Director/Lead, SRH Business Development & Partnerships
About Maisha Meds
Maisha Meds is an organization dedicated to improving health care in Africa. We began full-time operations in 2017 and over the past few years has grown to support over 8 million patient encounters annually at ~2000 pharmacies and drug shops annually across Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Nigeria, and Zambia. We are building the financial and technology infrastructure to enable global health funders to pay for health outcomes at the last mile, with an initial focus on malaria case management. Recent results from two randomized controlled trials with UC Berkeley showed that our programs lead to a statistically significant 350% increase in appropriate and high quality malaria care and a 450% increase in adoption of longer-acting contraceptives. Based on these results, we have begun securing large-scale funding awards to support scale-up of this technology to reach over 10,000 health facilities and 20 million patients, and to directly pay for health outcomes for 2 million patients annually by 2026. In addition, we are actively building programs to support HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis and treatment, malnutrition support, and affordable eyeglasses.
Our work is funded by USAID Development Innovation Ventures, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation, Grand Challenges Canada, Pfizer, and others, and we are starting to build partnerships with multilateral global health funders, pharmaceutical companies, and national health insurance funds to have them pay us on a contract basis for health outcomes. We use data from our point of sale software to design programs that leverage financial incentives to improve uptake of high impact health products. And we measure our success by our ability to improve the quality and affordability of healthcare diagnosis, treatment, and prevention for low-income patients across Africa.
About the Role
We are seeking a Director, Sexual & Reproductive Health Partnerships, to join our team. The Director will drive all of Maisha Meds’ activities in our SRH portfolio, with a focus on family planning and HIV prevention\. This will include ownership from origination through to program execution, and the successful candidate will be responsible for driving our strategy in the sector. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 5-8 years of experience working in a fast-paced private sector or social enterprise environment, ideally with experience in a consulting or strategic finance context, with a proven track record of managing senior stakeholder relationships, providing strategic advice, and with experience of financing mechanisms in a global health context. The role will report directly to the Chief Strategy Officer, although will work closely with other teams within the organization to oversee the SRH portfolio of work and ensure strategic alignment with the broader activities of Maisha Meds. This role will sit within the Strategy & Business Development team, and sourcing funding opportunities for the SRH portfolio will be a key dimension of the role.
Responsibilities will include:
Business Development / Funder engagement
- Cultivate and managing funder relationships across the SRH sector in order to identify new business opportunities for Maisha Meds
- Develop the ideas for new activities, and leading on the production of high-quality proposals and supporting materials to funders, which may include document or slide deck formats as well as detailed budgets to support proposal submissions
- Lead funder engagement activities throughout the execution of grants/funding commitments, including oversight for all relevant donor reporting
Program Design and Oversight
- Conduct in-depth research and analysis on SRH healthcare market dynamics, competitive landscape and operational challenges to identify strategic opportunities and risks, and designing potential interventions or solutions to meet these challenges.
- Lead financial analysis and modeling to support business case development and investment decisions with a focus on results-based financing
- Oversee and coordinate SRH grant activities, including developing clear work plans, and coordinating with Tech, Product and Operations teams to ensure the timely delivery of program commitments.
Strategic & Research Partnerships
- Build external relationships with other relevant stakeholders in the sector to grow our profile and network of opportunities, including in the government and policy spheres.
- Lead on developing and managing research partnerships that aim to solve questions around our work that can help to unlock further scale.
- Work with the communications lead to contribute content on SRH activities to raise the profile of Maisha Meds in this sector.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Economics, Finance, or a related field.
- Minimum 5-8 years of experience in a business development, consulting, or strategy role focused on healthcare delivery and/or innovative finance.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with a demonstrated ability to rapidly assimilate data and develop insights and recommendations to be used in both short-term decision-making and strategic planning.
- Demonstrated experience managing senior stakeholder relationships across funders, governments and other partners.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with the ability to effectively communicate complex information to a variety of stakeholders, both internal and external.
- Advanced proficiency in Excel, PowerPoint, and other analytical tools
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with cross-functional teams.
- Strong critical thinking skills and ability to problem-solve independently.
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Senior experience in SRH program design desired.
Why You Should Join Us
- On a roll: Doubling year over year with new funding partnerships soon to be announced and recent expansion into Uganda, Nigeria, and Tanzania
- Great team: Founded, managed, and backed by successful veterans of Stanford School of Medicine, Google, mPharma, I&M bank. We have technologists, clinicians, and economists working side by side to solve difficult problems.
- Great funders: We’re backed by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, USAID Development Innovation Ventures, CIFF, WHO FIND, and Pfizer to pay for healthcare on behalf of patients, with others to be announced soon.
- Huge market: Disrupting a massive, growing $50+ billion market for healthcare payments for low-income patients, with a focus on paying for health outcomes to ensure patients get better.
- Great customers: Create incentives that ensure our nurses, pharmacists, and clinicians provide excellent care and pay them when this happens.
- Impact: A fun and exciting start-up culture that empowers its people to make a huge impact.