GiveDirectly (GD) provides cash grants directly to people living in extreme poverty. GD has raised over $800M since launching in 2011, delivered cash to more than 1.2 million recipients, and launched offices in 11 countries. We’re continuing expansion across the Global South. Over the past decade, GD has also supported large-scale, experimental research, expanding the evidence that cash has a positive short and long-term impact on recipients. As a result, GD has been celebrated as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company, while the growing cash transfer movement (and GD’s leading role within it) has been featured in the New York Times Magazine, This American Life, Foreign Affairs, and The Economist.
Across our global offices, our culture is candid, analytical, non-hierarchical, and agile. We work alongside 750+ individuals who come from 21 different countries and speak 69 different languages. Team members at GiveDirectly attest that diversity, equity, and inclusion are not just buzzwords, but a fundamental part of our culture and values. We actively seek to recruit individuals from the communities we serve, and use DEI as a lens in our hiring practices, programs, and initiatives. Our goal is to maintain a workplace where everyone can bring their authentic selves to work, and feel valued and respected for who they are. We continue to grapple with balancing inclusivity of all cultures and experiences while maintaining cohesion in our values. While there is much that we are still learning, we take care of one another, have fun, as well as provide flexible working hours wherever possible.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or any other status protected by law.
Priority Application Deadline: May 30th, 2023
Reports to: Partnerships Director
As Partnerships Associate, you will be responsible for administrative support to the GiveDirectly Global Partnerships team. The position plays a key role in the team’s mandate to drive new and innovative funding partnerships with foundations, institutions, and corporations. Working in close collaboration with GiveDirectly’s Partnerships, Programs and Research teams, you will scope new funding opportunities, support the production of core content to engage new and existing audiences, help to build, scale, and maintain internal systems and processes, and assist in the successful response to funding announcements. You are highly organized, creative with strong written communication skills, and solutions-oriented, and you thrive when working at the nexus of several fast-moving teams.
Core functions will include:
- Opportunity Sourcing
- Proactively search for and immediately distribute funding solicitations, notices, and other communications to correct GiveDirectly audiences.
- Monitor industry news to compile and present a weekly voiceover to the Global Partnerships team.
- Support tracking and documenting strategic priorities and programmatic footprint of current and future partners/funders.
- Collateral Development & Knowledge Management
- Prepares high quality, brand-accurate core content for external meetings and presentations, including customized pitch decks, country capacity statements, project one-pagers, and standard templates, etc.
- Coordinates and manages content maintenance and organization processes: planning, creation, timelines for content review and approvals by Partnership Managers/Directors and Country Directors, periodic review, and content retention, storage, and disposition.
- Proposal Coordination Support
- Provide proposal coordination support to Global Partnerships-led proposals, coordinate other proposals as assigned.
- Prepare initial proposal workbooks and calendars for active applications and proposals in collaboration with proposal managers.
- Assist with responding to expressions of interest, concept notes, program option documents etc. as assigned.
- Liaise with GiveDirectly’s Research team to identify and compile appropriate research and summarize findings to apply towards proposal activities, capacity statements and other externally facing products.
- Draft proposal templates, job aids, and other resources that aid in an effective and efficient proposal development process.
- Conduct desk research to inform country context setting within proposals tailoring content to specific thematic areas of focus.
- Grant Management
- Copy edit program reports drafted by country program teams for ongoing grant agreements ensuring information aligns to funder reporting requirements as stipulated in the grant agreement.
- General Administrative Support
- Serve as key administrator for Global Partnership subteams and country teams, circulating information appropriately, scheduling meetings, taking notes, entering information into Salesforce and fundraising pipeline.
- Draft consultancy scopes of work in coordination with department heads.
- Process any grant invoices and payments.
- Proactively identify process improvement needs (via dashboards, trackers, etc.) proposing solutions and implementing ideas.
- Draft and maintain job aids, as needed, related to opportunity sourcing, proposal development, and document storage processes.
What we're looking for:
An individual (i) who enjoys content creation (written and visual), research, and internal project coordination, (ii) appreciates systems and is process-oriented, (iii) a desire to work in a fast-paced team, and (iv) will take pride in driving the Partnerships team back-end administrative functions that will enables GiveDirectly to maximize impact by building, managing, and scaling relationships and projects with partners.
Other things we’d like to see:
- A minimum of 1 year professional experience, whether through internships or full-time employment.
- Superior writing and editing skills, especially of complex work.
- Proven organizational skills including attention to details, with the ability to learn and apply new skills quickly, meet tight deadlines and balance multiple priorities.
- Basic graphic design skills preferred.
- Previous experience working with Microsoft Office and other content management systems, intranets, portals; Google Enterprise preferred.
- Strong interest to work with governments, non-profit organizations, private entities and social enterprises.
- A strong interest in and proven aptitude for being proactive and solutions oriented.
- A proclivity for giving and gracefully receiving direct, honest, and constructive feedback.
- An excitement and energy for the work we do and for collaborating with others.
In addition to the specific skills required for each role, we’re looking for candidates who are aligned with our Values, and who actively demonstrate our core competencies: emotional intelligence, problem solving, project management, follow-through, and fostering inclusivity.
At GiveDirectly, we strive to pay our employees generously and equitably. We use an accredited third party salary aggregator to ensure that staff’s total compensation package (base compensation + bonus) falls within the 75th percentile of similar roles, at similar organizations. We also have a no negotiation policy to ensure we are paying staff equitably across roles.
- The gross base salary is $67,000 for the United States and $30,500 for Kenya.
This role is fully remote, so if you are not based in the United States or Kenya, we will share an estimated salary benchmark for the country you are based in during the hiring process.
About the hiring process
Format: The hiring process follows the same general outline for all open roles:
First interview (30 mins)
Take home skills assignment (~2 hours)
Second interview (1 hour)*
Third interview (1 hour)*
Final interview (1 hour)
Reference checks (30 mins each)
*For some roles, second & third interviews are combined into a panel interview. If there are adjustments or variations on this process, those changes will be communicated during the first interview.
Venue: We conduct interviews over Google Meet with camera on (unless communicated otherwise).
Accessibility: Closed captioning is available during all Google Meet interviews, and interviewers will also post interview questions in the chat box throughout the call. If you need assistance accessing either of these features, please let your interviewer know at the start of your interview!
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**