Communications and Media Manager
Innovation Lab Lab
Date: 10/10/2023 Due date: Position Open until filled
Category: Regular, Full Time FLSA Status: Exempt
Innovation Law Lab is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that leverages advocacy, technology and law to fight for immigrant and refugee justice. Our collaborative legal representation model and technology transform the way lawyers and advocates scale their work to provide effective support to immigrants in hostile jurisdictions, while also developing creative strategies for challenging the immigration system itself.
Law Lab employs creative legal and organizing strategies to directly challenge barriers to asylum access, prototype new inclusive systems and policy work, provide legal representation and combat injustices in the immigration legal system, and advocate for detained individuals while working to shut down immigration prisons.Law Lab also plays a vital role in the development and implementation of some of Oregon’s most progressive immigration policies including the life changing pandemic relief and Oregon’s Universal Representation program, Equity Corps of Oregon.
The Communications and Media Manager plays a critical role in increasing the impact of Innovation Law Lab’s communications plans, messaging, and strategic initiatives. The Communications and Media Manager will coordinate all aspects of the organization’s media relations, including press releases, talking points, earned media, messaging guidance, op-eds, and media interviews. The Communications and Media Manager will also lead Innovation Law Lab’s use of data-driven and human-centered multimedia shared through social channels, website blog posts, and email newsletters with the goal of keeping supporters and the general public informed while elevating Innovation Law Lab’s mission, theory of change, and work. This role maintains strong relationships with staff, partner organizations and law firms, and supporters across the country.
The Communications and Media Manager will report to the Director of Strategy and will maintain strong relationships with Innovation Law Lab staff, partner organizations, law firms, media stakeholders and supporters across the country.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan and implement communications strategies for Innovation Law Lab programs, advocacy projects, and impact litigation efforts while working in close partnership with staff, partner organizations, and stakeholders;
- Monitor news coverage on key issue areas, maintain relationships with members of traditional news media and emerging digital news outlets, and pitch stories, editorial coverage, and other types of engagement;
- Craft email action alerts, and participate in email action network strategy, in close collaboration with Innovation Law Lab staff, partner organizations, and stakeholders;
- Identify, develop and implement social media opportunities to promote Innovation Law Lab’s work and resources with the goal of fostering loyal organizational followings on social media platforms;
- Foster work that builds loyal organizational followings on social media platforms.
- Other duties as assigned to promote our organizational work and foster strategic relationships.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The following are the minimum levels required to successfully perform the essential job duties and responsibilities.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent years of experience;
- Two to three years experience in at least one of the following: new media, traditional media, digital communications, graphic design, branding, or message development;
- Advanced written, analytical, verbal, and organizational skills with demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, respectfully, and compellingly;
- Experience working with people from diverse backgrounds is highly preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to be creative and resourceful in a rapidly shifting advocacy space.
- Demonstrated commitment to immigrants’ rights and the rule of law.
Environment: Law Lab is based in Portland, Oregon, and has a distributed team with many staff living elsewhere and working remotely. If based in Portland, Oregon, the Communications and Media Manager would regularly work out of the Law Lab office in Portland. Remote candidates from other geographical areas could work remotely, and potentially travel to Portland for meetings about twice a year. The position interacts constantly with staff, stakeholders, and partner organizations..
Hours: The Communications and Media Manager works a full-time schedule regularly consisting of 40 hours a week. This position may be required to work extended hours based on fluctuating workloads and business needs. This may include evenings, weekends, and holidays. The position is classified as non-exempt and is eligible for overtime pay.
Other Duties and Responsibilities: This job description is a summary of the essential duties and responsibilities for this job, and it does not necessarily represent an all-inclusive list of duties, responsibilities, tasks or procedures. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instruction or assignments. Nothing in this description restricts Law Lab’s right to assign or reassign duties at any time.
Accommodation Statement: Essential job duties and responsibilities are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform the job successfully, an incumbent or applicant must possess the experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform each essential duty and responsibility proficiently. If you require an accommodation in order to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of this job, please contact the Innovation Law Lab’s Operations Director.
Compensation & Benefits: Compensation is based on experience and qualifications. The salary range is between $49,500 – 71,500 annually. Innovation Law Lab offers a full package of benefits including medical, dental and vision coverage as well as 401k retirement plan. Law Lab offers 13 days of vacation leave during the first year of employment, 2 floating holidays and 9 office holidays per calendar year, up to 30 days of paid sick time, employer-paid basic Life Insurance, and access to professional development leave and allowance after one year of service.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion statement
At Innovation Law Lab, our aim is to foster a diverse, inclusive, and equitable environment where everyone feels empowered to be their whole selves and is treated with dignity and respect. We welcome applications from qualified individuals, irrespective of their race, skin color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, disability status, or any other characteristic.
How To Apply
To apply, send your resume, cover letter and 2 writing samples or design portfolio (if applicable) to email@example.com. Questions may also be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. While applications will be accepted until the position is filled, we anticipate we will begin conducting interviews towards the end of October 2023.
Innovation Law Lab is an Equal Opportunity Employer