strategies to evolving market conditions and trends. This dynamic role requires effective time management and leadership to advance New Energy Nexus's mission.
WORKING AT NEW ENERGY NEXUS
Working at New Energy Nexus California is an opportunity to make a positive impact in the clean energy industry and be part of a supportive and forward-thinking community. It will offer an innovative and collaborative work environment, fostering networking opportunities and providing diverse roles that allow for personal and professional growth.
This job is located in Oakland, CA. New Energy Nexus California offers a flexible work environment with this position being based in Oakland/Bay Area, CA and with an expectation to work out of our physical office minimum 2 designated days a week. Unfortunately, relocation assistance is not available for this role.
In addition, candidates for this role should be comfortable with international travel, as the position may involve travel to support New Energy Nexus’s work in the Global South.
- Develop and execute a comprehensive communication strategy to convey a compelling narrative about our program portfolio as a whole and in a way that resonates with diverse stakeholders, funders, and the broader clean energy community.
- Ensure that New Energy Nexus's communication strategy reflects industry trends, best practices, and new tools in marketing and sustainability.
- Lead three teams in maintaining consistent messaging and actively using various digital media platforms to enhance visibility and meaningful engagement.
- Oversee the creation and curation of content for digital media, such as social media, websites, and newsletters, to effectively communicate with non-profit partners and the broader audience in the clean energy sector.
- Participate in various public speaking events and represent NEX in various forums to convey the organization's vision and initiatives.
- Mobilize stakeholder support through effective communication and engagement strategies.
- Develop and implement a partnership strategy that both supports diverse entrepreneurs and innovators and advances the clean energy mission on a broader scale. This includes exploring innovative ways to work together, share resources, and achieve common goals.
- Facilitate regular dialogues with a broad set of stakeholders, gaining insights into their needs and ensuring alignment with New Energy Nexus's objectives.
- Lead the charge in cultivating, nurturing, and managing relationships with clean energy entrepreneurs, partners, and industry leaders to foster collaboration and support for the organization's mission.
- Leverage New Energy Nexus's established network to identify potential collaborations and secure partnerships that align with the organization's mission and vision.
- Utilize New Energy Nexus's reputation and experience as a trusted entity in the clean energy sector to become the primary point of contact for partners.
Program Engagement and Funding
- Work with the Head of Programs to successfully secure program funding through diverse channels, and strategic partnerships.
- Cultivate relationships with strategic partners and potential funders to support new program development and scaling of existing programs. to
- Leverage strategic partnerships with organizations, businesses, and government agencies to obtain funding.
- Oversee the sustainability and growth of the program by diversifying funding sources.
- Inspire, guide, and mentor the communications, events, and partnerships teams.
- Foster a culture of collaboration and innovation, to create a cohesive team working to support diverse clean energy entrepreneurs and our mission to build a more inclusive innovation ecosystem
- Implement and lead change initiatives as necessary, adapting the organization's strategies to stay agile and responsive to emerging market conditions, industry trends, and the evolving needs of mission-aligned partners.
Media Engagement and Content Quality Oversight
- Engage effectively with media outlets and conduct public speaking engagements that raise awareness of the organization's mission and initiatives.
- Pitch to various audiences and foster relationships with media contacts, generating increased media coverage and positive exposure.
- Oversee the content creation process to deliver a unified and impactful message across all digital platforms, maintaining high standards for content quality and alignment with the organization's mission.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE FOR THE ROLE
- Strong dedication to New Energy Nexus's mission, showcasing a profound understanding and alignment with organizational goals
- 8 to 10 years in relevant communications and/or marketing field, and a minimum of 5 years leading organizational-wide communication and/or marketing
- Sustainability or climate tech experience is preferable but not essential
- High level of experience with strategic communications and media relations
- Demonstrated ability to formulate and communicate a clear strategic vision, set strategic goals, and develop actionable plans to achieve them
- Expertise in leading and facilitating organizational change initiatives, with a focus on adapting to evolving market conditions and industry trends
- Experience securing program funding through diverse channels, and strategic partnerships
- Analytical skills to gather and interpret data, enabling data-driven decision-making and continuous improvement of strategies and engagement efforts
- Proven experience in managing cross-functional teams, fostering a culture of collaboration, and motivating individuals to work together toward common strategic objectives
- Excellent public speaking and writing skills (press releases, public comment, etc.,)
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION
Competitive compensation of $150 - $175K annually plus generous benefits including, medical, dental, vision, unlimited PTO, paid holidays and 401(K)
TO APPLY, TIMELINE, AND PROCESS
- Submit your resume, cover letter and responses to our application questions.
- Click the “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” button below to begin your application.
- Application deadline: Priority deadline is December 15th, 2023 and applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until filled.
- Target start date: March 2024
- Interview process: Qualified applicants will participate in a series of interviews via Zoom. There will be 2-3 rounds of interviews.
- Accommodation: If you require accommodations during the interview process, please contact us with your request.
New Energy Nexus is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, citizenship status, disability status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression of an otherwise qualified individual, or membership in any other class protected by applicable law. New Energy Nexus hires and promotes individuals on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled. We strongly encourage diverse applicants to apply.