Kenya Country Manager
Kenya Country Manager
Join Our Team
Maisha Meds is an organization dedicated to improving health care in Africa. We began full-time operations in 2017 and over the past few years has grown to support over 7 million patient encounters at ~2000 pharmacies and drug shops annually across Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Nigeria, and Zambia.
What does Maisha Meds do?
- A Reimbursement programme - We reward pharmacies and clinics when they provide top-notch care at prices that patients can afford. They can even use the app to restock medications that meet high-quality standards.
- An All-in-One App for Businesses. Our app can scan barcodes, alert pharmacies when items are expiring or going out of stock, and make sales to patients directly in the app. Plus, business owners gain access to a real-time dashboard of their inventory and earnings
- A wealth of data. We monitor important market and health trends in malaria, family planning, and HIV to make sure people get the right drugs at the right price.This is data that never before existed, and we take its power and privacy very seriously.
Our work is funded by USAID Development Innovation Ventures, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation, Grand Challenges Canada, Pfizer, and others, and we are starting to build partnerships with multilateral global health funders, pharmaceutical companies, and national health insurance funds to have them pay us on a contract basis for health outcomes.
About the role
Maisha Meds is looking for an experienced Country Manager to join our team and lead the Kenyan country team. Our current Country Director is moving internally to the position Government Relation & Policy Advisor. The Country Manager will responsible for acquisition and retention of pharmacies using the Maisha Meds platform in Kenya. The Country Manager will also be spearheading efforts for adoption of the reimbursement programmes across our Kenyan market. We’re currently at 900 facilities in Kenya with an ambitious vision for growth in the next few years.
The Country Manager will manage a 30+ person team including managers, sales agents and customer experience associates. The team is spread across Nairobi, Kisumu and Mombasa. The ideal candidate will have had experience as an outstanding people leader with a proven track record of leading both the sales and customer experience strategy and operations at country level.
This role is based in Nairobi or Kisumu. You will report directly to the COO for this role, and provide indirect supervision of various team members based on the active portfolio.
- Owning the Growth & Sales strategy
- You’ll be responsible for planning & strategy, you’ll own the go-to-market strategy, you’ll plan who’s doing what, projected P&L and what your market and team will achieve
- Identify trends, risks and improvement opportunities on a local level that may impact the business
- Identifying new regions in Kenya for expansion
- Managing your sales team – you’ll be leading the Sales Manager and their consultants - coaching, developing and driving them to meet the country goals. Lead the team to smash country sales targets
- Spearhead the adoption of reimbursement programmes across the Kenyan market and implementing strategies to increase usage and engagement by our facilities.
- Partnership management – identifying potential local partners that could unlock growth and defining deals with them.
- Collaborating with Growth team to run experiments to unlock big levers of growth
- Key metrics: # new facilities, #active partnerships, # acquired per channel (sales from door to door, referral, etc), MoM growth , # patients served via reimbursement programmes % facilities that are highly engaged with our reimbursement programme
- Defining, leading and operationalising the customer experience strategy across Kenya.
- Defining an effective and efficient outbound and inbound customer experience strategy – how should we engage our customers and ensure they continue to use our products and programmes?
- Developing a deep understanding of who our ideal customers are and what behaviours indicate loyalty. Designing operational interventions to encourage these behaviors.
- Actively tackling facility churn
- Leading team of field CX associates who work tirelessly to support Maisha Meds customers, troubleshooting their issues, educating them how to use our products and programmes more effectively
- Key metrics: # active facilities on platform # active facilities on our reimbursement programme # facilities churning, compliance rate with the reimbursement programme
- People management of the Kenyan Country team
- Coaching & Training your team, you’ll be mentoring and improving them every day, performance managing them and taking them to new levels and developing their careers at Maisha Meds
- Recruiting for and building out your team.
- Key metrics: eNPS score, employee turnover
- Collaborating with other departments
- Sharing knowledge and learnings with other Country Managers
- Work closely and give market feedback to the Product team and how we should develop - you’ll be seeing and hearing what businesses need, so you’ll be an essential voice to our product teams
- Sharing in depth knowledge of the Kenyan market with the BD/ Strategy team.
- Working closely with the Director of People Ops to roll out people related initiatives across the team in Kenya
- You have 7+ years of experience in an operations management or general management role, bonus points for experience in the health sector or a fast growth tech up.
- Strong experience in owning the customer experience strategy for a large portfolio of customers, ideally in a B2B context.
- An proven track record of leading a team to hit sales targets
- Leadership experience, drive, and willingness to mentor others on the team; experience in remote management a plus
- Adaptability to a fast-paced working environment
- Strong problem solving and interpersonal skills
- Growth mindset and enthusiasm for learning, feedback and continuous improvement
- Humility and personal stability. We are looking for passionate professionals that combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service
- Ability to roll up one’s sleeves and directly move projects forward
- Kenyan country national
- You have a Bachelor's Degree in Business, Health, Economics, Finance
Why you should join us:
- On a roll: Doubling year over year with new funding partnerships soon to be announced and recent expansion into Uganda, Nigeria, and Tanzania
- Great team: Founded, managed, and backed by successful veterans of Stanford School of Medicine, Google, mPharma, I&M bank. We have technologists, clinicians, and economists working side by side to solve difficult problems.
- Great funders: We’re backed by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, USAID Development Innovation Ventures, CIFF, WHO FIND, and Pfizer to pay for healthcare on behalf of patients, with others to be announced soon.
- Huge market: Disrupting a massive, growing $50+ billion market for healthcare payments for low-income patients, with a focus on paying for health outcomes to ensure patients get better.
- Great customers: Create incentives that ensure our nurses, pharmacists, and clinicians provide excellent care and pay them when this happens.
- Impact: A fun and exciting start-up culture that empowers its people to make a huge impact.
Start date is Sept 2023 and compensation is commensurate with experience.