Afterschool Dance & Fitness Instructor
InnovateEDU is a non-profit whose mission is to eliminate the opportunity gap by accelerating innovation in standards-aligned, next-generation learning models and tools that serve, inform, and enhance teaching and learning. InnovateEDU is committed to massively disrupting K-12 public education by focusing on developing scalable tools and practices that leverage innovation, technology, and new human capital systems to improve education for all students and close the opportunity gap.
Join a growing, tight-knit, and diverse team working directly with school districts across the country and leading groundbreaking alliance work in education. Our nonprofit is often described as an “innovative startup” focusing on impact. Our team members have a variety of backgrounds, but one thing unites them all--their love for our mission and for affecting large-scale change.
About the Project
Supported by funding from the Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD), InnovateEDU works with the Brooklyn Laboratory Charter School in downtown Brooklyn to provide next generation educational services. We offer an extended learning day through our middle school after school program, providing engaging workshops in STEM, Arts, Music, and Athletics that prepare students with the academic foundation, digital literacy, and leadership skills necessary to succeed in college and professional life.
About the Position
To begin on August 28, 2023, we seek an experienced and enthusiastic individual to join our middle school team as an Afterschool Dance & Fitness Instructor with expertise in dance fundamentals, preparing choreography for performances, and leading a variety of fitness activities (ie. warm-ups, steal the bacon, zumba, light yoga) to supplement physical education. This position is responsible for creating, implementing, and managing daily activities to help our participants develop the skills and qualities that will make them leaders in their school and community. Afterschool Instructors draw on their background to facilitate daily workshops in their area of expertise. This role works closely with our Educational Specialist to develop detailed lessons and additional student activities. A successful candidate will bring previous teaching experience and self-initiative to this position, and will have the opportunity to get creative in constructing daily workshops.
This is a part-time, in-person position, working Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 3:30 to 5:30 pm, Wednesday from 12:00 to 4:00 pm, and additional training hours and Saturdays as needed. Activities will be on-site at the Brooklyn Lab campuses in Downtown Brooklyn. The hourly rate is $25 hr. InnovateEDU also offers a one-time signing and retention bonus at three months of successful employment.
DYCD Vaccination Policy: Prior to beginning employment, all personnel in DYCD contracted programs must provide proof to the program that they have been fully vaccinated, or have received the first dose of a two-dose vaccine, and they must additionally provide proof that they have received the second dose of that vaccine within 45 days after receipt of the first dose.
- Plan and facilitate detailed lesson plans for middle school students focused on developing skills and techniques in dance and fitness.
- Manage classrooms effectively and create a positive learning environment through effective classroom routines;
- Collaborate with Education Specialist to ensure that all lesson plans are age-appropriate, engaging, and aligned with NY State Common Core education standards;
- Identify opportunities and outlets for students to engage with their Brooklyn community;
- Assist in organizing program-wide events, including activities with community partners;
- Supervise students on field trips and field lessons;
- Communicate with other instructors and staff about student needs across programming;
- Train and support Group Leaders in conducting workshops;
- Attend staff meetings and professional training.
- High School Diploma or equivalent;
- 1-2 years of experience working with adolescents in the specified subject, preferably in a classroom or afterschool setting;
- Ability to manage 15 students in a classroom setting;
- Experience facilitating trainings or presentations to colleagues a plus;
- Flexibility and creativity in developing engaging classroom activities;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, and the ability to work both collaboratively and independently;
- Must be able to successfully pass fingerprinting and SCR clearances ($150 expense, reimburse-able after hire).