Engineering Manager (comp listed)
Maisha Meds is seeking an engineering manager to manage our wonderful engineers to build technology to improve healthcare in Africa.
Join Our Team
Maisha Meds is an organisation dedicated to improving health care in Africa. We began full-time operations in 2017 and over the past few years has grown to support over 4 million patient encounters at over 1,200 pharmacies and drug shops annually across Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Nigeria, and Zambia. We are building the financial and technology infrastructure to enable global health funders to pay for health outcomes at the last mile, with an initial focus on malaria case management. Recent results from a randomised controlled trial with UC Berkeley showed that our programs lead to a statistically significant 350% increase in appropriate and high quality malaria care. Based on these results, we are planning to scale the technology to reach over 10,000 health facilities and 20 million patients, and to directly pay for health outcomes for 1 million patients annually by 2024. In addition, we are actively building programs to support injectable contraceptives, HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis, measles and HPV vaccines, malnutrition support, and safe water interventions.
Our work is funded by USAID Development Innovation Ventures, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation, Grand Challenges Canada, Pfizer, and others, and we are starting to build partnerships with multilateral global health funders, pharmaceutical companies, and national health insurance funds to have them pay us on a contract basis for health outcomes. We use data from our point of sale software to design programs that leverage financial incentives to improve uptake of high impact health products. And we measure our success by our ability to improve the quality and affordability of healthcare diagnosis, treatment, and prevention for low-income patients across Africa.
About the Role
Maisha Meds builds a point-of-sale Android app for pharmacies to track their sales and manage their inventory. On top of the Android app, we have a layer of features to help us administer programs so that patients visiting pharmacies can receive subsidized medication. We also built a suite of back office tools to help our operational staff manage the subsidy programs.
This role is for an individual to manage a remote team of engineers across North America, Europe, and Africa working on projects related to the subsidy programs. Our organisation is based in Kenya and we would love to have you join us onsite a couple of times a year.
As an engineering manager at Maisha Meds, you will be responsible for:
People and Team
- Manage a remote team of 2-6 creative engineers spanning across several projects
- Foster a welcoming friendly and culture
- Grow and mentor engineers and help them pursue their career interests
- Provide good feedback for performance management and coaching
- Recruiting and hiring for your team when necessary
- Provide hands-on technical leadership (architecture and design, code reviews, and incident management) to your reports
- Independently contribute to projects 10% of your time to gain a deep technical understand of the infrastructure end-to-end
- Preferred prior experience with Ruby on Rails or Android Kotlin
Product and Project Management
- While we have product managers at Maisha Meds, at times, you’ll need to engage with stakeholders directly and product manage yourself
- Translate ambiguous stakeholder desires into concrete requirements and action plans
- Work across teams and both internal and external stakeholders to execute on projects
- Understand customers and users and be able to provide product direction
- Ruby on Rails
- Android Kotlin
Nice to Haves:
- You have worked at a growing start-up
- You have experience in both B2B and B2C environments
- You have prior experience in healthcare and/or Africa
Why You Should Join Us
- On a roll: Doubling year over year with new funding partnerships soon to be announced and recent expansion into Uganda, Nigeria, and Tanzania
- Great team: Founded, managed and backed by successful veterans of Stanford School of Medicine, Google, Lions Head Investment Bank, I&M Bank. We have technologists, clinicians, and economists working side by side to solve difficult problems.
- Great funders: We’re backed by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, USAID Development Innovation Ventures, CIFF, WHO FIND, and Pfizer to pay for healthcare on behalf of patients, with others to be announced soon.
- Huge market: Disrupting a massive, growing $50+ billion market for healthcare payments for low-income patients, with a focus on paying for health outcomes to ensure patients get better.
- Great customers: Create incentives that ensure our nurses, pharmacists, and clinicians provide excellent care and pay them when this happens.
- Impact: A fun and exciting start-up culture that empowers its people to make a huge impact.