Afterschool Sports Instructor
InnovateEDU is a non-profit whose mission is to eliminate the opportunity gap by accelerating innovation in standards-aligned, next-generation learning models and tools that serve, inform, and enhance teaching and learning. InnovateEDU is committed to massively disrupting K-12 public education by focusing on the development of scalable tools and practices that leverage innovation, technology, and new human capital systems to improve education for all students and close the opportunity gap.
Join a growing, tight-knit, and diverse team that’s working directly with school districts across the country and leading groundbreaking alliance work in education. Our nonprofit is often described as an “innovative startup” with a focus on impact. Our team members have a variety of backgrounds, but one thing unites them all--their love for our mission and affecting large-scale change.
About the Project
Supported by funding from the Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD), InnovateEDU works with the Brooklyn Laboratory Charter School in downtown Brooklyn to provide next generation educational services. We offer an extended learning day through our middle school after school program, providing engaging workshops in STEM, Arts, Music, and Athletics that prepare students with the academic foundation, digital literacy, and leadership skills necessary to succeed in college and professional life.
About the Position
To begin in late August 2023, we are seeking an experienced and enthusiastic individual to join our middle school team as an Afterschool Sports Instructor with expertise in Athletics/ Fitness. This position is responsible for creating, implementing, and managing daily activities to help our participants develop the skills and qualities that will make them leaders in their school and community. Afterschool Instructors draw on their background to facilitate daily workshops in their area of expertise. This role works closely with our Educational Specialist to develop detailed lessons and additional student activities. A successful candidate will bring previous teaching experience and self-initiative to this position, and will have the opportunity to get creative in constructing daily workshops.
This is a part-time, in-person position, working Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday from 3:30 to 5:30 pm, Wednesday from 12:00 to 4:00 pm, and additional training hours and Saturdays as needed. Activities will be on site at the Brooklyn Lab campuses in Downtown Brooklyn. The hourly rate is $25/hr.
DYCD Vaccination Policy: Before beginning employment, all personnel in DYCD contracted programs must provide proof to the program that they have been fully vaccinated or have received the first dose of a two-dose vaccine, and they must additionally provide proof that they have received the second dose of that vaccine within 45 days after receipt of the first dose.
- Plan and facilitate detailed lesson plans for middle school students focused on developing skills and techniques in a specified subject..
- Manage classrooms effectively and create a positive learning environment;
- Collaborate with the Education Specialist, the Program Director, the Athletic Director, and School Officials to ensure that all lesson plans are age-appropriate, engaging, and aligned with Common Core education standards;
- Identify opportunities and outlets for students to engage with their Brooklyn community;
- Assist in organizing program-wide events, including activities with community partners;
- Communicate with other Activity Specialists and staff about student needs across programming;
- Train and support Group Leaders in conducting workshops;
- Attend staff meetings and professional trainings;
- Must be able to frequently move equipment weighing up to 50 pounds across campus for various classroom and event needs;
- Arrive to work according to the expected hours in compliance with the schedule outlined for your work days; excessive lateness or absences may result in disciplinary action or termination;
- Accept the school’s codes of behavior as the minimum standard of conduct it will require;
- Support programming through coordination and partnership with clubs and sports programming with school staff and personnel through a separate subrant from InnovateEDU to the School. This may include supporting club/ sport practices, official games, and athletic support on and off the fields.
- High School Diploma or equivalent;
- 1-2 years experience working with adolescents in the specified subject, preferably in a classroom or afterschool setting;
- Experience facilitating trainings or presentations to colleagues a plus;
- Flexibility and creativity in developing engaging classroom activities;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, and the ability to work both collaboratively and independently;
- Experience coaching or supporting with multiple sports teams/ clubs and sportsmanship
- Must be able to successfully pass fingerprinting and SCR clearances ($150 expense, reimburse-able after hire).