FreeWorld seeks an experienced, proactive, and detail-oriented Grant Writer to support FreeWorld’s private and public funding goals. The position reports to the Grants Manager and liaises with the Revenue Development Team, including the CEO and Director of Government Partnerships.
As a valued member of our team, you will support FreeWorld’s revenue team by securing philanthropic, government, corporate, and individual donations. You are passionate about our mission at FreeWorld and understand the outsized and life-changing impact that your work will have on our student’s success. You will persuasively communicate FreeWorld’s mission and programs to potential supporters and explore emerging funding opportunities.
To end the era of mass incarceration and generational poverty by:
- Placing returning citizens into high-wage careers at scale.
- Developing a self-sustaining revenue model to accelerate our growth. Today, we are using income share agreements
- Creating systemic change by leveraging our incredibly deep layers of graduate data in partnership with the Criminal Justice System to become the Gold Standard for re-entry
What you'll do
- Prepare accurate and compelling grant proposals and reports, grant reports, and other grant-related materials (e.g., one-pagers, information summaries, etc.)
- Conduct prospect research to identify philanthropic, government, corporate, and individual giving opportunities
- Work with FreeWorld staff across the organization to capture information for proposals and report narratives
- Draft speaking points for donor meetings and speaking engagements
- Support grant development processes, including note-taking and managing project timelines
- Maintain detailed records of reports, benchmarks, and milestones
- Maintain accurate CRM records (FreeWorld uses Affinity)
- Assist with stewardship of institutional donors, including drafting donor communications, such as email updates and impact reports
- Attend prospect meetings and build relationships with donors alongside the rest of the Revenue team
- Proofread/copy edit grant proposal/report narratives
- Other responsibilities as assigned
What you’ll have
- Excellent writing and analytical skills
- Minimum 2 years experience in grant writing, prospect research, and/or donor relations
- Ability to articulate outcomes and interpret and present program and financial information
- Government grant and individual donor experience preferred
- Knowledge of politics and policies around criminal justice reform is a plus
- Familiarity with CRM databases and/or SQL/relationship-based databases
Where you’ll work
FreeWorld is a 100% remote company.
Board of Directors
- Jason Green - Founder - Emergence Capital, Endeavor, Kauffman Fellows
- Andy Bromberg - Co-Founder and President - CoinList
- Jason Wang - Founder/CEO - FreeWorld
- Kumar Garg - Managing Director - Schmidt Futures
- Read our FreeWorld Culture FAQ and our FreeWorld Company Values and if you still think you are a fit….
- We have a 15-minute introductory call. If we love each other, then…
- You complete a brief task related to the role (such as submitting a work sample).
- You meet 1:1 with a member of management for one hour to discuss your previous experiences and career goals.
- You meet with a few additional team members for a 30 min (each) focused interview.
- Last but not least, we talk to a few of the folks you worked with, and if all goes well, we agree on terms.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time position. The compensation for this position is based on experience, but we are targeting $55k - $70k.
- Remote work flexibility
- Team-centric Culture
- Health & Disability Insurance (medical, dental, vision, mental health)
- 401k Employee Contribution Plan
- Employee Success Plan (Flex benefit for wellness, professional development, and more)
- 15+ paid holidays, generous PTO
- Creating tremendous impact at scale