Rwanda Accounting Officer
GiveDirectly (GD) provides cash grants directly to people living in extreme poverty. GD has raised over $800M since launching in 2011, delivered cash to more than 1.2 million recipients, and launched offices in 11 countries. We’re continuing expansion across the Global South. Over the past decade, GD has also supported large-scale, experimental research, expanding the evidence that cash has a positive short and long-term impact on recipients. As a result, GD has been celebrated as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company, while the growing cash transfer movement (and GD’s leading role within it) has been featured in the New York Times Magazine, This American Life, Foreign Affairs, and The Economist.
Across our global offices, our culture is candid, analytical, non-hierarchical, and agile. We work alongside 750+ individuals who come from 21 different countries and speak 69 different languages. Team members at GiveDirectly attest that diversity, equity, and inclusion are not just buzzwords, but a fundamental part of our culture and values. We actively seek to recruit individuals from the communities we serve, and use DEI as a lens in our hiring practices, programs, and initiatives. Our goal is to maintain a workplace where everyone can bring their authentic selves to work, and feel valued and respected for who they are. We continue to grapple with balancing inclusivity of all cultures and experiences while maintaining cohesion in our values. While there is much that we are still learning, we take care of one another, have fun, as well as provide flexible working hours wherever possible.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or any other status protected by law.
What you’ll be doing:
- Documenting transactions in accordance with GD's global bookkeeping standards in GD's accounting software
- Reconciling bank statements
- Participating in financial audits and in special reporting to donors and regulatory bodies (immigration, NGO regulator etc )
- Implementing payment and procurement protocols, including ensuring proper documentation and adherence to controls
- Implementing asset management protocols including asset verifications and reconciliations
- Preparing and presenting budget to actual reports
- Implementing compliance requirements from tax regulators and donors
- Assisting in budget preparation and management activities
- Assisting on other monthly and periodic close tasks as assigned with time
What you should have:
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, business, or equivalent practical experience.
- Professional experience in accounting or finance is an added advantage.
- On track to complete a professional qualification (CPA/ ACCA).
- Working language competence in English and French
- Competence in advanced excel is required.
- Alignment to GD values (listed below).
- Bonus: Ability to work in a fast-paced, start-up, or matrix work environment.
- Recipients first - We prioritize recipient preferences over those of donors or ourselves.
- Team next - We do what’s best for organizational - not individual - success.
- Be proactively candid - We say what we believe, and are honest in sharing information.
- Create positive energy - We strive to be a source - not drain - of energy for our colleagues.
- Think rigorously; act quickly - We are intellectually rigorous with a drive towards action - not debate.
- Accept reality. Propose solutions - We do not dwell on problems. We work actively to create solutions.
- Be productively ambitious - We take the risks to pursue industry-changing success, not incremental progress.
- Know yourself and grow - We recognize and accept our imperfections with a focus on growth.
Read more about our ongoing diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts here and about our decision to move our central support teams to remote first here.
About the hiring process
Format: The hiring process follows the same general outline for all open roles:
First interview (30 mins)
Take home skills assignment (~2 hours)
Second interview (1 hour)*
Third interview (1 hour)*
Final interview (1 hour)
Reference checks (30 mins each)
*For some roles, second & third interviews are combined into a panel interview. If there are adjustments or variations on this process, those changes will be communicated during the first interview.
Venue: We conduct interviews over Google Meet with camera on (unless communicated otherwise).
Accessibility: Closed captioning is available during all Google Meet interviews, and interviewers will also post interview questions in the chat box throughout the call. If you need assistance accessing either of these features, please let your interviewer know at the start of your interview!
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**
Something looks off?