Professional Learning Specialist - Palm Beach, FL
ABOUT KHAN ACADEMY
Khan Academy is a nonprofit organization on a mission to provide a free, world-class education to anyone, anywhere. We already reach millions of students every month and are growing rapidly, and right now we’re hard at work helping learners address any unfinished learning that the COVID-19 pandemic may have caused. We also know that not all communities have been impacted equally by this pandemic, which makes our work focusing on providing equitable solutions to historically under-resourced communities even more important.
WE ARE DRIVEN BY OUR COMMUNITY
Our students, teachers, and parents come from all walks of life and so do we. We are fun, diverse, quirky people that come from a variety of backgrounds. Our team includes people from academia and from high tech companies and tiny startups. We hire great people from diverse backgrounds and experiences, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. Valuing diversity, equity and inclusion is necessary for us to actualize our mission and truly impact the communities we serve. We believe that the best way to provide impactful education is to create a diverse team of people from different backgrounds, races, religions, genders, sexual orientations, ages, and experiences. We’re a hardworking team that’s passionate about helping learners and teachers around the globe! We strive to be world class in investing in our people and commit to developing you as a professional.
Khan Academy is looking for a Dedicated Professional Learning Specialist to serve in the Palm Beach area of South Florida. We are looking for someone who is excited to join a small team working on a big goal. Applicants should be passionate about delivering highly quality professional learning experiences to K-12 educators and administrators through virtual and in-person experiences in the Palm Beach area. Applicants should have a background in teaching, coaching teachers and administrators, delivering professional development, analyzing data, and developing professional learning experiences and resources for educators.
Working closely with the Leader of Professional Learning, this individual thinks creatively about how to adjust the format, content & tone of professional learning sessions so that all training material is in line with the district goals and mission.
WHAT YOU BRING
- Live in the Palm Beach area of Florida.
- Deep familiarity with Florida standards and education initiatives.
- Willingness and excitement to work closely with district and site administrators in Palm Beach to drive Khan Academy and Khanmigo usage that impacts student learning. This collaboration will take place daily or weekly depending on the time of year.
- Personally deliver engaging, high-quality in-person, live-virtual, and recorded professional development experiences to educators. Ensure training drives changes in teacher & administrator practices.
- Collaborate with District Success Manager to maintain strong awareness of district goals and data in order to collaboratively build a strong implementation.
- Based on district data and goals, recommend and deliver professional development sessions to school sites and districtwide
- Continuously improve professional development content and structure by observing sessions led by others, analyzing survey responses & leading reflection sessions.
- Manage the upkeep and content creation of PD materials for the district
- Project manage special projects relevant to the district
- Leverage data recommendations to coach teachers on instructional implications and actions to impact student learning
- When the assigned district does not have professional learning needs, be willing to support professional development creation and delivery in other areas.
YOU WOULD BE A GREAT FIT IF YOU HAVE
- Live in the Palm Beach area of Florida
- 5+ years of experience teaching math or science in a 6-12 setting
- 3+ years of experience as a school site or district level administrator in a K-12 setting
- 3+ years of experience in instructional coaching designing and delivering professional development sessions and strong understanding of adult learning theory
- Experience using Khan Academy in the classroom with students
- World class training skills, including exceptional communication and presentation skills
- Strong coaching skills, including the ability to coach and mentor existing and new facilitators
- Experience developing and analyzing qualitative and quantitative feedback & survey data in order to inform changes to individual & team strategies
- Excellent organizational skills - ability to manage multiple tasks concurrently, from start to finish
- Strong project management skills. Ability to meet deadlines and work independently.
- Strong technology skills including ed tech tools, video recording software, live video-conferencing tools, & Google Workplace tools
- Bilingual (Spanish) strongly preferred
- Ability to commute to school sites within Palm Beach on a daily basis
- Ability to travel up to 10% outside of the Palm Beach area (car and air travel)
PERKS AND BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team extremely well!
- Competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- Ample paid time off as needed – we are about getting things done, not face time
- Generous parental leave
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- The ability to put your talents towards a deeply meaningful mission and the opportunity to work on high-impact products that are already defining the future of education
- Affinity groups where Parents, Black, Hispanic/Latino, Women and Gender Minorities, and LGBTQIA+ identified folks come together
- And we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
MORE ABOUT US
- Sal’s TED talk from 2011
- Sal’s TED talk from 2015
- Our team: http://www.khanacademy.org/about/the-team
OUR COMPANY VALUES
Live & breathe learners
We deeply understand and empathize with our users. We leverage user insights, research, and experience to build content, products, services, and experiences that our users trust and love. Our success is defined by the success of our learners and educators.
Take a stand
As a company, we have conviction in our aspirational point of view of how education will evolve. The work we do is in service to moving towards that point of view. However, we also listen, learn and flex in the face of new data, and commit to evolving this point of view as the industry and our users evolve.
Embrace diverse perspectives
We are a diverse community. We seek out and embrace a diversity of voices, perspectives and life experiences leading to stronger, more inclusive teams and better outcomes. As individuals, we are committed to bringing up tough topics and leaning into different points of view with curiosity. We actively listen, learn and collaborate to gain a shared understanding. When a decision is made, we commit to moving forward as a united team.
Work responsibly and sustainably
We understand that achieving our audacious mission is a marathon, so we set realistic timelines and we focus on delivery that also links to the bigger picture. As a non-profit, we are supported by the generosity of donors as well as strategic partners, and understand our responsibility to our finite resources. We spend every dollar as though it were our own. We are responsible for the impact we have on the world and to each other. We ensure our team and company stay healthy and financially sustainable.
Bring out the joy
We are committed to making learning a joyful process. This informs what we build for our users and the culture we co-create with our teammates, partners and donors.
Cultivate learning mindset
We believe in the power of growth for learners and for ourselves. We constantly learn and teach to improve our offerings, ourselves, and our organization. We learn from our mistakes and aren’t afraid to fail. We don't let past failures or successes stop us from taking future bold action and achieving our goals.
We insist on high standards and deliver delightful, effective end-to-end experiences that our users can rely on. We choose to focus on fewer things — each of which aligns to our ambitious vision — so we can deliver high-quality experiences that accelerate positive measurable learning with our strategic partners.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. We value diversity, equity, and inclusion, and we encourage candidates from historically underrepresented groups to apply.