Internal Audit Field Manager
GiveDirectly (GD) provides cash grants directly to people living in extreme poverty. GD has raised over $800M since launching in 2011, delivered cash to more than 1.2 million recipients, and launched offices in 11 countries. We’re continuing expansion across the Global South. Over the past decade, GD has also supported large-scale, experimental research, expanding the evidence that cash has a positive short and long-term impact on recipients. As a result, GD has been celebrated as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company, while the growing cash transfer movement (and GD’s leading role within it) has been featured in the New York Times Magazine, This American Life, Foreign Affairs, and The Economist.
Across our global offices, our culture is candid, analytical, non-hierarchical, and agile. We work alongside 750+ individuals who come from 21 different countries and speak 69 different languages. Team members at GiveDirectly attest that diversity, equity, and inclusion are not just buzzwords, but a fundamental part of our culture and values. We actively seek to recruit individuals from the communities we serve, and use DEI as a lens in our hiring practices, programs, and initiatives. Our goal is to maintain a workplace where everyone can bring their authentic selves to work, and feel valued and respected for who they are. We continue to grapple with balancing inclusivity of all cultures and experiences while maintaining cohesion in our values. While there is much that we are still learning, we take care of one another, have fun, as well as provide flexible working hours wherever possible.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or any other status protected by law.
Job Type: full-time
Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Reports to: Program Manager
Weekly work Hours: 40 Hours
Travel Requirement: This position is based in Dhaka but may require occasional travels to the field.
About the Role
The Internal Audit Field Manager will play a central role in ensuring that GiveDirectly delivers a gold standard product to donors and recipients. The IA - FM serves as the key eyes and eyes of the organization on the ground and will be responsible for regularly synthesizing updates on team performance as well as field successes and challenges.
The Internal Audit - Field Manager will work entirely independently and separately from the rest of the program teams. He/she will be firewalled from the rest of the field program teams.
The manager will lead a programmes audit team who monitor, detect, and resolve program-related risks like fraud and safeguarding violations. They will own the overall program audit process, including tracking performance of their teams; achieving survey and case resolution targets; building a culture of mentorship and professional development; and identifying opportunities for risk mitigation and process improvement
This role will require sharp judgment on operational issues and challenges, strong communication and interpersonal skills, exceptional personnel management and a strong commitment to GiveDirectly's values, mission and model. This role will require regular travel to the field locations we are working in.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assess underlying causes of risks related to GiveDirectly’s unconditional cash transfer programs
- Take the lead in investigating suspected fraud and abuse, including communicating appropriate matters to the Program Manager for the necessary escalation and / or resolution.
- Lead the internal program audit team in detection of risks such as safeguarding, fraud, abuse, undeclared conflicts of interest; by ensuring confidential reporting, proactive detection, in-depth investigations and case management of the risks whenever they occur.
- Provide the lead in examining the quality of the program team’s data against set GD data quality standards and report any cases of inconsistency.
- Develop and own team work plans for all projects
- Work with other GD global data teams to develop survey tools required to perform the function.
- Conduct team quality checks through field and remote calls shadowing and data reviews of team investigations and case notes
- Ensure cases and issues open for investigation are resolved as per the set timelines
- Create and maintain reports and dashboards that reflect team performance in relations to the set team target.
- Model ethical behavior that encourages the team to adhere to GD policies and to also report misconduct within GD staff, partners, community and recipients
- Conduct staff career growth needs assessments (through structured surveys and 1:1 sessions) and liaise with the country HR Manager to deliver robust professional development sessions internally and externally
- Identify, interview, hire, onboard and retain high capacity program audit country teams
- Develop a team with a high capacity for problem solving, critical thinking, and strong analytical and communication skills
- Work with country support teams - Human Resource, Finance, Administration to ensure your team has everything they need to perform their work.
- Maintain an active, visible and consistent commitment to the standard of behavior and ethics that is required throughout every aspect of the organization as stipulated in the Code of Conduct Statement
- 4+ years working with vulnerable communities.
- Experience working in a similar role (for example: risk management, beneficiary protection & safeguarding, fraud prevention)
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to show respect and openness toward someone whose social and cultural background is different from one’s own.
- Strong understanding of how local community governance structures operate.
- Empathy, honesty, and the highest standards of integrity. High emotional intelligence and interpersonal skills, especially with talking to people living in vulnerable communities
- Excellent critical thinking and decision making skills. Strong ability to show good judgment when resolving complex problems
- Technological literacy – the manager will be required to use smartphone, tablet, or computer to accurately record recipient data and run analysis to inform reporting and decision making.
- Strong interest in advancing the distinctive values and mission of GiveDirectly
- Experience working in Humanitarian and International NGO settings, including working in partnership with local CBOs and NGOs to ensure aid deliveries to vulnerable persons.
- Fluency in Bengali, and other Bangladesh official languages
Nice to Have
- Professional proficiency in English is highly desired
- Fluency in other Bangladesh languages is also helpful
About the hiring process
Format: The hiring process follows the same general outline for all open roles:
First interview (30 mins)
Take home skills assignment (~2 hours)
Second interview (1 hour)*
Third interview (1 hour)*
Final interview (1 hour)
Reference checks (30 mins each)
*For some roles, second & third interviews are combined into a panel interview. If there are adjustments or variations on this process, those changes will be communicated during the first interview.
Venue: We conduct interviews over Google Meet with camera on (unless communicated otherwise).
Accessibility: Closed captioning is available during all Google Meet interviews, and interviewers will also post interview questions in the chat box throughout the call. If you need assistance accessing either of these features, please let your interviewer know at the start of your interview!
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**