Counsel, Legal & Business Affairs
About Global Citizen
Global Citizen is a movement of engaged citizens who are using their collective voice to end extreme poverty. On our platform, Global Citizens learn about the systemic causes of extreme poverty, take action on these issues, and earn rewards for their actions as part of a global community committed to lasting change. Global Citizens have taken over 33.5 million actions since 2009. Today, these actions, in combination with high-level advocacy work, have led to over $43.6 billion being distributed to our partners around the world, impacting 1.29 billion lives in the fight to end extreme poverty.
As Counsel, Legal & Business Affairs for Global Citizen, you will be tasked with protecting and advancing the goals of the organization through effective, thoughtful, and clear counseling. This includes working with and guiding various departments, contributing to the overarching Legal & Business Affairs strategy, managing the legal and business affairs needs of large entertainment projects in support of our mission (music festivals, broadcasts and other content production), developing risk management and mitigation, and overseeing outside counsel projects and case matters.
This is a fast-paced role that requires agility, pragmatism, and the ability to quickly convert complex legal concepts into actionable business advice and/or policy guidelines. The Legal & Business Affairs team at Global Citizen is not your average in-house legal team - we’re nimble, adaptable, and a “legal concierge” of sorts; partnering with our colleagues to support their successes and embracing creativity and innovation to solve challenges. The Counsel, Legal & Business Affairs reports directly to the General Counsel.
- Lead across many practice areas in the organization, including (but not limited to) sponsorship agreements, trademarks, entertainment/music, labor/employment, copyright, immigration and non-profit/tax law.
- Develop internal reporting processes, educate non-legal staff, and manage applicable compliance needs.
- Manage business affairs workflows for large live and broadcast events, potentially including vendor contracts, talent appearance agreements, music clearances, visual clearances, etc.
- Collaborate across departments in the drafting and negotiating both revenue and vendor contracts.
- Offer guidance on risk assessment and assist in managing the organization's annual and event-specific insurance coverages.
- Assist in on-boarding and managing a team of contract lawyers for project-specific undertakings, including the organization’s live-event and media-based projects.
- Support our international offices, as needed.
- Manage our various outside counsels throughout the world (on a matter-to-matter basis)..
- 3+ years of legal experience either at a large law firm or in-house at a media company or non-profit.
- Experience with sponsorship structuring, corporate governance, intellectual property law, labor and employment.
- Experience with music and/or television/film deals is a plus.
- Be a self starter, with the ability to combine legal and project management skills to get projects across the line without significant oversight
- Solid drafting and organizational skills.
- International experience and familiarity with international affairs preferred.
- Ideal candidates will be proactive, collaborative, innovative (where necessary), and offer practical and succinct advice on a variety of matters and across numerous practice areas.
- New York bar
Why Global Citizen?
In this coming decade of action and accountability, Global Citizen will be the leading international voice, educator, and influencer that rallies humanity to take full responsibility and accountability for eradicating extreme poverty. You have a chance to contribute and make this world a better place for all.
- Must be authorized for employment in the United States
- Global Citizen operates on a hybrid work model - 3 days (Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday) in our NYC office and 2 days (Monday & Friday) telecommuting.
- Full-time, ongoing employees are eligible for a competitive benefits package: Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance; commuter benefits; 403(b) retirement savings + employer match; generous paid time off (vacation, sick, and holidays); paid parental leave; employee discounts; FSA/HSA; Professional Development Assistance; EAP.
- Salary Range: $90,000 - $110,000
Global Citizen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. Global Citizen strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, citizenship or any other protected classification under applicable federal, state, or local laws. In addition, Global Citizen complies with the relevant country laws governing employment nondiscrimination in all our international offices. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.