Director of Assessment
ABOUT KHAN ACADEMY
Khan Academy is a nonprofit organization on a mission to provide a free, world-class education to anyone, anywhere. We already reach millions of students every month and are growing rapidly, and right now we’re hard at work helping learners address any unfinished learning that the COVID-19 pandemic may have caused. We also know that not all communities have been impacted equally by this pandemic, which makes our work focusing on providing equitable solutions to historically under-resourced communities even more important.
WE ARE DRIVEN BY OUR COMMUNITY
Our students, teachers, and parents come from all walks of life and so do we. We are fun, diverse, quirky people that come from a variety of backgrounds. Our team includes people from academia and from high tech companies and tiny startups. We hire great people from diverse backgrounds and experiences, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. Valuing diversity, equity and inclusion is necessary for us to actualize our mission and truly impact the communities we serve. We believe that the best way to provide impactful education is to create a diverse team of people from different backgrounds, races, religions, genders, sexual orientations, ages, and experiences. We’re a hardworking team that’s passionate about helping learners and teachers around the globe! We strive to be world class in investing in our people and commit to developing you as a professional.
We’re looking for an experienced leader to build, inspire, and guide our team to deliver innovative K-12 assessment solutions at Khan Academy. In this role, you will partner with cross-functional leaders across the company to deliver on our mission.
- Build and lead a team focused on delivering assessment solutions at Khan Academy. Together with content, product management, design and engineering leadership, own delivery of an assessment offering roadmap.
- Collaborate with our founder and other product leaders to drive the assessment strategy and vision which lays out our unique path for engaging teachers and learners with assessment and driving learning; working collaboratively across content, design, engineering, learning science and research & efficacy.
- Drive assessment product planning and roadmapping to achieve the assessment product vision, desired business outcomes.
- Know our customers and products inside and out. Inspire others to a similar depth of knowledge - and to use customer/product insights to guide assessment product decisions.
- Recruit, motivate, and grow a world-class assessment team to deliver best-in-class offerings and customer support in service to rapid user growth and accelerated learning outcomes. Responsible for coaching, career planning, career path development, and performance management of this critical function.
- Support cross-functional alignment across a wide range of stakeholders including Content, Engineering, Design, Marketing, Philanthropy, Learning Science, Research & Efficacy, and Analytics. Ensure transparency and alignment across the company on product and support priorities.
WHAT YOU BRING
- Motivated by the Khan Academy mission “to provide a free world-class education for anyone, anywhere.”
- Exceptional communicator, collaborator, and facilitator who enjoys leading through influence and working across functions and levels to establish and deliver on shared goals.
- Strategic thinker who can build frameworks and connect ideas
- A willingness to roll up your sleeves and help the team get work done as we are a relatively small organization.
- Proven cross-cultural competency skills demonstrating self-awareness, awareness of other, and the ability to adopt inclusive perspectives, attitudes, and behaviors to drive inclusion and belonging throughout the organization.
- Track record of combining customer-focus with mission alignment, engaging in, data-driven decision making that delivers an exceptional customer experience as well business outcomes.
- A positive mindset that is energized by ambiguity and bringing clarity and structure to new opportunities.
Successful candidates will:
- 10+ years of increasing responsibility in (1) leading and motivating world-class assessment teams and (2) building and scaling assessment offerings.
- Expertise in psychometrics, assessment design, and/or assessment delivery
- Demonstrated ability to balance assessment rigor with innovation
Strong leader of people, with proven ability to lead teams and work across functional lines. Able to collaborate, influence, and quickly build trust and respect within the organization and with partners.
For this position, our hiring salary range is $200-$250K USD/ $227-$284K CAN The pay range for this position is a general guideline only. We determine the final salary offer by factoring in experience and skills, evaluating the state of the job market, and assessing pay equity within the team.
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team extremely well!
- Competitive salaries
- Ample paid time off as needed – we are about getting things done, not face time
- Generous parental leave
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- The ability to put your talents towards a deeply meaningful mission and the opportunity to work on high-impact products that are already defining the future of education
- Affinity groups where Parents, Black, Hispanic/Latino, Women and Gender Minorities, and LGBTQIA+ identified folks come together
- And we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
MORE ABOUT US
- Sal’s TED talk from 2011
- Sal’s TED talk from 2015
- Our team: http://www.khanacademy.org/about/the-team
OUR COMPANY VALUES
Live & breathe learners
We deeply understand and empathize with our users. We leverage user insights, research, and experience to build content, products, services, and experiences that our users trust and love. Our success is defined by the success of our learners and educators.
Take a stand
As a company, we have conviction in our aspirational point of view of how education will evolve. The work we do is in service to moving towards that point of view. However, we also listen, learn and flex in the face of new data, and commit to evolving this point of view as the industry and our users evolve.
Embrace diverse perspectives
We are a diverse community. We seek out and embrace a diversity of voices, perspectives and life experiences leading to stronger, more inclusive teams and better outcomes. As individuals, we are committed to bringing up tough topics and leaning into different points of view with curiosity. We actively listen, learn and collaborate to gain a shared understanding. When a decision is made, we commit to moving forward as a united team.
Work responsibly and sustainably
We understand that achieving our audacious mission is a marathon, so we set realistic timelines and we focus on delivery that also links to the bigger picture. As a non-profit, we are supported by the generosity of donors as well as strategic partners, and understand our responsibility to our finite resources. We spend every dollar as though it were our own. We are responsible for the impact we have on the world and to each other. We ensure our team and company stay healthy and financially sustainable.
Bring out the joy
We are committed to making learning a joyful process. This informs what we build for our users and the culture we co-create with our teammates, partners and donors.
Cultivate learning mindset
We believe in the power of growth for learners and for ourselves. We constantly learn and teach to improve our offerings, ourselves, and our organization. We learn from our mistakes and aren’t afraid to fail. We don't let past failures or successes stop us from taking future bold action and achieving our goals.
We insist on high standards and deliver delightful, effective end-to-end experiences that our users can rely on. We choose to focus on fewer things — each of which aligns to our ambitious vision — so we can deliver high-quality experiences that accelerate positive measurable learning with our strategic partners.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. We value diversity, equity, and inclusion, and we encourage candidates from historically underrepresented groups to apply.