GiveDirectly (GD) provides cash grants directly to people living in extreme poverty. GD has raised over $800M since launching in 2011, delivered cash to more than 1.2 million recipients, and launched offices in 11 countries. We’re continuing expansion across the Global South. Over the past decade, GD has also supported large-scale, experimental research, expanding the evidence that cash has a positive short and long-term impact on recipients. As a result, GD has been celebrated as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company, while the growing cash transfer movement (and GD’s leading role within it) has been featured in the New York Times Magazine, This American Life, Foreign Affairs, and The Economist.
Across our global offices, our culture is candid, analytical, non-hierarchical, and agile. We work alongside 750+ individuals who come from 21 different countries and speak 69 different languages. Team members at GiveDirectly attest that diversity, equity, and inclusion are not just buzzwords, but a fundamental part of our culture and values. We actively seek to recruit individuals from the communities we serve, and use DEI as a lens in our hiring practices, programs, and initiatives. Our goal is to maintain a workplace where everyone can bring their authentic selves to work, and feel valued and respected for who they are. We continue to grapple with balancing inclusivity of all cultures and experiences while maintaining cohesion in our values. While there is much that we are still learning, we take care of one another, have fun, as well as provide flexible working hours wherever possible.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
About this role
This position will provide cross-team support for the Development department, reporting directly to the VP of Development. This department includes special projects, campaign fundraising, and individual giving, and works closely with GiveDirectly’s executive team to drive new and unprecedented philanthropic resources to people living in extreme poverty.
The ideal candidate for this role will not need direct fundraising or philanthropy experience (though helpful). We are looking for candidates who are deeply aligned with GiveDirectly’s mission, and bring excellent communication, presentation, and project management skills.
This role is fully remote but must overlap with an East Africa timezone by at least 2 hours.
Reports to: Sarah Moran, VP of Development
What you’ll do:
- Support key account management (major donors, high net worth individuals, etc) through research, impact reporting, and lifecycle management.
- Support new and existing donor engagement by contributing to pitches and supporting donor communications and follow up.
- Write detailed yet skimmable briefing materials (research, programs, organizations, individuals).
- Create slide decks for external stakeholder meetings.
- Communicate impact to supporters by telling clear and interesting stories with data, recipient stories, and research.
- Support the VP of Development on external relationships, including preparation and follow-up from meetings.
- Over time, will own funding proposals.
- Work indirectly with executive leadership, including Co-Founder and Executive Chair Michael Faye and President Samuel Mwale on extraordinary donor opportunities (meetings, pitches, events, etc).
What you’ll bring:
- Exceptional alignment with GiveDirectly Values and active demonstration of our core competencies: emotional intelligence, problem solving, project management, follow-through, and fostering inclusivity. We welcome and strongly encourage applications from candidates who have personal or professional experience in the low-income and/or historically marginalized communities that we serve.
- Language Requirement: English
- 1-2 years of full-time experience in a fast-paced and analytical environment .
- Exceptional project management skills, with a demonstrated ability to manage multiple workflows.
- Excellent verbal and written skills, with a focus on concise and intentional communication.
- Ability to tell a compelling story and communicate why it matters.
- Experience building models and running analytics in Google Sheets or Excel.
- Ability to flex between the highest levels of strategy and the most minute levels of detail
- Alignment with GiveDirectly values and active demonstration of core competencies: emotional intelligence, problem-solving, project management, follow-through, and fostering inclusivity.
- Experience with Canva, Tableau, and Google Suite preferred.
- Ability to travel ~1-2 times per year to one of our countries of operation for team retreats or field visits
At GiveDirectly, we strive to pay our employees generously and equitably. We use an accredited third party salary aggregator to ensure that staff’s total compensation package (base compensation + bonus) falls within the 75th percentile of similar roles, at similar organizations. We also have a no negotiation policy to ensure we are paying staff equitably across roles.
- The United States base salary for this role is $82,500.
This role is fully remote, so if you are not based in the US, we will share an estimated salary benchmark for the country you are based in during the hiring process.
About the hiring process
Format: The hiring process follows the same general outline for all open roles:
First interview (30 mins)
Take home skills assignment (~2 hours)
Second interview (1 hour)*
Third interview (1 hour)*
Final interview (1 hour)
Reference checks (30 mins each)
*For some roles, second & third interviews are combined into a panel interview. If there are adjustments or variations on this process, those changes will be communicated during the first interview.
Venue: We conduct interviews over Google Meet with camera on (unless communicated otherwise).
Accessibility: Closed captioning is available during all Google Meet interviews, and interviewers will also post interview questions in the chat box throughout the call. If you need assistance accessing either of these features, please let your interviewer know at the start of your interview!
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**