Senior Program Manager (Flex)
GiveDirectly (GD) provides cash grants directly to people living in extreme poverty. GD has raised over $800M since launching in 2011, delivered cash to more than 1.2 million recipients, and launched offices in 11 countries. We’re continuing expansion across the Global South. Over the past decade, GD has also supported large-scale, experimental research, expanding the evidence that cash has a positive short and long-term impact on recipients. As a result, GD has been celebrated as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company, while the growing cash transfer movement (and GD’s leading role within it) has been featured in the New York Times Magazine, This American Life, Foreign Affairs, and The Economist.
Across our global offices, our culture is candid, analytical, non-hierarchical, and agile. We work alongside 750+ individuals who come from 21 different countries and speak 69 different languages. Team members at GiveDirectly attest that diversity, equity, and inclusion are not just buzzwords, but a fundamental part of our culture and values. We actively seek to recruit individuals from the communities we serve, and use DEI as a lens in our hiring practices, programs, and initiatives. Our goal is to maintain a workplace where everyone can bring their authentic selves to work, and feel valued and respected for who they are. We continue to grapple with balancing inclusivity of all cultures and experiences while maintaining cohesion in our values. While there is much that we are still learning, we take care of one another, have fun, as well as provide flexible working hours wherever possible.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or any other status protected by law.
Location: Nairobi, Lilongwe, Maputo, Kigali, Kampala, Goma, Monrovia, Rabat, New York, preferred. The role (s) may also be based remotely in other cities on the condition that the candidate has the legal right to work in that country and the time zone is within +/- 3 hours of GiveDirectly country offices being supported.
Reports to: Regional Director
Level: Senior Manager
GiveDirectly is in an exciting period of growth and is looking to bring on one or more Flex Senior Program Managers to support its global programs to both lead programming across the countries in which we operate, as well as establish operations in new countries. In this role, you will be crucial in developing opportunities for new business, building partnerships, and designing, launching, and managing new programs. This is an opportunity to drive impact and innovation in the cash sector at a time when cash is receiving unprecedented attention and interest in the public eye.
What you’ll do:
End-to-end project management
- Own a rich project management plan and coordinate with stakeholders to ensure successful end-to-end execution
- Design operational models for new programs, including assessing trade-offs of different design decisions (e.g. targeting, payments, customer service)
- Define, track, and report operational and efficiency metrics
- Dynamically identify operational vulnerabilities (e.g. fraud, brand risk etc) and create solutions to de-risk
- Directly supervise multi-layered teams whose responsibilities include field team hiring and management, operations quality assurance, and business diligence support
New Business Development
- Ideate, evaluate, and drive new program opportunities, driving end-to-end deal cycle from pitching to launch
- Scope new markets, including operational diligence, feasibility, and risk assessments for pilots and inbound proposal
- Identify and pursue fundraising opportunities for new programs
- Collaborate with partnerships team to create content to drive donor conversations and position GiveDirectly as a leader in the global cash space
Project and People Management
- Lead cross-functional project teams, managing internal stakeholders and ensuring strong delivery of projects.
- Directly manage one or more Managers to deliver high-quality operations and programming
- Create a strong team culture rooted in GiveDirectly’s values. Cultivate and grow exceptional talent.
- Establish and maintain high-quality relationships with donors and operational partners
- Drive communication and alignment across a variety of internal and external stakeholders including GiveDirectly senior management, donors, operational partners, researchers, and payment providers
What you bring:
- Exceptional alignment with GiveDirectly Values and active demonstration of our core competencies: emotional intelligence, problem solving, project management, follow-through, and fostering inclusivity. We welcome and strongly encourage applications from candidates who have personal or professional experience in the low-income and/or historically marginalized communities that we serve.
- 4-7+ years of work experience in a problem-solving heavy role (including but not limited to: field management, consulting, analytics)
- Exceptional ability to work analytically through complex operational questions & run robust analyses to inform management and programming decisions
- Strong communications skills, including speaking, writing, presenting, and negotiating across diverse audiences
- Enthusiasm for dynamic environments where work can change quickly
- Ability to approach tasks with resourcefulness and to work in a highly self-directed manner
- Ability to manage day-to-day operations while simultaneously building more robust, efficient systems for the long term
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- Experience and high comfort level working in developing-country or high-risk settings
- Ability to to travel up to 50% of the time including spending extended periods (up to 3 months) working out of the country where you are based
Preferred Skills and Experiences
- Fluency in multiple other GiveDirectly working languages (French, Portuguese, Arabic)
- Experience working in conflict settings
At GiveDirectly, we strive to pay our employees generously and equitably. We use an accredited third party salary aggregator to ensure that staff’s total compensation package (base compensation + bonus) falls within the 75th percentile of similar roles, at similar organizations. We also have a no negotiation policy to ensure we are paying staff equitably across roles.
- The gross Kenya base salary for this role is $70,671.
This role is fully remote, so if you are not based in Kenya, we will share an estimated salary benchmark for the country you are based in during the hiring process.
Why work at GiveDirectly?
At GiveDirectly, we work to ensure that you have everything you need to excel in your role and on your team, including:
- A positive and supportive team with opportunities for advancement
- A demonstrated commitment to helping all staff develop and grow
- A competitive salary
- A monthly benefits allowance that covers health, dental, and vision monthly premiums
- Unlimited PTO (that we encourage staff to take!)
- Desk allowance.
Read more about our ongoing diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts here and about our decision to move our central support teams to remote first here.
About the hiring process
Format: The hiring process follows the same general outline for all open roles:
First interview (30 mins)
Take home skills assignment (~2 hours)
Second interview (1 hour)*
Third interview (1 hour)*
Final interview (1 hour)
Reference checks (30 mins each)
*For some roles, second & third interviews are combined into a panel interview. If there are adjustments or variations on this process, those changes will be communicated during the first interview.
Venue: We conduct interviews over Google Meet with camera on (unless communicated otherwise).
Accessibility: Closed captioning is available during all Google Meet interviews, and interviewers will also post interview questions in the chat box throughout the call. If you need assistance accessing either of these features, please let your interviewer know at the start of your interview!
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**
Something looks off?